ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car Polish, Online Which Report

Quote: Originally posted by blaupunkt on 05 August 2004

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 05 August 2004

A pure polish will actually feed/nourish your paintwork

A wax will simply protect and shine

A cheap polish autoglym included will slowly cut away at your paint as it contains abrasive agents.

I would imagine all of the products tested were called wax-polish or polish with wax - and to be avoided with a bargepole!

but the autoglym extra gloss protection will not as its none abrasive, it even stats this if anyone cares to read the label or check out their website, i agree it might not be the very best you can get but it is good and does bring the car up well.

so unless they are doing about of false advertising which i doubt then not all autoglyms stuff are cutters, altho 2 are and this is also stated IF you read the labels
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
I said if you read the original post before replying too soon that autoglym polish is included so why refer to the gloss protection - i didnt!!!:)

Quote: Originally posted by blaupunkt on 05 August 2004

A pure polish will actually feed/nourish your paintwork

A wax will simply protect and shine

A cheap polish autoglym included will slowly cut away at your paint as it contains abrasive agents.

I would imagine all of the products tested were called wax-polish or polish with wax - and to be avoided with a bargepole!

but the autoglym extra gloss protection will not as its none abrasive, it even stats this if anyone cares to read the label or check out their website, i agree it might not be the very best you can get but it is good and does bring the car up well.

so unless they are doing about of false advertising which i doubt then not all autoglyms stuff are cutters, altho 2 are and this is also stated IF you read the labels
I said if you read the original post before replying too soon that autoglym polish is included so why refer to the gloss protection - i didnt!!!:)

because it read like you were making a generalization about all autoglyms products and not being very specific to which of the "cheap autoglyms polishes" you were refering to, i was just stating that autoglym do infact make a "none abrasive polish" or what ever you wish to call it.

and i dont see why i cannot refer to this product either unless ofcourse its because it does not fit in with the "everything else is crap and you MUST use zymol, mothers etc etc" or be labled an idiot who knows nothing ;)

3 Series xdrive

ive been using AUTGLYM polish and extra gloss for the past 5 years, i used it on my pug for over 4 years and it did not damage the paintwork in the slightest. nuff said.

3 Series xdrive

yes that is good stuff, easy to use and gives a good finish, i always do it with autoglym super resin then with autogylm extra goss protection as it lasts for ages.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Red dosent fade quicker. BUT, it does oxidise quicker than any other colour. This means it can look as if its fading. As long as the car is given the proper regular upkeep it will always look as new.

autoglym products are old school they do what they say on the bottle no more than that .i use to use there exhibition paste very good on a white car that i had at the time .but super resin polish with exrta gloss is ok you will get a clean finish .you will not get the same depth of shine as say with mothers and zymol which depending on which wax you use from the zymol range you should get what i call a warm look in the paint and added slikness and depth.autoglym will not do that you just get a clean shiny surface.

3 Series xdrive

well, im not sure about the warm paint, but ive tried most products on the market and still find that autoglym comes up best

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 03 August 2004

what a load of rubbish - here we go again ! so thats why red ferraris go "pink"

what a load of mailto:s@:$e">s@:$e!!!

do a search omar on here for people who have experience of the entire range of waxes and poeple like girlracer who talk out of there backside.

:mad:

calm down! most cars pre 1995 were rarley laquered with isosianate based laquers and therefore faded red for some unexplained reason shows this fading more than other colours.

ferraris dont fade cos 1 they were laquered properly and 2 their owners looked after them a bit more than old mrs hubbard did her fiesta.

polish and wax do work in similar ways but wax is useless on an older car as it has no cut in it.

wax and polishes fill the tiny pitts in the paint/laquer surface smoothing out the surface and making the light reflect more evenly giving you a nice shine.

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 02 August 2004

There is a great deal of confusion between Wax and Polish.

This has been created by manufacturers, due to poor labelling.

I hear the word "polish", and immediatey think of abrasives/cutting agents, which take a tiny bit of paint off, to reveal a fresh shine.

I hear the word "wax", and think of wax (ie stuff you get in candles), which will leave a protective layer on the paint, and give shine.

