ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Catostrophic Misfire fault - Solutions please

Anyone else had this problem? My ph1 172 has the EML light displayed. Is showing catastrophic misfire as the diagnostic fault but is running spot on. Both lambda sensors have been replaced but the fault will not clear. Car isn't used daily but I haven't noticed it using more fuel than normal. The emissions are very high though. Any thoughts?
Cheers, Al

53 Clio's & counting
Spark plugs - are you running the correct plugs? The official time is 72k, but I do them every 40k (I have had 2 sets fail around 50k)

53 Clio's & counting
IMO the usual culprits are:

Plugs
Leads
Coil
Injectors

Could be knock sensor, but that doesn't usually cause that code

SQ5
It's very strange for an engine light to come on on the Ph1. It would be worth trying lambda sensor too if the above don't sort it.

You've also got MAP sensor which could cause problems with over fuelling/misfiring.

dan's cast offs.
need to know what the code was read with, then clear the code and take the car out for a good hard drive and then read codes again. you can have a faulty injector without a misfire, they can overfuel easy enough. did you read live data from the front lambda?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I'd want to see the live data/misfire detection analysis to. Sounds ignition based though.