ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car washes - scratch paintwork

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

ive been lazy and using the car wash, now i have noticed small scratches to the paintwork.(mainly in direct sunlight) i have pearlesent black car so it seems to show up real bad.

Do i just need to give it a t-cut colour fast once over?

or is there some better stuff on the market??

i never ever use car washes with brushes in. go to a hand car wash, maybe dearer, but no scratches and it comes out like its just off the dealers floor.

I noticed on my car next to the wheels there are massive circular scratches where the wheel brush has obviously missed or is still spinning when it moves up the side of the car. I wouldnt mind but ive only used the carwash twice!!

Ph1

Its a well known fact that car washes damage your paint ...... its a bit like rubbing sand paper over the car ouch

ive never put any of my cars through a car wash, i know sometimes it too cold or you just cant be arsed to get out and do it yourself but the best results are always bucket and sponge, no damage to the paintwork that way seen too many cars totally ruined by carwashes

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

yep regreting it now, if only my house wasnt set back 25 meters from the road, such a hassle to wash it, hand car wash, not one in my area that i can think about:(

check n got some t cut black stuff, all i need now is a garage, i tell ya this movin out getin your own house aint that good, no garage. no outside frickin tap.

anyone got a garage in derby i can use for a couple of hours!?! please! a strange one i know but pm me.

T-cut could be a little harsh, depends how bad the scratches are.

See if you can see if you can find Meguiars Scratch X fine scratch & swirl remover its a polish specially formulated for removing those sort of marks. Then go over with a good wax or sealant.

Mr Sheep: T-Cut do a version for metallic paint - its not as harsh as the full-blown proper T-cut but should do the job of getting all the small scratches out. I used to have a black car and would never have another - look sooooo good when clean and polished, but shows up every single bloody scratch. Also found that coloured polish was good as hiding the scratches.

I still seem to end up with washing scratches despite handwashing with a hosepipe, bucket and sponge. Dont know what Im doing wrong. (last time I used a car wash was 8 years ago - took my old mans rover through with the aerial still up - shhhiitttt!)

Cup 172

AGMitch

I take it you rinse the car thoroughly before you actually wash it by hand? Otherwise your still rubbing all the caked-on sh*t into the paintwork before it actually washes off!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

ive got the black t-cut colourfast but i dont mind spendin money on a really good product ill have a lokk for this one today:

Meguiars Scratch X fine scratch & swirl remover

does it matter how often you use t-cut colourfast, i know that normal t-cut is pretty harsh and should only be used very few times of a cars lifetime, surley not the same for colourfast??

Volvo S60 D5

I wouldnt put the Clio through a car wash!! I wash mine by had (powerspray + soap + sponge & rinse) about twice a month, and will give it a full wax about twice a year. Itll also have a professional valet once a year too.

I stick the Volvos in the car wash though, cos it never seems to damage their paintwork, theyre white and they just too damn big to wash by hand, it takes fookin ages!

Keep it clean using a Jet Wash preferably hot.

Dont use the brush, they scratch too.

Polish it once a month and the sh*t just falls off at the Jet Wash.

Wash under the arches as well after all the road salts been dumped everywhere.

Drive home fast then just leather the last few drops off.

Worked on mine for the last 11 years.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

lesson is learnt, gave it a t-cut colourfast on the roof today to see if the scratches would go, improvement but not totally gone.