ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Carpeting A Stripped Out Rear?

Up rocks
Currently my car has had the rear seats removed and a MSV rear half cage bolted in, as i have quite a few hobbies i'd like to be able to use the rear of the car to chuck everything in so would like to cover over the wheel well, carpet the lot and fit my cargo nets. As it is the rear is not great for transporting stuff as its all un level and bare metal which means things slide around and get knocked about.

So i'm after some inspiration and pics to give me some idea of how to go about it, so if anyones done any similar any info would be appreciated.

So far i'm thinking some very thin MDF or hard board to cover the sheel well and fill the boot then stick down one piece of carpet to cover both the MDF and the bare metal where the rear bench would have been. Sound ok?

Up rocks
Ahh yes, didnt think about ply, thats something to look at as theres a big plywood place 500 yards down the road from me :)

Clio 182 Cup
Bump old thread ftw.. shows I did search ;)

Got the cage painted up ready, got carpet bought... will buy some ply and laminate flooring underlay to cut some sound/knocks out.

Can use rear carpet as template for rear half of carpet, as the underside of the rear seats is not flat in the centre or at the side, how has anyone tackled this using ply? Any pics people? Thanks :D

And also would it be acceptable to use the rear part of the baseframe as a harness bar?

Trying to achieve this;

yellowbase.jpg

From something like this;

blackuncarpeted.jpg

Using this;

DSC00770.jpg

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you guys get your carpet from? Is it just acoustic stuff?

I'd thought about using some cardboard as a template to get a decent fit, or maybe even covering the cardboard too lol.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers!

As for the bar, I think most people with the msv cage bolt the harnesses to the floor.

Clio 182 Cup
Legend, this pic is exactly what I'm after... although I'd like to know how he's done it (wood etc) and if he's carpetted down the slope bits down each side...

attachment.jpg

Clio 182 Cup
If it's a 182 there is'nt a spare wheel well matey :)

Gonna paint mine one day...
I know mate, but where the seats used to be there is a curved recess, and slopes down the side towards the door cards... not sure how to go about this, whether wood over the main dip will foul on the base for an MSV.

I don't want to sort it all with wood/lining/carpet then come to fit the cage and find it doesn't fit/fouls.

Last resort would be paying an upholsterer/carpet fitted to just flow the carpet to the curves of the rear... I'm not sure that would look good :dead:

Clio 182 Cup
Thanks mate, thats a good picture... I don't think woods used there at all as I think I can see a slight dip where the seats used to be, and its flowed down the side slopes. I'm not sure?

ITB'd 182...
I know mate, but where the seats used to be there is a curved recess, and slopes down the side towards the door cards... not sure how to go about this, whether wood over the main dip will foul on the base for an MSV.

I don't want to sort it all with wood/lining/carpet then come to fit the cage and find it doesn't fit/fouls.

Last resort would be paying an upholsterer/carpet fitted to just flow the carpet to the curves of the rear... I'm not sure that would look good :dead:

My bad.

Although the Trophy does look good carpeted above.

More fast road than out and out stripped track car :)

My trusty lil 182 :)
I've done the same as the trophy:

DSC_0023.gif

I think it looks fine following the curves, tempted to change the carpet for a lisghtly darker shade though

Clio 182 Cup
Thanks for that mate, but I still think I'm going to use plywood like this photoshop. Want it to look as tidy and 'OE' as possible...

Hope sm_wrc doesn't mind me chopping his pics haha

plywood.jpg

PH1 172
The way I did mine was:

1) Old cardboard box cut a little bigger than the width and length needed

2) Bent the cardboard in and around the parts in the back of the car and then use a marker pen to mark where the bends are

3) Get a stanley knife and cut out the template, cut outside of your marks and then take bits off at a time

4) Get a nice thin sheet of ply wood (very light) about 4mm thick

5) Stick the cardboard template to the wood and draw around

6) Cut the wood

7) Now you will find that you can't get the wood in as it's too big so get the cardboard template, put it back in the car and mark a line where the seats fix into the side of the car (metal plate that allows the seats to fold up/down)

8) Using the template mark on the wood and then draw a line from one side to the other, cut along this line and now you will have 2 bits of plywood.

9) Now you will be able to test fit both parts in the car and make changes where needed.

10) Cover the 2 bits of wood using a good acoustic cloth (sub box material) in whatever colour you like.

11) Put the 2 bits of wood back in to the car and if done well it will all sit nicely

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=388631

Renaultsport 220T
Like that Cal, very neat job. Good Pshop skills too. Don't mind at all.

I'm not going to be putting any ply in mine though. No point in adding unnecessary weight. Maybe just some paint at some point.
;)

Flame Red Delight
sorry to thread hijack but how the feck do you get the rear seats out because i cant see the bolts that hold them in place :S

Qashcow
its between the 2 seats where they fold in the middle, royal pain in the chuff to get out - mine was anyway...

Clio 182 Cup
Like that Cal, very neat job. Good Pshop skills too. Don't mind at all.

I'm not going to be putting any ply in mine though. No point in adding unnecessary weight. Maybe just some paint at some point.
;)
Was just plastic corrugated stuff like For Sale signs mate, weighs fook all... as does the insulation stuff its just bubble wrap in foil basically!

any special tools or that i would need to use?

just a socket and wrench, or u could mess about with a spanner, no special tools really.

Not 100% sure, but i think when u took my back seats out they where held down with two bolts that you can reach from the boot. (17ml bolts i think, can't remember the Tsize)