ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

carbon canister

M3, Cup racer'd 182
As above cupman29.
I blocked my breather for the fuel line (under the car) as it's quite close to the exhaust so not got good as vapours are more flammable, cheers mirko.

I'll add some pics later so people can finally understand how or what to do.

BG 182 FF
The main reason I first removed mine was due to a horrible ticking noise which is fairly common.

Right last night I disconnected the battery for 10 mins and had the electrical plug plugged in. Started her back up and no difference. :/

BG 182 FF
Anyone got the part number for this? Might just have to get a sodding new one so the light goes away! :(

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Here's some pics for everyone that's also going to remove ther carbon canister.
Sorry about the quality of the pics (iPhone)
1st step disconnect battery and remove bumper and o/s headlight.

Disconnect both pipes and leave the electrical plug connected tie it up with cable tie's.
ac70205e.gif

Trace the pipes to where there connected and cut them neatly and plug them i also wrapped insulation tape around the plug.
Pic inlet manifold area
f9ecde91.gif

Fuel tank area some people leave this in unplugged but as it's so close to the exhaust i decided to plug it as there is also a breather in the fuel filler cap
758be696.gif

Hope this helps others that is considering doing the same thing.

BG 182 FF
Tried a resistor today as well across the two prongs of the electrical connection, again, no difference. Still have the engine management light on.

Out of interest why does everyone bother plugging the cable from the inlet manifold? Why not just leave it plugged in with the electrical connection?

Ph1
May as well get rid of it, it's only there for bollox EU regulations I think.

Its like toe nails. They do nothing but you wouldn't go to the trouble of removing them lol

Can appreciate removing it for the brake duct. Other than that, seems a lot of hassle for no point

172/1.2/E30
Tried a resistor today as well across the two prongs of the electrical connection, again, no difference. Still have the engine management light on.

Out of interest why does everyone bother plugging the cable from the inlet manifold? Why not just leave it plugged in with the electrical connection?

When the solenoid gets activated by the ecu, you´ll have a nice little air-leak. That´s why you block the pipe from the inlet.

Clio sport phII
sorry for unearthing old topic. Is it possible that I have a check engine by a carbon canister valve?
Computer shows an error carbon canister control valve.
Cheers

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
sorry for unearthing old topic. Is it possible that I have a check engine by a carbon canister valve?
Computer shows an error carbon canister control valve.
Cheers
Yes it is. If it's been removed or not plugged in then you will get a light. If removing I normally just leave the purge valve plugged in.

Clio sport phII
But I have not disconnected the plug. Check engine appears yesterday and returns after erasing. Does this mean I have to buy a new carbon canister?
Cheers

Mini R56 JCW 211bhp
Can the carbon canister click loud enough to sound like a knocking in the offside wheel area while driving?

Renault Clio 4, 2016
sorry to reply to an old thread - I read once that if you have the orange engine light on dash on a clio 2 (because of disconnection of a sensor, or if you had a fault on a sensor but replaced the sensor) that if your sensors are OK but you still have the engine light showing on the dash that if you drive the car up to around 100 miles the engine light turns off itself without having to put it on diagnostic machine to reset/clear. - any truth in it?

Also the mrs just bought a Clio 2 16v 1.2 2003 and the previous owner (or one of them) had taken out the solenoid valve out of the canister and tied it up behind the headlight. Well I have stuck me finger in the hole in the top of the canister and it seems to be wet, I reckon water has been getting inside , I was thinking to let it drain out naturally (and without the hassle of removing the cannister from the car) - i was thinking of getting underneath the car and drilling one or 2 small drill holes in the bottom of the cannister to let the water drain away (and therefore dry out the activated charcoal) will this work? - yep her solenoid valve makes a loud ticking noise (like a machine gun) and works for about a minute or 2 after the engine is switched off - its weird, and yes its annoying too ...