ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbon fibre re lacquer ?

clio 172 phase 2
I was given a carbon fibre splitter from a friend of mine , basically the lacquer is peeling what do i need to do to prepare it for re lacquering ?

107 Track Car & C4
I need to do this on my carbon diamond, is there any special laquer to use on carbon?

All sorts
As said above really, use some wet and dry and flat it all off, if the lacquers peeling really bad you may be able to gently scrape it off.

Any high gloss good clarity 2pac lacquer will do as its strong when it sets, try and use scratch resistant as it will stay shinier for longer.

Hope this helps

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I recently refurbished my carbon splitter as it was covered in stone chips and turned a white ish matte colour.

Started off with 800 wet and dry and worked up to 1500 I think, or 1200.

Then a couple of coats of laquer, letting each coat cure of course :)

I was happy with the results considering the bits cost me approx 10 pounds

All sorts
I recently refurbished my carbon splitter as it was covered in stone chips and turned a white ish matte colour. Started off with 800 wet and dry and worked up to 1500 I think, or 1200. Then a couple of coats of laquer, letting each coat cure of course :) I was happy with the results considering the bits cost me approx 10 pounds

The only thing to watch out for is if the lacquer completely cures and you re-apply another coat as the second layer won't adhere to the first and eventually this will flake off. Learnt that through trial and error lol

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The only thing to watch out for is if the lacquer completely cures and you re-apply another coat as the second layer won't adhere to the first and eventually this will flake off. Learnt that through trial and error lol

Ye sorry, I should've mentioned that. Cheers

Either bin it and buy a skoda splitter.

Or sand all the lacquer off and apply megs tyre gel to it everytime you wash the car! Thats what i did.
Matt look with a bit of glistening;)

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Either bin it and buy a skoda splitter.

Or sand all the lacquer off and apply megs tyre gel to it everytime you wash the car! Thats what i did.
Matt look with a bit of glistening;)

Re lacquering works though?

I might try some of that tyre gel on mine for even more gloss!
I just wish I took more time refitting it to the car as it sits in a tiny bit

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Carbon is actually gel coated in most cases not lacquered hence some issues with trying to flatten and re-lacquer. Does work though.

All sorts
You can still lacquer gel coat though, it's just a case of getting it to key with the prep work.

If its keyed in properly lacquer will last years on carbon fibre items as it does on the paint work of your car.

All sorts
I doubt halfords would sell it, due to its nature they normally sell the cellulose type.

Ebay is the best bet or a local paint supplier will have some.

Carbon is actually gel coated in most cases not lacquered hence some issues with trying to flatten and re-lacquer. Does work though.

most bits that has been carbon wrapped will be gel coated, anything which is a prepreg component from the likes of streamline carbon will be lacquered.

All sorts
most bits that has been carbon wrapped will be gel coated, anything which is a prepreg component from the likes of streamline carbon will be lacquered.

I'm not sure of streamlines set up, but they may also use a thin film of gel coat or epoxy before putting the pre-preg carbon into the mould.

I only really use lacquer on overlaid parts as the clarity it gives is excellent compared to some of the clear gel coats.