ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Photos

Clio 172, Pug 106
Right then...... Few months back i treated myself to the Canon 1100d with 3 lenses.... (17-55, 70-300 and a 50mm)...

I am going with a friend of mine to Ten Of The Best this sunday adn will be taking the camera along but with only really being a novice to photography im still not 100% what would be the best settings to use..

I wont be doing many images of the cars moving, they will mainly just be the ones parked up etc!!

Ive had a little mess with some of the settings in AV mode and ive briefly read the guides on there, but none of my pictures come out as well as id hope.. Some of the pictures in the "ive taken a pic" thread are fantastic, so id love some that i can put in that thread!

Can anyone advise what would be the best camera setting(s)to use and any other tips for the day?

Cheers in advance

Justin

RB 182 Cup
Buy / borrow a polarizing filter, they are invaluable for car photography to reduce reflection from all their varying and shiny surfaces.

Don't be afraid to tilt the camera to take photos at odd angles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342982745.207212.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342982886.457760.jpg

Or close up at odd bits of the car

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342982792.936312.jpg

Don't feel the need to get the whole car in, vents, curves, mirrors can you great just on their own.

Don't be afraid to get down low or above a car also, different perspectives from what are normally seen are interesting and new to look at.

At the end of the day, it's what you like in the photo and just enjoy it.

A shallow DoF by using a large aperture (small f number) will allow you to blur the foreground / background and reduce distractions in you photo.

Clio 172, Pug 106
Brilliant cheers for that info!!

Like i say with being new to the camera im just trying to get my head around all the settings etc

I usually have the ISO speed on "Auto" as i am not 100% sure what the best setting is yet... just about getting to that section in the book haha

i knew when i got the camera it wouldnt be easy to learn but eventually i will get there!!

I upload pretty much everything ive taken on to my FlikR so il add a few on here when i take them!

RB 182 Cup
I always try and set my ISO as low as i can, if the camera allows it to jump up to 800 or so, your images may appear grainy. Setting the camera to shutter speed priority (1/125 sec minimum possibly) and allowing the camera to adjust your aperture should ensure your images are all well exposed and not blurry, but if you want to blur your background, adjust to aperture priority. Program or fully auto is always a good fall back, but you'll need to check what the camera has chosen before you take the photo, it might have given you a 1 second shutter speed, which if hand held will blur.

If you've got the opportunity, using a monopod or resting the camera on something can help decrease camera shake hugely. A bean bag or something to rest the camera on can be just as good.

Clio 172, Pug 106
Ahh cheers for that... that would explain why some of my pictures from the isle of man were abit grainy!!

Ive got a year until i go next year so i have plenty of time to learn and get them good
If you have a minute and you have Flikr my link is on my profile... have a little butchers at some of the pics i have uploaded and any comments that could help would be massively appreciated!!

Think i might take the camera out this week while im doing nothing and practice a bit ready for sunday!!
Who knew photography could be so technical :D

Cheers Justin

Clio 172, Pug 106
all the examples put up are fantastic!!!!

I shall have a look in Jessops tomorrow for a polariser!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
For static car shots, composition is key. Unfortunately, car shows are generally a pain due to people walking in the background, other cars parked, people causing shadows, etc. May be worth having a google about the rule of thirds, although the aforementioned problems generally make sticking to it tricky. Look forward to seeing the pics mate.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Just seen your pictures mate. I don't know Canons so can't really comment on the EXIF, but I'd definately work on composition.

That second shot for example, instead of placing the subject dead central, try playing with the rule of thirds. Eg:

7182918457_22118f0d26.jpg

Just by knocking it off centre (down/left), IMO it makes it a nicer shot.

Car looks fantastic btw mate!

Clio 172, Pug 106
Cheers for the help..

I know what you mean about the car shows, il jsut use my tripod as a weapon to remove people haha!!

Good shout about the "rules of third", i will do some research on that....
Like i say ive not long had the camera so im literally just learning from scratch, id previously used my piephone or a crappy point and click jobby!!

Cheers for comments on the car.... :)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh Luke. Back in your box with your toy camera...

The important exif on any camera is the same no matter if its a Canon, Nikon or iPhone. Aperture, shutter speed & ISO. The rest doesn't really matter tbh.

When my comp finishes installing the new Lion I'll take a look. What don't you like about them? You said you weren't happy...?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Lol at toy camera. Toy camera that is better is lower light conditions that a 7d? Ouch.

I was at work so couldn't look properly, I was just referring to the fact it was shot in 'AE'. Now to me, as a Nikon user, that means f**k all. It could mean auto for all I know. If that's the case, me going on about shutter speeds/ISO/rah rah rah wouldn't mean anything.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I like to imagine the area I see through the viewfinder to be split up into squares, and then place the car in those squares. This usually means putting the car in the corner of the picture. Like so...

7652637550_5a8d00fd15_z.jpg

Cream Bug. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

7616639750_8fd5367734_z.jpg

Corvette C6 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

7281316514_9dbf4fe8a8_z.jpg

Perry's Po. by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

I kinda just played around when I got my first camera. It's the best way! Also, I usually use about 5% of the pictures I actually take LOL.

Clio 172, Pug 106
Cool pics them...

Thanks all for your advise....
I had a bit of a play at TOTB.. happy with some of them but it was quite a rushed day!

Im going to go on a drive out when we eventually get some good weather up north! Will give it a proper go then :)

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
No need to wait for good weather, overcast can look good if you play around a bit:

1280x720-50197f014a4d3.jpg