Heres the tricky part:
Which products are protective (wax), and which are abrasive(poilsh)?
How often should you polish?
Should you polish at all, unless it is absolutely necessary for your car to look brand new?

I used to use Autoglym super resin polish on my Kawasaki. After two years of owning and polishing, one day I found a load of Green Paint on my polishing cloth. Gutted.

Now Im a bit more careful, and a lot more confused.

Regards,

Oms.

oms

i only use wax on the new 182 (every other week)as the paint work is new i will use polish every 6 months or so to use the cutting ability of it to rework the laquer

only use something like autoglym super resin a couple of times a year otherwise you will remove all the laquer and have you kwaki situation allover again

credentials I am operations director for www.evalet.co.uk

[Edited by iceblue182 on 06 August 2004 at 1:11am]

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Quote: Originally posted by GirlRacer on 03 August 2004
Back in the G reg days they were probably still using cellulose paint which was much better than the water-based paint used now!

well done for sounding even more stupid, paint used now isnt water based its got friggin cyanide in it, its called 2 pack and you use a oxidiser to mix it, its not waterbased

Clio v6

Probably only going by what we are told by bodyshops and other official sources.

"In 1999, Renaults Douai plant started using water-based paints for its vehicles. This technology considerably reduces airborne pollutant emissions."

you should only need to clay a car between 2-3 times a year depending on how much use the car gets and where it is parked.you only need to polish the car if the paint is scratched other wise you can use pre wax cleaners which do not cut but chemical clean the paint surface and this again 2-3 times a year .you can apply glaze as many time as you like as this will improve the paints ability to hide swirl marks .and you can wax as much as you like to hold in the oils from the glaze and to protect your finish.

just one little thing if autoglym is so good why do they not do a clay bar .the only way to get a clean paint surface without marring the paint is by claying the car first.megs, mothers and zymol all do clay bar kits all these companies know the importance of claying the cars paint work before you apply any form of polish or wax.as i have said before autoglym is old school they have not moved on with the times they are still only intrested in the fast buck garage lines where quality does not count but name Autoglym seems to the average joe is a well respected brand as you see it everywhere.garages are run by the accounts not by detailers .a true detailer would wash your cars making sure not to leave swirl marks or scratches in your paint.then clay your car to make sure all surface contamination was taken off your car.then your car would be cleaner waxed then have a good glaze applied and then on top of that a minimum of 2 layers of finest wax all done with good quality cloths and microfiber cloths.plus all the interior cleaned and the engine bay cleaned aswell .this should take them at least the day . you would be lucky if they spent a couple of hours on your car and if it got polish /wax .so why would you want to use something which is designed for mass cheap selling techniques of garages when you are looking for a range of products which can win you a concours event look.

oh and red ferraris do go pink with age may be not as bad as vw or audi or fords but they do go .

Quote: Originally posted by topshotvaleting on 07 August 2004

you should only need to clay a car between 2-3 times a year depending on how much use the car gets and where it is parked.you only need to polish the car if the paint is scratched other wise you can use pre wax cleaners which do not cut but chemical clean the paint surface and this again 2-3 times a year .you can apply glaze as many time as you like as this will improve the paints ability to hide swirl marks .and you can wax as much as you like to hold in the oils from the glaze and to protect your finish.

just one little thing if autoglym is so good why do they not do a clay bar .the only way to get a clean paint surface without marring the paint is by claying the car first.megs, mothers and zymol all do clay bar kits all these companies know the importance of claying the cars paint work before you apply any form of polish or wax.as i have said before autoglym is old school they have not moved on with the times they are still only intrested in the fast buck garage lines where quality does not count but name Autoglym seems to the average joe is a well respected brand as you see it everywhere.garages are run by the accounts not by detailers .a true detailer would wash your cars making sure not to leave swirl marks or scratches in your paint.then clay your car to make sure all surface contamination was taken off your car.then your car would be cleaner waxed then have a good glaze applied and then on top of that a minimum of 2 layers of finest wax all done with good quality cloths and microfiber cloths.plus all the interior cleaned and the engine bay cleaned aswell .this should take them at least the day . you would be lucky if they spent a couple of hours on your car and if it got polish /wax .so why would you want to use something which is designed for mass cheap selling techniques of garages when you are looking for a range of products which can win you a concours event look.

oh and red ferraris do go pink with age may be not as bad as vw or audi or fords but they do go .

