ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carbs vs. injection

OK, I want everyone to say theirs opinion about advetages/disadvantages of carb/injection.

My mates and I had a argument today...they say carbs are better...I strongly disagree...

We aretalking about "normal" sports cars like S16, Clio and 19 16V, and rest of GTI class...

They say its better to make those cars run on carbs, and I think thats ridiculous...

Your opinion? :D

i dont know much details but id say injectiong, simply because carbs are setup by the twist of a screw (or similar) to adjust how rich the fueling is. Whereas injection is more precise and therefore IMO better.

ARGH!!!! b*****d!!!

wrote a whole bunch of stuff and now its gone.

Carbs are nowhere near as efficient as injection systems. Firstly carbs rely on the simple fact that fluid travelfrom high pressure to low pressure areas. Carbs use air velocity to create a pressure differential across the main jet circut with chokes and aux venturis etc etc. Then to meter the correct amount of fuel you need to faff about with the correct choke sized and venturi tapers, aux venturis, main jet sizes, air correctors, emulsion tubes. And thats only for the main fueling curcit. And for accleration enrighment you use a simple pump which spurts a set amount of fuel in all the time, not very accurate. When your on part throttle there isnt sufficient air velocity to create the pressure differential needed for the main circut, so you have idle control and progression circuts just so the engine can just roughly keep running....works, but itsnt great.

Injection is far more efficient. The main benefit is from the array of sensors which allow the ECU to deliver precise amounts fo fuel from injectors since their delivery rates are knows aswell. Injection systems are barometrically aware, temp aware, load aware, engine position and speed aware. Couple this with the fact that you can introduce ignition control at the same time means you can create a far better burn ultimately, creating more torque per combustion....so ultimately more power.

Injection systems also have far less in the way of obstructions in the inlet tract from start to finish, less to create turbulance and remain closer to true isentropic flow. Thus you can run a smaller body bore to attain the same power, leading to better low rpm cyliner filling as less energy us removed from velocity int eh creation of velocity.

Inection will always make more torque and power than carbs, providing they are of the same setup i.e. individual runners or a plenham.

Put simply....injection systems know whats going on, carbs dont.

I would say it depends on the car . My modified 205 gti was converted to carbs as the crappy standard injection/management system couldnt handle the uprated cam .

The Clios is much more sophisticated than that and carbs would probably be a backward step . They may ultimately gain a few bhp at the top-end , but the low down torque and throttle response would be hurt so much it would be slower . Throttle bodies however would be a totally different ball game .

Never tried it though and never would , if I was to uprate the induction it would be throttle bodies .
Edited to say , there you go Bens just given you the full run-down .

[Edited by Mark@Ritchspeed on 05 May 2004 at 11:19pm]

Your 205 injection system is old.....and is the only reason why straight shot single runner side draughts make more power. Stick on some TBs and youll have a far nicer car. Lumpy cams and MAP sensors done like the absoute pressure pulses.

And on a clio, carbs only gain peak power because the std manifold design is pap.

Yeh , to be honest I only used the Dellortos as I had them in the workshop from a modified mk2 Cortina 1600e . It only cost me the price of a 2nd hand manifold and some jets , so it was worth doing and cost peanuts .

It wasnt absolutely perfect , but was vastly better than the standard injection set-up for releasing the power . I sold the car on anyway and the next bloke loved it .