ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Castle Combe Bike Races

Not sure what any of these are or what the hell was going on today really, but they were fast, a bit scary (some nasty crashes) and pretty loud. I think I was the only one there not in leathers, covered in tattoos or with my shirt off, but I enjoyed my first time taking pics of racing bikes anyhow...

177815842-L.jpg

177811515-L.jpg

177811534-L.jpg

177815864-L.jpg

177815732-L.jpg

177815760-L.jpg

177817769-L.jpg

177817779-L.jpg

More here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/3220692

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Hi Chris - really nice pictures.

Were you using the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S you have listed in your kit on smugmug? Do you use a teleconverter, and do you ever use the lens wide-open, i.e. 2.8, for motorsport or is the depth of field too small?

Also, does your lens have VR and is it useful for panning or do you switch it off?

Hi Chris - really nice pictures.

Were you using the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S you have listed in your kit on smugmug? Do you use a teleconverter, and do you ever use the lens wide-open, i.e. 2.8, for motorsport or is the depth of field too small?

Also, does your lens have VR and is it useful for panning or do you switch it off?

I was using the 80-200 yes, all of those bike shots are with a Nikon TCE-14 (1.4x) Teleconverter attached, and with that (280mm) it was still too short for bikes in most places.

I shoot motorsport using Shutter Priority, so on a sunny day shooting at 1/125 or thereabouts it balances out at about f22. It's never got dark enough to shoot anywhere near f2.8, to be honest a 'fast' lens is fairly pointless for this kind of thing, it just so happens that they are extremely sharp as well which is what you need.

It doesn't have VR, if it did I would switch it off, although most have a 'Mode 1' (that only corrects vertical movement, apparently better for panning) I still prefer to do it manually.