I hear what your saying top shop but the market for this high end service is too small to involve big volumes.

until the likes of zymol and mothers reduce prices only bespoke detailing companies will use their products.

main dealers and garages dont need to detail their stock so they dont bother

I may have had a good run in 7 years of working in the industry i have never seen a pink ferrari

point been is that there is a market for everyone.

if you think the product is good for your car then use it - as with most products there are better products out there and you will only see the difference when you line two of these up against each other.

most people cant afford zymol but if they were crap they would not be in business at these prices but like with autoglym there is a market and fair play to those who use it but dont ever try to convince me its the "best" out there !

but if it works for those who buy it good luck to them - Im sticking to Zymol as it does a stunning job on my much valued collection.

what it costs to do a car out properly is minimal in the scale of things for a car dealer the better the car on the forcourt the better the chance of sale so quicker the turnover of stock .the public has been conned for far to long on what a clean car should look like the standard should be a lot higher as we pay a lot for our cars in the uk we should at least see something for our money.lets say it cost the dealer £300 pounds for the car to be detailed properly they charge this amount for paint protection cons which do not enhance the finish of the car what is the difference.if you are going to buy a new car what would you rather have

A .a paint protection product applied to your car which in 6months down the line wears off showing swirl marks and paint work which has never been clayed

B .a car properly detailed and with in 6months yes your wax has worn off but the finish is not marred with swirls and scratches and is free of contamination due to being properly clayed.

personally i would go for B everytime as i would at least know my car was being cared for and was not just a number in the cycle of things.

the dealer pleading poverty is just an excuse to rip the consumer off even more.they would not dare fill your car up with non full synthetic oil when it needs full synthetic so why apply cheap products and technique to your cars paint finish .its the same thing they are still damaging your pride and joy.and how many people on here do not allow the dealer to wash the car when in for a service because they know it will not be done properly and will be damaged.

ferraris do if not cared for go a dull red the beginings of the pink effect as i said not as bad as vw audi or ford but they do go off .

i dont think anyons saying that autoglym is the best you can get but you said it your self mate "the average joe" id say the average man on the street does not know about zymol, mothers etc, he also does not have 8 to 10 hours over say 2days to go through all the cleaning stages, all this person wants is to wash the car and give it a quick "polish" of some sort to make it look shiney and he will do this every 1 or 2 weeks.

also sutoglym is alot easier to get hold of, iv been to 3 places now to try and buy something else but all they sell is colour magic, T-Cut colour magic, autoglym, turtle wax, and 1 or 2 other brands iv never heard of.

i dont really want to buy off the net or download an order forum form some compneys website iv never heard of and post a cheque to them and this seems to be the only way i can buy mothers, zymol etc so it looks like i will have to chance it as i want to try some and what if i did not have net access (like alot of people) then there is no way i would be able to get it.

[Edited by blaupunkt on 07 August 2004 at 9:16am]

dk

911 GTS Cab

er you ring them up and pay by credit card after having found the number. There are no many people who do not have access to the internet so that is not an excuse, it is just like ordering anything over the phone.

blaupunkt my point about autoglym was that its use in garages and by valeting companies making out it was something special when it is only just a little better than the usual commercial rubbish that is used in garages.

Ford Fiesta

you prob dont see a pink ferrari as people who buy these cars look after them, if that is with autoglym, or any other product using autoglym a couple times a year is better than doing nothing or using washing up liquid which is probably what most old fords get treated to hence they go pink.

liam they are out there unlooked after ferrari there is no paint work except the new one by merc and bmw i think if i remember rightly which are ceramic based i dont know how they will react over time .but all paint will fade over time unless it is protected with a wax or synthetic coating.and im not talking about super gaurd or dwelbrite or autoglym life shine or so called teflon coating the paint will fade no matter what if it is to be used.

Remapped derv Golf

Is the step 1 (paint cleaner) in the megs 3 step similar to clay barring on is it worth doing the cray bar and step 2 and 3 instead? I did all 3 steps the other day and that most of the swirl marks had gone.

