ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car ramps

172 Cup
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice.

I am planning on buying some car ramps and have spotted a set in the local halfrauds for a reasonable price, but they are just normal ramps.

I have a 172 Cup, woukld these ramps be suitable?

If not where should I be looking and what ramps do people on here use?

Thanks

:D

Yozza Track 172 /106 gti
If they are the ones im thinking of i struggle getting my grandads car on which isnt exactly low :dapprove:

Yozza Track 172 /106 gti
Yeah the ones ive got are similar just arnt nice and orange like that lol.. I have a problem with them sliding forward when pulling on to them as well. I really doubt your clio is going to go on them even if it isnt lowerd, only way round it is to use some wood to stop them being so steep if you know what i mean. Your best bet is get a trolly jack and a couple of axel stands :approve:

172 Cup
Yeh I get the idea with wood, would be pretty easy to make an extension I suppose. I am planning on lowering a little, no coilovers involved.

I don't know why, but axle stands make me worry :( What do you use then?

If you get some, be careful when drive up them with the front of your car, I've broken my splitter twice on them and smashed one of my arch liners (the bit that goes under the bumper). Oh and if you've got block paving on your drive put something under them because they really scratch it when you're driving up them.

I won't use them again, I just make do with a trolley jack and axel stands.

172 Cup
How much for a decent trolley jack?

I have noticed that axle stands are pretty cheap, should I be avoiding these cheap oneS?

E36 M3. 182
My standard 1.6 was too low for normal ramps. Just invest in a trolley jack and some axle stands, youll never have to buy them again.
And remember, you cant work on your suspension/ brakes on ramps.....:cool:

I got my axel stands from Halfrauds for £20ish I think and I got a trolley jack from Machine mart for around £30ish. Halfrauds do a kit that has both of them I think, or they use to.

172 Cup
I got my axel stands from Halfrauds for £20ish I think and I got a trolley jack from Machine mart for around £30ish. Halfrauds do a kit that has both of them I think, or they use to.

Yeah I saw that kit the other day, it was pretty cheap for what you get.

Just wondering do you use anything to back up the axle stands if they give or should they be trusted.

Cheers for everyones input so far.

Yeah I saw that kit the other day, it was pretty cheap for what you get.

Just wondering do you use anything to back up the axle stands if they give or should they be trusted.

Cheers for everyones input so far.

I normally trust the stands to be honest, if you're worried though you could just pump the jack up and place it under the jacking point I suppose, you'd have be pretty unlucky for them both to give way lol

E36 M3. 182
Axle stands are more trustworthy than leaving it up on a jack imo, all it takes is someone to knock/piss around with the jack while its got the cars weight on it, and down it goes.... Put it this way, ive had my clio on axle stands for up to a week in the past, and its not done any harm. just need to make sure you get the stands in the right place.

screw fix i think i got mine. Stands were a few quid each and jack £8 ish.

Check the site for sure but had no problems so far and usually jack it up once a month

172 Cup
I will get these on the way home from work then and let you know how I get on at the weekend with my oil change, If I'm still here to tell the tale ;)

I will get these on the way home from work then and let you know how I get on at the weekend with my oil change, If I'm still here to tell the tale ;)

Lol. Not to sure how I am to be honest, I once changed an exhaust on my Zetec-S whilst using the crappy jack you get with the car. :eek:

Dangerous times lol

a black one

Just make sure you use the jacking points. Also i find a block of wood on the jack helps ...makes it a little more stable and doesn't destroy the under seal as much ;)

172 Cup
Lol. Not to sure how I am to be honest, I once changed an exhaust on my Zetec-S whilst using the crappy jack you get with the car. :eek:

Dangerous times lol

Haha that is definately not advisable, you must be a cat!

Good shout with the wood, thanks.

Haha that is definately not advisable, you must be a cat!

Good shout with the wood, thanks.

Lol The drive I did it on had a slight step down in the middle just placed the over there and jacked one side up. Yeah not advisable, I was s**tting myself all the time I was under the car because those jacks you get are made of cheese.

Also if you're not 100% certain of where the best place to place the stands are and where the jacking ponts are, there's a thread in the guide section pointing the them out ;)