ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car washed and now limp home mode!

Clio 172
Hi.

Hope someone can help

I put my car through the car wash and it went into Limp Home mode mid wash. Its now stuck in limp home mode.

Can someone help? The wiggly line and emissions light are both on.

Cheers,

Scott

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I had this. Take it a good (slow, obviously) drive and it'll dry out and fix itself (or atleast mine did) plus the Engine management light went off on it's own too a day later. Oh, and wash your car yourself! :p

Clio 172
Leaving it running outside of work for a bit now, see if it dries out. Its revving itself up when started now, and taking a little while to calm down but does calm down. Any ideas?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Make sure no one knicks off with it while it's running lol.

Not sure why it's idling high then back to normal again, have a look under the bonnet and see if anything looks a bit too wet.

Clio 172
Make sure no one knicks off with it while it's running lol.

Not sure why it's idling high then back to normal again, have a look under the bonnet and see if anything looks a bit too wet.

lol if anyone wants it my address is...

Fingers crossed it will dry out. Nothing actually looks wet though.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Leaving it running outside of work for a bit now, see if it dries out. Its revving itself up when started now, and taking a little while to calm down but does calm down. Any ideas?

I had this too mate, exactly the same. Was quite creepy hearing my car rev, as if someone had the foot on the accelerator. I took mine a 20 mile drive and it was ok after a while. It'll be one of the sensors deep down, there's loads of them!

FF Clio 182
I get this problem regularly could be the TPS

I had same problem went banger racing parked up absolutely hammered it down, turned car on and it was in limp mode. After rain stopped left it running for 30 minutes and it fixed itself.

mine does this got code for throttle everytime i usually disconnect it clean the connections and then use my code reader to clear the code mine never sorts itself out have to always clear the code i guess the throttle doesnt like water much

I used to get this when it had rained heavy. When driving the spray off of the car infront soaked everything and boom - limp home mode. Solution ive done to fix this issue is very simple, but effective :) dry them all out completely (the sensors) , then on every connection put a tiny layer (just 1 roll round will do) , of electical tape or something. That stops water getting into them. Sounds silly but i havnt had any trouble since!

Hope that helps,

Clio 172
Left the car running outside for a hour and a bit, light went off followed by some random revving them sorted itself out completely. No more car wash, shame, did a bloody good job!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Left the car running outside for a hour and a bit, light went off followed by some random revving them sorted itself out completely. No more car wash, shame, did a bloody good job!

Wouldn't have left it running though, not really good to leave them idling. I'd have just took it for a blast after work! Let all that steam off after work haha :) Glad its sorted. You should probably give under bonnet a coat of WD40. The water will run off it :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Hi.

Hope someone can help

I put my car through the car wash and it went into Limp Home mode mid wash. Its now stuck in limp home mode.

Can someone help? The wiggly line and emissions light are both on.

Cheers,

Scott

OH DEAR !!! paint will look like someones gone over it with a brillo pad when the suns on it !!