ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cat D write off?

LY R26 #288
Would you buy a Cat D write off if the price was right?. Cat d is only panels iirc?.

Any info would be appreciated.

Yozz'd up 182
Yeah 100%, my car is a cat D, just make sure you get it cheap enough.

Aslong as your not bothered about resale value or the fact some problems may need rectifying that havent been noticed.

Also its not always just panel damage i think its done on the percentage of cost to repair and vehicle overall value.

260% JCW
Cat D is body work, panels ect or stolen recovered. The insurance company though it would be cheaper to give the person the value of the car rather then repair it. Think its 75% of the value of the car then it gets written off.

ZX6R B1H
http://category-d.co.uk/

I work with crashed cars all day, and I would only buy a CAT C OR D if I could do the work myself or had seen the car still damaged. But Cat D's are usually written off for stupid little things even cat C's are give C status for pointless things. It totally depends on the car. The behind the scene stuff always bothers me...

182 FF Arctic
I sell salvage cars for a living & there are some bargains to be had I've had a few cat d cars myself as long as it's not too bent there's no problems as I can see :approve:

Stripped yozza'd cup
I think it's only 50% actually..... But yes, cat d is only superficial damage, just that the insurance company's can't be arsed to fix them.

But yes, I would definitely buy a cat d, for the right price of course.

Disastra Coupe
My Ducati is/was a Cat D. Stolen and recovered. It had been dropped but all it had done was bend the handle bar's and a scuff on the exhaust.

Bit of TLC and i've been riding it for 2 years now. Soon will be up for sale though as i want something a bit quicker. But it really has been a brilliant bike and cannot fault it one bit!

LY R26 #288
Is it? I dont know really! its extremely low milage. I dont think I'd go for it anyway tbh just wondered what peoples opinions were. I'd prefer a blue one!.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I wouldn't have said that was a lot of money?? couple of hundred quid over maybe, but it is a dealer.

Make sure you get a list of the damage that was done and reciepts for the work.

S4 Avant
The category that a car falls into, has no relation on the type of damage sustained. Cat D is not "just panel damage" it can cover, flood damage, fire, paint stripped etc...

The answer to whether you'd buy one or not, I'd say no. Not worth the hassle.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The category that a car falls into, has no relation on the type of damage sustained. Cat D is not "just panel damage" it can cover, flood damage, fire, paint stripped etc...

Isn't yours one?

Yozz'd up 182
Bit expensive that mate. Mine had only done 19k miles and was just over 3k.

Depends what youd rather though for that money. a higher milage straight one or a lower milage cat D.

182, Q7, Focus, XFR
That looks OK for price, but it states 'recent major service'. If that's not cambelt, then it is over priced. Factor £500 for the cambelt and its meant to be 15% for cat d. Have a look in the classifieds, there's a guy called cuddles who has what looks to be a mint, low miles, really good history, silver. The only think for you is its right up at Darlo (he said he'd be coming further south to Mansfield). Its up for £4095 but seems to be quite negotiable..

ZX6R B1H
My Ducati is/was a Cat D. Stolen and recovered. It had been dropped but all it had done was bend the handle bar's and a scuff on the exhaust.

Bit of TLC and i've been riding it for 2 years now. Soon will be up for sale though as i want something a bit quicker. But it really has been a brilliant bike and cannot fault it one bit!

Bikes are soooooooo easy to write off, I turned my zx6r b1h into a Cat B 8 weeks ago. £300 salvage but i really didnt want the thing back lol.

ITB'd MK1
mines a cat c. said it before, say it again, it's a good way to get a car for less initial expenditure, but then fixing stuff doesn't faze me in the slightest

Trophy Turbo :)

Well said, It pisses me off when people say oh its a cat C so its really badly bent, the Cat C could mean the parts are more expensive than the cars worth a certin persange etc :)

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Mines recorded..... Doesn't really matter on low value cars like clio's. Makes me laugh when forum tards give the old "it'll be worth f**k all when you come to sell it" especially when it cost you fook all to start with :p

Vectra SRi
i had a cat c megane coupe a few of years back, bought it for 2k, had 2 yeas use and sold it for £1600, only issues i had with it were self inflicted!

just to add, the add states both cup packs but it's got a non cup spoiler!

ITB'd MK1

Bought a 200sx with a mate from that salvage yard once. Was stolen recovered so went to see it as the said it had no keys and was drained of fluid so wouldn't run etc. got there and made a silly offer and it took them 2 minutes to find the keys. We then had it running in the rack for half an hour despite being told it had no fuel. All it needed was wheels and it was driven home (a little before the VIC checks came in) Sometimes Cat-D is a serious bargain

Clio 172
I would never buy a damage repaired car, there will more than likely always be under lying problems. Never be back to factory standard

Ph1 ITB'd 172
At the end of the day if its repaired well then you will have no more chance of issues than with a non written off car.

A car that isn't on the register could have been in an accident that would have made it a CAT B but the owner was only 3rd party and sold it on.

That car has been inspected by an insurance approved engineer to say its been in an accident but perfectly able to be put back on the road hence the CAT-D marker.

Buy it cheaper but expect to sell it cheaper!

My car is a CAT-D and over half the cars I have owned have been, I've only ever lost money on the non-written off cars. I've fixed a fair few clios up too, my sister and dad both have clios. If you want any info on specific things I'd advised you looked at PM me and i'll do you a quick check list of commom bodges that people do! (I repair them properly though)

Clio 200 cup
i had a cat c megane coupe a few of years back, bought it for 2k, had 2 yeas use and sold it for £1600, only issues i had with it were self inflicted!

just to add, the add states both cup packs but it's got a non cup spoiler!

I also noticed this! It looks more like the trophy spoiler?

Earpl

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
A car that isn't on the register could have been in an accident that would have made it a CAT B but the owner was only 3rd party and sold it on

Cat B cars can not be registered for road use. i.e for spares only.