ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D Vehicles

Clio 172
I would never ever buy a Cat C or Cat D car.

Never gonna be back to factory standard, so many problems can arise from this and wont drive the same, obv depending on where damage was

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I would never ever buy a Cat C or Cat D car.

Never gonna be back to factory standard, so many problems can arise from this and wont drive the same, obv depending on where damage was

Possibly the biggest load of b****cks i've read on the internet.

It's funny how lets say a 200 could get smashed up today. Needs whole new front end. But because it's a very new car, it's worth fixing. It will be back on the road and you'll never know it was crashed. That's perfectly acceptable.

A ph1 172 needs a new light/bumper after a nudge in a car park and is written off because it's worth so little, nobody will ever touch it.

What people don't seem to realise is thousands and thousands of cars are crashed every single year. If they're not written off, they are repaired and back to the owners they go and eventually sold on/traded in or whatever. This never ever ever ever shows up on any sort of HPI check.

Lol, Cat D .

I'm not buying that car as it may have had its head lights changed and maybe some windows have been smashed in the past.

Last edited:
As someone else also said, it can be a case of a stolen car is found after the insurance has paid out.

'Oh noes, but they might have ragged' Well if someone is going to drive it harder than me, I'd like to see it! Lol.

I understand not buying cat c as some of the ones I've seen can be on the edge of being a cat b.

Clio 182
I understand not buying cat c as some of the ones I've seen can be on the edge of being a cat b.

If a new shell is available then it will be a cat C even with structural damage, repaired on the cheap will not include a new shell and the vehicle is basically unsafe if this is not done. Something to watch out for.

If a new shell is available then it will be a cat C even with structural damage, repaired on the cheap will not include a new shell and the vehicle is basically unsafe if this is not done. Something to watch out for.

Corr that's a bit dangerous as any top dick and harry can buy cat c's d's

There must not be manly new shells available then.

As the amount of cat b clios we get in (that a new shell would sort out), in your words they would be cat c's if a new shell is available correct ?

Clio 182
Corr that's a bit dangerous as any top dick and harry can buy cat c's d's

There must not be manly new shells available then.

As the amount of cat b clios we get in (that a new shell would sort out), in your words they would be cat c's if a new shell is available correct ?

At the end of the day if it is "technically" repairable, ie, you can buy a shell then it will be cat C, if a shell cant be bought from stock then we cat B it as the vehicle cannot be repaired.

And you are right, not may manufacturers supply shells anyway but it is something to look at for if considering a Cat C, I would always ask for the engineer report.

Just a quick note, my company does not offer the salvage back to our customers directly, the vehicles all get taken to Copart where the decision to release the vehicles back is with them.

Clio 182
  Clio 172

I said depending on where damage is. It never gonna be factory standard. That's s fact. If its had a side impact, damage to door, still could have damaged chassis. So please explain why your writing s**t like that?

personally id never touch one as its never going to be perfect, atleast one part of the repair will have to have been bodged

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I said depending on where damage is. It never gonna be factory standard. That's s fact. If its had a side impact, damage to door, still could have damaged chassis. So please explain why your writing s**t like that?

If my car gets keyed all over, it will be a cat D write off. This is fact as its worth about £500 to an insurance company.

So lets say that car is then bought back off the insurance company and repainted by my bodyshop to a standard that is flawless.

Are you actually telling me that its not going to be 'Factory Standard'??? Have you seen the standard of Renault paint??

Or lets say someone put all the windows through, Cat D but once repaired you'd never know. Sherlock.

Or lets say I have a minor scrape going down the entire side of the car. Doesn't need any panels, just repairs.

To say a Categorised car ''Will never drive the same again'' is a complete generalisation and b0ll0cks.

Come and see me at FCS/Trax next year and look at any of the cars i'll be bringing and tell me which one is a Cat C. You're more than welcome to drive any of them. I will put £1000 on it you can't tell me. And when it was purchased it was stoved right in.

Clio 172
If my car gets keyed all over, it will be a cat D write off. This is fact as its worth about £500 to an insurance company.

So lets say that car is then bought back off the insurance company and repainted by my bodyshop to a standard that is flawless.

Are you actually telling me that its not going to be 'Factory Standard'??? Have you seen the standard of Renault paint??

Or lets say someone put all the windows through, Cat D but once repaired you'd never know. Sherlock.

Or lets say I have a minor scrape going down the entire side of the car. Doesn't need any panels, just repairs.

To say a Categorised car ''Will never drive the same again'' is a complete generalisation and b0ll0cks.

Come and see me at FCS/Trax next year and look at any of the cars i'll be bringing and tell me which one is a Cat C. You're more than welcome to drive any of them. I will put £1000 on it you can't tell me. And when it was purchased it was stoved right in.

You don't seem to understand the words "depending what the damage was"