Ford Fiesta

you cant stop swirl marks, look at any car at an angle in the sun and they will have them. some worse than others. Even ones in showrooms have them.

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 07 August 2004

er you ring them up and pay by credit card after having found the number. There are no many people who do not have access to the internet so that is not an excuse, it is just like ordering anything over the phone.
<SCRIPT language=javascript> tbh mate thats rubbish (about the net) roughly half the population have net access yes that sounds like alot, but when you break it down to who these people are (about a 1/3 are kids) then the amount of them that would be looking to use and buy this type of product from the net its minimal (see this link http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/01/half_of_uk_homes_has/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/01/half_of_uk_homes_has/), you would be suprised how few people order stuff from the net from fear of not knowing who they are buying from, just because you use the net to buy stuff does not mean everyone else does, also if you dont know X or Y product even exsists then why would you look for it, as for me personaly maybe i dont want to pay by credit card maybe i want to pay by cash ;)

topshotvaleting, i know you were matey ;) and i agree when i picked up my 182 the other week it was clean but it was not gleeming at me if you know what i mean, if i had paid for that they would have been told exactly what i thought, i cleaned it afew days laster with the autoglym stuff cos i have abit left and it looked ALOT better than their effort i must say, i think they washed the muck off it and that was it maybe it was a blessing in disguise (read the next bit ;) )

last week a guy from peugeot came into our shop and asked if we could do some work for them, i asked him if he was a valeter for them and he said yes.. aha! my chance to ask him some questions!! i asked him about clay baring the car, what prewax stuff he recomended and what pure wax he could recomend (can never have enough opinions on stuff like this;) ), he told me that they use an "all in 1 product", i cant rememebr the name of it now or who supplied it to them but he said they wash the car then use this stuff cos it seals and waxes at the same time, he asked me what i was using now i said autoglym then i want to try some mothers or zymol etc his words were, "hmm just use autoglym mate its good stuff" he then said he might be bale to get me abit of the stuff they use to try if i wanted to LOL, i told him it was ok and not to bother

[Edited by blaupunkt on 07 August 2004 at 5:30pm]

course he would suggest autoglym! he promotes it !

i tell you this - no way would I ever let that product anywhere near my cars both company and personal - it a lot due to marketing and you use what you believe in. i know for a fact my mates dont use anything else except zymol on their cars- if you own a valuable commodity watch, car, house, boat ec you use the best available if you believe in it and not this high street junk which halfords promote.

would you use autoglym on a £150,000 f40 ? i dont think so . zymol evey time .

but then i noticed a guy waching his merc AMG 55 at a texaco jet wash today
with the brush which had just been left flat on the floor !!!!!!! scratch city !!!

some people dont deserve such fine cars !!!!! he probably dont even use autoglym !

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 08 August 2004

i tell you this - no way would I ever let that product anywhere near my cars both company and personal - it a lot due to marketing and you use what you believe in. i know for a fact my mates dont use anything else except zymol on their cars- if you own a valuable commodity watch, car, house, boat ec you use the best available if you believe in it and not this high street junk which halfords promote.

with the brush which had just been left flat on the floor !!!!!!! scratch city !!!

some people dont deserve such fine cars !!!!! he probably dont even use autoglym !

Thats because he probably has more sense and uses Turtle Wax Extreme followed by Turtle Wax gloss finish!

Quote: Originally posted by 172Fast! on 08 August 2004

youve lost me whos promoting autoglym ?

i also dont see why you could not use it on a £150,000 f40 after all the extra gloss protection will not damage(cut) the paint work, ok it might not give it the best deep glossy shine in the whole world but it will make it shine and look nice.

and while you say zymol is the best other say mothers or meguirs, just because something is the most expeicive (which zymol seems to be) does not automaticly mean its the best product ;)

absolutely blaupunkt - agree with your last sentence %100 but i would never have autoglym on my cars and my mates dont either. i think there are btter products and to spend a few extra quid you can see a much better finish.

oh and girlracer, you never cease to amaze people on here about how stupid you really are ! keep it up girl - your doing a sterling job !

now please continue to tell us all how car paint is created ? and whats in it !!!! ??????:p carrot time !