ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie with a 182

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Morning,

Ive been lurking for a while within the forum gaining the information needed to rectify some of the issues ive had on my newest Purchase.

Recently purchased a 2005 Clio 182 registration starts EHZ - incase it was anybody's. looks a good car was just slightly neglected prior to my purchase. Initially it was just going to be a track car, however ive enjoyed driving it around so im going to use it as a Weekend/track Hybrid.

Ive done the following in the 4 weeks of ownership -

- X4 new drilled and grooved discs and Mintex pads (PBS for track)
- Braided brake lines front and rear
-X4 injectors - one was bad but worked out cheaper to buy 4.
-New racing HT leads
-X4 Spark Plugs
-Soldered the Air bag wiring under the seats to eliminate the Airbag light
-X4 New Uniroyal rainsports 5
-Re welded exhaust hanger and new exhaust rubbers
-Tracking
-Lanoguard the whole under side of the vehicle.
-Made some 3d Printed OZ centre caps and resized to fit my wheels.
-Created 3d printed fog deletes/Cold Air feed.
-New rear caliper and Bleed nipples all around.

Still a few more bits to do like re paint the inlet manifold as it's been blue at some point.
Ive still to do the belts and dephaser but require the tools before i attempt this. Belts look in good nick but ive no receipt for when it was last done.

Ive ended up buying a knock off clip unit for an issue with the steering angle sensor. Tracking seems to have thrown me the -89k steering angle sensor issue which wasn't there before tracking. I guess this just needs calibration, just looking through the forum for advice how to use this so i can take my car and get it MOT'd.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
I must admit i have had a little look at power upgrades i.e the 197 cams etc.
However ive decided im going to keep it tame. The only thing i would change would maybe be the seats and wheel at a later date. However the seats are some of the comfiest ive sat in a long time, just abit tall.

Been a first to Renault its certainly been a steep learning curve but much less rust than the Fords :)

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Good work. Hope it all goes to plan!
Out of interest, where did you get the 3d file for the OZ caps?

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Good work. Hope it all goes to plan!
Out of interest, where did you get the 3d file for the OZ caps?
Managed to find a chap that had designed the STL and sent him a message.
Im happy to send it through to you if its any good. The STL is quad stacked which makes it abit of a nightmare to print, so has taken me a few trial and errors in prusa.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I must admit i have had a little look at power upgrades i.e the 197 cams etc.
However ive decided im going to keep it tame. The only thing i would change would maybe be the seats and wheel at a later date. However the seats are some of the comfiest ive sat in a long time, just abit tall.

Been a first to Renault its certainly been a steep learning curve but much less rust than the Fords :)
Welcome.

With regards to the calibration of the angle sensor, I did a short piece on one of my threads regarding this. See the link - https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-track-car-daily-projects.830168/page-2#post-11849892 Hopefully it's not the sensor as you'll struggle to find a good working one these days, but you might get lucky 🤞

I didn't use clip, but a general diagnostic tool.

I'm curious as to why you soldered the wires for the seat airbags, as these can be switched off using clip.

There's also a really good video on YouTube by Stone Automotive showing you how to do the belts, once you get the correct tools. The video is here -

Looking forward to seeing progress.

Reactions: Gus

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Welcome.

With regards to the calibration of the angle sensor, I did a short piece on one of my threads regarding this. See the link - https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-182-track-car-daily-projects.830168/page-2#post-11849892 Hopefully it's not the sensor as you'll struggle to find a good working one these days, but you might get lucky 🤞

I didn't use clip, but a general diagnostic tool.

I'm curious as to why you soldered the wires for the seat airbags, as these can be switched off using clip.

There's also a really good video on YouTube by Stone Automotive showing you how to do the belts, once you get the correct tools. The video is here -

Looking forward to seeing progress.

I saw it two fold, with the wires for the drivers side thorassic air bag relatively easy to get to i thought id give it a go first. Also if you turn them off they wont deploy in a collision ( or im led to believe). I use some heatshrink solder joints and takes literally 2 mins with a heat gun.
Ive found a lad whos breaking one and luckily he still has one so ive got one coming. Hoping it just needs the calibration redoing.
I couldnt find the option to re calibrate the angle sensor on my Launch diagnostic device. But will have a nosey through your guide.
Cheers for the vid, ive seen the internet debate for the real tools vs the ebay ones. im still deciding on which to take the plunge for.

Anakin

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi TT RS Clio 182
Welcome! Mine was meant to be the same, I've mostly ruined it for the road now in favour of track.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
I needed to do a few more bits for the MOT, mostly buying a laptop and Clip/hardware. After my tracking had been completed it constantly threw up an ESP light whenever i started the car and moved the wheel slightly. once I plugged Clip it, it took less than 25 mins and i had my steering angle recalibrated.

I lanoguarded the underneath to give it a bit extra protection. However i have half a container left so im going to give it a second coat in the harder places.

Passed today with no advisories. been abit of a slog to get it ready but is now a nice little car.

Ash007ks

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Clio 182
Got any pictures of the car?
These are what I took on the day after I got it back to mine and started to strip it. I'll get some more now it has a test on it.

Also the fog inserts I 3d printed.

Attachments

• 20231023_102033.jpg
    20231023_102033.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20230928-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20230928-WA0004.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20230928-WA0007.jpeg
    IMG-20230928-WA0007.jpeg
    722.4 KB · Views: 33
  • c97930d3-a3b0-422e-acd3-1ec439f105c3.jpg