ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carpark Damage

172 GTR

If someone opens their door onto your car in a public carpark and causes damage to your car, can you demand their insurance details as an accident has therefore occurred?

If you had a witness and insurance details are refused does that constitute failing to give insurance details at the scene of an accident therfore you can call the cops?

Im interested to learn the law on this one!

Danny

2005 Impreza WRX STI

prob just classed as criminal damage? dunno really, if i witnessed it tho id demand money or do the childish thing and get revenge:devilish:

None

Classed as accidental damage. Against the law if you refuse to give insurance details when asked.

Was it the driver who opened their door onto your car? If it was the driver of the other car is responsible and liable for the damge to your car - even better if you have independent witnesses who are willing to give statements as this would be suitable evidence to provide in a small claims court if necessary. Try going through your insurance company first for advice, and if neccesary the cops + get some pictures of the damage.

If it was the passenger, im not so sure, may not be so straight forward as to who is liable - again check with your insurance company mate.

Im sick and f*ckin tired of door bangers in car parks not givin a f*ck about other peoples cars. I take 2 spaces as far away from the store every time to avoid b*stards like that - some people have no respect, they are too preoccupied in their own little world to think about others around them.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

None

Enen if it was the passenger the driver of the car is still responsable. Same thing goes with the seatbelt laws.

172 GTR

Quote: Originally posted by Maxx on 30 July 2005

Classed as accidental damage. Against the law if you refuse to give insurance details when asked.
its was an accident when i smashed into a car head on when i was 17 so i dont think that washes! I still got in the sh!t

It as has been said a legal requirement to disclose a vehicles insurance details, it is the vehicle that is insured so doesnt matter say if a passenger opens a door into another car, i dont know if your post is just a query over the point but if you do need someones insurance details on the sly let me know the reg number and date of accident and i will obtain details for you