ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice after incident on motorway.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Yes but surely the recording is worthless if it can’t be used in court

I’m not sure if you read my post correctly mate.

The recording CAN be used in court of it can be proved it’s in the public interest. I would suggest that when someone is attempting to try and commit insurance fraud it would definitely be in the public interest to let the recording be used in court.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If the only option is going through insurance you need to think about if you want the car to have a cat marker on it. New wing and paint wont cost much.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
His dad has called today to talk it over and seems reasonable. Surly if it goes through the insurer his lad will have his insurance cancelled for not declaring mods ect.

If I know insurance companies they probably won't even blink at that.

The claim damage is for a 3rd party, they'll just pay it and that'll be that.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
the police wont have anything to do with this apart from record it for insurance purposes.

best option to get it corrected yourself

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Call your insurance. But your screwed I think.

If he stated he’s voided his insurance because of the modification your insurance will pick up the tab. He will be seen as an uninsured driver so if your insurance company can’t claim back the cost from his, you’ll fork the rise in premium and lose ncb.

Clio 197
Surely it's in his best interests to settle without getting insurance involved as his will be void and he will have to declare it, plus your premium will most likely go up by just making your insurance company aware of the incident even though it was a non-fault. If he is giving you the runabout then going through insurance is the only way unfortunately.

scalino65

ClioSport Club Member
]I have it in mind that its illegal not to stop after an accident. I wonder if the police would see this an "accident". cant see any downside in nipping down to your local police station and having a chat.

182 cup
Yea I can imagine them doing a Cat D (or whatever it is now) on the car.

Needs a splitter, wing and probably the bumper as well, plus paint.

I can easily see the repair cost getting too high for the insurance.

This was my concern chuck the price of a curtesy car on top and you way over the threshold.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Call your insurance. But your screwed I think.

If he stated he’s voided his insurance because of the modification your insurance will pick up the tab. He will be seen as an uninsured driver so if your insurance company can’t claim back the cost from his, you’ll fork the rise in premium and lose ncb.

I don't believe that's correct. They won't be willing to cover his car, as it's not in the state his insurer believed it would be, but the third party element is still covered. Can you imagine otherwise? A bloke drives along in a ford mondeo with one tyre that's 1/4 of a mm past the wear marker, he has a major accident on the motorway and hits 12 other cars. Do you think they'd be able to wash their hands of the whole thing because of this? If so, insurance companies would hit every car with a fine tooth comb to not pay out any claim on any side.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yea I can imagine them doing a Cat D (or whatever it is now) on the car.

Needs a splitter, wing and probably the bumper as well, plus paint.

I can easily see the repair cost getting too high for the insurance.
Yeah especially seeing as though Insurance companies tend to go Renault prices for bumpers and wings instead of looking to get something repaired. The insurance adjudicator would just look at it and go "Naaaaah f**k that it's a Cat N"

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't believe that's correct. They won't be willing to cover his car, as it's not in the state his insurer believed it would be, but the third party element is still covered. Can you imagine otherwise?

Yes they pay out to the 3rd party, they'd even pay out if their driver was drunk or on drugs and caused an accident.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I don't believe that's correct. They won't be willing to cover his car, as it's not in the state his insurer believed it would be, but the third party element is still covered. Can you imagine otherwise? A bloke drives along in a ford mondeo with one tyre that's 1/4 of a mm past the wear marker, he has a major accident on the motorway and hits 12 other cars. Do you think they'd be able to wash their hands of the whole thing because of this? If so, insurance companies would hit every car with a fine tooth comb to not pay out any claim on any side.

This is the truth. They're always liable for third party claims (there are probably exceptions), people just like to play doom mongers on the internet "zomg, you tinted your rear windows, your insurance is going to cancel your policy"

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah especially seeing as though Insurance companies tend to go Renault prices for bumpers and wings instead of looking to get something repaired. The insurance adjudicator would just look at it and go "Naaaaah f**k that it's a Cat N"

I don't think that would be written off myself. My Clio got bumped a bit ago and was repaired fine. Needed a new xenon headlight wing and bumper respray, a new genuine splitter ( at their stupid price) and new arch liners and a courtesy car for a few weeks.

Good to see the OP got his ££'s though :)

182 cup
I don't think that would be written off myself. My Clio got bumped a bit ago and was repaired fine. Needed a new xenon headlight wing and bumper respray, a new genuine splitter ( at their stupid price) and new arch liners and a courtesy car for a few weeks.

Good to see the OP got his ££'s though :)

Car needs wing, fog lamp and front section or arch liner and lower grille. I settled at £800

Or declare his mods.

1 non-insurance claim solved, 1 knobhead still driving around with invalid insurance.

Exactly this.

But the system of insurance is fucked up so he didn't have much choice but to take the cash.

He'll either lose his car as its a 10/12 year megane so nowt special to the unobserved or he'll be stung on his next year's premium.

Tbh I'd have taken the cash too.

I never see the cause of the rage here, it’s only invalid for himself, so let him crack on.

Because it all adds cost to everything, and you have to be a dick to ride around with invalid insurance. I wasn't raging at OP, but the guy, so do you like/support invalid insurance? Why bother paying at all?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Well devils advocate here, but even if his insurance was valid he still wouldn't have fitted the splitter correctly.

The OP got a decent outcome, which is the most important thing.