ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cat replacement or decat? i am a noob.

Renaultsport Clio182
Hello all I am a filthy newb.

Just got my Clio a month ago and being unlucky as I am. The Cat flange is rusted up and not fitting well. My local garage said id be better to try and find a replacement cat.
Been looking and its a bit of gamble if I buy a used one. don't want to try a third party new one as they are prob rubbish and a new Renault job is £300?. So was thinking if I don't get hold of a decent used one. I may get a sport cat or de-cat pipe new.
If I get a de-cat pipe will it run weird im guessing it will throw up a fault code at best. I don't really care about de-catting for gains as i've been through it before with cars and I never felt it was worth the hassle. But its a lot cheaper to de-cat than get a replacement cat.
Any advice?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
What part of the cat is rusted? Where it meets the manifold or centre section?

If its manifold - get a new cat to manifold kit as there are sacrificial bits that often rust and wear.

If its the olive join from cat to exhaust then get the join cut off and sleeved.

Renaultsport Clio182
Thanks Amos. Its mostly where it meets the manifold that's corroded badly. I have bought a de-cat pipe to tide me over till I can get it fixed. Cheapest way to get it off the car without going mad price wise. I'll just keep turning the expected eml code off with an obd2 reader app. I think that's the best idea to repair it. So there is a dedicated kit available. Any links please?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Amos. Its mostly where it meets the manifold that's corroded badly. I have bought a de-cat pipe to tide me over till I can get it fixed. Cheapest way to get it off the car without going mad price wise. I'll just keep turning the expected eml code off with an obd2 reader app. I think that's the best idea to repair it. So there is a dedicated kit available. Any links please?

They all corrode there eventually. The kit has new inserts to put into the manifold side to allow a tight bolt connection.

Have a search for the kit, the trader on here Renault Wolverhampton sell them, about £25.