ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Car won't turnover and all dash lights lost after I turn the key

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I'm trying to get my clio 172 to fire up after reinstalling the engine .

Engine was removed , it's had a new clutch , cambelt and de phaser fitted while it was out the car .

ive connected my earths .

ive got power to the dash . First time I turned the key all the dash lighted up but did not even try to turn over .

remove the key and then insert and then no lights on dash come on ?

any ideas ? Could this be battery related ? I bought a Bosch battery about 3 months ago and it was in my garage waiting to be fitted .

Im still dubious whether i might have a bad connection on starter motor as I has to connect these while on my back .

any ideas people :-(

dan's cast offs.
as long as the battery is ok then first port of call is connections on starter, especially if you are a bit iffy about them anyway.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah what the best way to get at them ?

As when I connected them , the car was on axle stands and I was lying on my back and couldn't actually see the connections properly so cant gurantee that exciter wire and bolted connection could have a bad contact.

From above I cant see the connections either at the moment , would unbolting manifold help ?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did this and it turned out to be the battery.

The battery had no symptoms, showed 12V, trickle charger indicated it was fine, etc etc. As soon as I turned the key, nothing!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The battery is brand new and it has been in my garage for 3 months waiting to be fitted.

Could it be that it faulty maybe ?

I charged it up for about 3 hours and it said it was full.

turn the ignition all dash lights came on but doesn't even try to turn over !

But try again then no dash lights come on so maybe it is a faulty battery.

I bought it from euro car parts so will have to take it back and hopefully its this

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Mine did exactly that.

Open car, key to pos II, dash lights all on, try to start, dead, no lights, nothing.

My battery was supposedly 'perfect' too.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I will have to check the fuses etc in case it is somethink like this.

I will put a multimeter on the battery to see what the voltage is reading and see if it starts the corsa without any issues.

Megane r26
Check the connections, does it jump start of leads or boost pack?

If not try bumping it in 2nd and if it fires up then it's a starter problem. Also make sure the alternator is charging once running.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I haven't got a booster pack and haven't got leads .

Will see if my mate can bring some down on the weekend .

I need to check the starter connections for sure

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Going to investigate today . Checked battery voltage . It's reading 12.4v

im going to remove inlet and unbolt manifold to see if I can get a good look at the starter motor connections . May use a mirror as I know I can't see from
above or below !

any other suggestions after that ?

Really need to get this running . It's been over 2 years :-(

anyone fancy a day on it with me ? I can supply take away sweets and cuddles ha ha

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Battery is ok as it starts the corsa .

noticed the dash lights display seems to be flickering slightly so wonder if there's a bad connection ?

would starter motor connection cause dash display issues ?

182 ff
sounds like an electrical problem check the earth...follow the earth from the battery ,see were it goes.if its loose, make sure its tight,

check fuse box for water.. check brown relays (one at a time) check contacts and clean.shouldnt be green.
the starter motor shouldn't effect the lights flickering ..only starts the engine..
I have had same problem, was water getting in the fuse box... as we have had a lot of rain..might be that ..

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
68E19F4C-54FF-4F36-98B5-17A7C55A7B73.jpg

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
It could be somethink like that as the car hasn't moved for 2 years ! So could be damp .
It's just odd as I charged the battery fully . Turn the ignition and all lights come on but after that the lights seem to fade away then nothink .

Battery is fine as it starts my old corsa ok .

i removed starter motor connections. Big one goes to the long shaft with thread and smoothe and the exciter wire just pushes on and there's is one already on by a nut .

so don't think it's that .

maybe it's one of the big relays or summit

182 ff
try to bump it see if it starts,, is there a tick tick ticking noise when turn to start it? do all your lights work? radio ?
I have aa home start , its worth the extra cost .. if you have basic aa, push it round the corner phone them up. that's what I used to do...

Last edited:

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah no seem to be local to give me a hand .

Whats best to use to clean relay contacts ?

182 ff
as dan check the earth 1st.. clean with sand paper .. have to fault find in steps.. might be making another problem.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Dan I've got all them earths bolted . I've got it bolted to the gearbox case via one of the gearbox bolts .

could it be because I've painted the box it may have a bad connection ?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
That's where it's bolted ? Is that right ?

im just going to remove the bolt and sand it and will so this for the one under wheel arch and the ones by where headlights go .

it has been standing for 2 years so the weather has probably got the better of it :-(

182 ff
if the bolt is touching the paint.. need to take it off where it makes contact..just incase that's the fault.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The dash lights are staying on now but still not doing anythink when I turn the ignition.

I havent got the lamba sensors plugged in yet ? Anyone know if this will prevent it trying to fire ?

also I had a new clutch fitted and de phaser while engine was removed , would there be any reason why this may prevent it from running .

wondering what to check next ?

Anythink else to check I may have missed when re-fitting the engine ?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The red alarm light is solid and stop and service lights remain on when put the key to ignition.

tried locking and unlocking also !

Looks like alarm immobiliser issue ?

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Will take some pics tommorow .

it's definately better than it was as the dash lights were hiking out .

I checked starter motor connections , and checked relays in engine bay and cleaned the pins .

will check earth on passenger arch Tomoz . Anywhere else dan ?

Will lamba sensors not be plugged in stop it from trying to start ?

182 ff
I think it would still work without the lambda sensors.. just run rich..just connect them anyway..

check all earths and battery connections.. then try this....

to reset the immobiliser ....
1. Turn ignition on to the second click and leave the car door open so you don't get locked out.
2. Disconnect the battery. (8mm spanner on negative terminal)
3. Wait for 2 or 3 mins.
4. Re-Connect battery.
5. Turn the key off and remove.
6. Get out, shut the door and lock the car.
7. Un-lock the car and try to start it.

see is that works.....

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Cool will try this in the morning .

just trying to figure out anythink that may not be connected

phase 1 172
Key in turn to position

1 for 30s
2 for30s
Back 1 for 30 then remove key wait 30 and try starting

My uch is t**t too

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Will try this in a minute once I've put the strap back on buddy !

its doing my head in !

still haven't got to enjoy this car yet !