ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caught in two minds

Clio Sport 182
Guys,

Caught in two minds really as the title states, part of me is thinking about selling the clio and getting something else, something with more power (been looking at a subaru wrx/sti hatchback). But then again the other half of me wants to keep the clio, spend more money on that, possibly get a low boost turbo conversion.

The car is currently on 102,000 miles, had a gearbox rebuild and due an MOT within the next couple of weeks.
Think the belts could be due soon also.

What are people's opinions?

Keep the clio or sell up and onto other things?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ive bought this and then sold my PH1. After owning the PH1 for 5 years it was time to move on to something bigger and faster, this Spec C type RA fitted the bill.

Should be collecting it next Saturday.

18495723075_4f8304670c_b.jpg
Untitled by Scott Raven, on Flickr

17873023694_e761efee50_b.jpg
Untitled by Scott Raven, on Flickr

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
The Clio will be worth, not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things. Could you afford to keep/justify having two cars? I have albeit two bloody clios lol. One is a standard ish cup the other my track/weekend blast car, best of both worlds tbh

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Just took my Cup out on the lanes around Harrogate to remind me what a great car it is around the twisties. Not much can else can be so enjoyable, because everything faster is too big and heavy, unless you have a well sorted kitcar(my Vindicator Vulcan, although it has 300BHP, is too wide to hang the tail out confidently on some of our local lanes)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Sell up - move on.

If you are having these thoughts it's unlikely you will shake them off. Move onto bigger and better things would be my advice.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Unless you're going to put a decent amount of money in with the value of the clio then don't look at Impreza's.

Cheap Impreza's are a total minefield, there are 'some' decent examples around for good money but there's a sea of horrid shite you don't wanna get involved in.

Finding one thats been looked after, not been thrashed and more importantly not been incorrectly modified can be a ball ache.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've been away and then back to clios, down to just wanting a change of face really. But pound for pound as gets mentioned a lot they are hard to beat. But if you fancy a change why not

PH2 RS172
ive switched and always come back. last car i had was an impreza (3rd impreza ive owned) and im
being as honest as i can by saying that it was nowhere near as fun to own/drive as the clio. theyre more of a weekend starry eyed car to own than a daily. also the price on imprezas is increasing silly and there are TONS of sheds out there commanding top brass. you wont get a better hadling quicker car thats more fun than a 1*2 especially for what they cost but sometimes you need to move on to realise how good they actually are. sell up, buy something else.... and well see you back on here in less than 12 months when you return in a 1*2 lol ;-)

Countryman JCW
I've always thought that as you get older you need to move on and have a big bmw/audi/merc. Then i remember always seeing blokes in their 30's, 40's, and 50's driving around in brand spanking new hot hatches of the time and thinking, why are they driving them when they could easily buy a nice luxury motor instead? So i bought a 10 plate 318d M sport tourer as i do a lot of triathlons and the extra room in the boot area made getting the bike and kit out easier. After owning the beemer for a year pretty much and my mates all still driving hot hatches, it dawned on my why those older blokes were driving hot hatches... Not only are they considerably cheaper than the 3 series, A4's and C class mercs, but they are a million miles more fun to drive, and with all the mod cons you get in a modern hot hatch these days, they are quite nice places to be!

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal opinion. I did what youre talking about. I had a ph1 172 and wanted something bat sh!t quick, so bought a 350bhp Evo 5 (ok not so quick now, but at the time it was!). I had this for about 6 months and sold it because i couldnt enjoy it on the roads without being dangerous due to the sheer capability of the thing. So i went back to the clio's (again) and got a turbo'd one. This for me was the best of all my cars. Fast, cheap to run (in comparison to the Evo), not a bad place to be, and great fun to drive. After that i bought the BMW, got bored and now guess what... im back in an RB182 and loving it !

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do...

AG 200 cup
I am feeling the same atm. Can order a new corsa vxr with performance pack for less then I'm paying for the clio though work, so there will be no worries about it braking. I'll just need to sell the clio for how much I have got left on my loan.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I had a 172 , then went to a 500bhp Subaru , then back to a 182 Trophy. I am missing boost pretty bad atm, but for a bang for buck daily you can't beat the clio. Even better is boost the clio because if your a diehard you will always come back to a RS, many people do. Or get best of both worlds and keep the Clio and go buy a suby for the weekend.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The problem with spending a lot of money boosting a clio, is that it's still built by lazy frenchmen and has a gearbox made of lukewarm chocolate.

It will break, more regularly than normal, and you will get fed up with it. IMO.

Clio Sport 182
The problem with spending a lot of money boosting a clio, is that it's still built by lazy frenchmen and has a gearbox made of lukewarm chocolate.

It will break, more regularly than normal, and you will get fed up with it. IMO.

It's had a rebuilt gearbox already and is now got over 100,000 miles on the clock.

I'm just thinking that I'm not gonna get a great price for it if I decided to sell it.

All this about don't spend more on the car than what it's worth as being an argument not to boost a Clio I don't understand as all cars depreciate. In 2-3 years you may have lost 3-4k off the replacement car anyway. The reliability issue would be the major one for me if I wanted to boost the Clio though