ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car stuttering at 5k

Clio 172, mk1 fiesta
Hi chaps,
I bought an 02 plate 172 recently and lately the engine light has come on the dash and the car now seems to backfire/misfire over 5k revs. I was thinking coil pack but surely it would do it constantly as opposed to just over 5k? There previous owner told me he had issues with it before and was told it was the throttle body but he said it was then taken off and cleaned. Should I start by changing the throttle body? Any helps welcome.

Thanks in advance

Clio 172, mk1 fiesta
Is that the one which is 2 10mm bolts? Should I whip it off and give it a quick rub with some wet and dry to get it shiny again or just replace it? Will it throw up a code and tell me if it's the crank sensor etc?

Clio 172, mk1 fiesta
I've had dodgy HT leads before on my fiesta and they change with heat etc when the resistance grew, this misfire/backfire seems to be really aggressive.

dan's cast offs.
crank sensor can give a 'hard cut' around 5,000rpm. can feel like a rev limiter, won't throw a code. chuck a new one on.

obviously get it plugged in first just in case but sounds like sensor.

Clio 172, mk1 fiesta
I was going to describe it as something like launch control/rev limiter. I'll get the codes read Saturday and chuck a new crank sensor on Monday. Is there any particular one to choose or is it an eBay special job?

dan's cast offs.
get one from euro, new type with blue plug. they do a facet one, have fitted loads of them without issue.