ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Caught speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

I changed someting in my profile. Might have been that coz it locked all the forums.

you lot make me laugh with your moaning about being caught, how about slowing down to the speed limits, its the best way to not get caught!

the law is the law, it shouldnt be broken, im not saying ive never broken it, but if your caught, just accept it, it was your choice to speed,

why where you driving at 90 mph at night in the rain in the first place?

sorry if I have caused offence but theres a simple answer to all this, slow down!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

A wise man!

I dont no really. Didnt really notice my speed as it was so empty on there.

U make it sound like you have never gone over the limit mate. Just happened the night i did i got caught. Im not moaning, was wanting advice on how i can reduce it really. I know im getting a ban what eva hapens.

sorry dude, that wasnt specifically aimed at you ......

im not saying ive never gone above the speed limit, but if you do, you just have to accept the consequences if you get caught, i very very rarely go above 75-80 mph when on the motorway, one reason because I dont want to get caught and another that i dont feel safe going any faster in my car.

Quote: Originally posted by ^adam^ on 11 April 2004

you lot make me laugh with your moaning about being caught, how about slowing down to the speed limits, its the best way to not get caught!

the law is the law, it shouldnt be broken, im not saying ive never broken it, but if your caught, just accept it, it was your choice to speed,

why where you driving at 90 mph at night in the rain in the first place?

sorry if I have caused offence but theres a simple answer to all this, slow down!
The law is the law, but its not infalible and you very much do have the right to complain! 90 on an open motorway is an odd crime in my book.

it may be an odd crime, but its a crime none the less

totally agree with ^adam^, the rules are there, you break them and get caught there should be no complaints, regardless of how serious the offence is

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Bambam i agree with what you said. Im not complaining becuase i know i was in the wrong. Non the less if u might be havin your licence taken from you surly your going to want to say somethign arnt you? Or am i completely wrong there?

Adam: No offence taken mate!

insignia

sorry to hear that mate.i had similar incident.they usually read your rights and then give you caught date.I waited 3 wks to recieve anything and thought i had got away.Just out of curiousity what car were they driving?

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

I was in my valver mate!
They only read the usually thing when they give you a producer. Like if you dont produce your documents you will basicly have to go to court!

golf

About johnny boys comment, You do not have to sign anything or be cautioned. Someone i know, a fellow 172 driver was involved in a fatal accident with a young male padestrian and that was a month ago and the police have still not been in contact with him. Some one stated that if he has not heard/recevied anything within 21 days then he is in the clear but i was told it can take upto 6 months. The procirator fiscal have to review and they decide what happens. He was aleg speeding but who knows.

Feel realy sorry for the guy.

Tom-m u were only given a producer? sorry if i hadnt picked up on this earlyer.

but if thats the case chances are i will only get points, reason i say that is my mate in the navy got caught doing a ton the other day, he got pulled ova given a producer etc. hes had to hand in his lience etc to the police.

but he has reported the incident to his navy offiecer as he has to if he is involved with anyhting to do with the police. if he was gonno lose his lience or get banned he would be in the sh*t with the navy but nout was said other than "you need to watch your speed son"

so theres a small hope yet. if the officer didnt actually caution you and you only got a producer i think your ok.

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Im really hoping thats all it is. If it is insuring a car is going to be crap. Clain twice in my first year of driving afte rmy car got broken into twice and this year i get a ban. Not looking good at all.

Kingjimbob: Yer just a producer mate!

You never know how long these things take do u?

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

mayb u shud carry a handgun... next time u get pulld mayb u can commit a real crime! lol friggin traffic pigs

well i dont wanna get your hopes up, but if it was producer only then i dont think anythink will happen other than points. as i said my mates in the navy and any trouble with the police hes in the sh*t and he would know about it.

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Yer im not goign to get them up mate coz i know im prob gettin a ban!

s2 pth: Nice comment mate. It true though, Would only harm myself. Not as if any motorway is busy at 3 in the morning! But not that thats any excuse really!

Sorry to sound negative cos i know how you feel but a friend of mine was caught doing 107 on the motorway they gave him a producer and he heard nothing for 3 months and thought he had gotten away with it then he got the summons. fortunateley for him his mum is a registered disables and he could use that in court but he still got a 56day ban and an £80 fine hed had his license for 8 months.

The safe thing to do in the wet at night with someone up your ass is slow down to decrease the stopping distance for them. Thats what they teach you!

I cant talk ive learned from experience and have a court summons regarding speeding on the 26th of this month for something im probably going to get away with but unfortunateley i think you are going to have to find a very good reason for them not to give you a long ban.

The police do need to put their lights on when breaking the speed limit but that will stand for nothing in court im sure and i know if i were a copper id abuse the powers of being in a police car and maybe employ the same tactics as they did as they probably get the same reation each time ( Like fishing )

Ba*tards!

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Thanks i think. Bit S*%t as ive only been driving 18month or so. Will see what comes through in the post and then worry about it then i guess. No point beating myself up over it. Least i will have loads of money if i get a ban. All the petrol and maintaining a car every month. Cheers for all the reply people

few things being stated as fact that are totally wrong in above posts. I have been reading pistonheads.com religiously for few years now and have learnt a lot. someone said that there has to be 2 cops in the car, this is total crap, as long as the speedo is calibrated that night (traffic cops make it up that they did anyway on all the witness statements whether they did or didnt!!) one police officer can co-oberate (think thats the word) with that speedo to make 2 peices of evidence. You may just get summons 5 months later through the door, i dont think they need to give a written NIP (notice of intended prosecution) as it sounds as though they may have given you a verbal one. BTW they have 6 months to act on the information. you have a nasty wait, if you get nothing after 6 months you are in the clear (giving them wrong address wont work). I am nearly 4 months through my latest wait!!! and have been in and out of the monkey court for various speeding offences. every situation is different it pays to know the laws. read the posts on plod and speeding on the pistonheads board and you will soon learn the ins and outs of traffic law

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

You do get 6 months, but they probably will contact you, I was contacted with my summons 10 days before my 6 months was up, GUTTED!

I would go and speak to a solicitor, I would assume you have been caught so its time for damage limitation, if I were you, just hold your breath till the 6 months have gone.

If it goes to court, I can’t stress this enough, get a solicitor, you might be able to get one for free on legal aid (if your job depends on your car). If not, it is definitely worth paying one, he will speak on your behalf, probably doing a better job than you will (no offence). Mine managed to get me from 9 points down to 5, but that was for a CD10, which i still don’t think was my fault, but had to plead guilty to, because the Police couldn’t be bothered doing their job properly.

Dont say you were tired, that will not be a defence, have you not seen all the take a break signs, all they will say is that it is even less reason to be doing 100, what ever time, it gets harder to concentrate the faster you go, so they will probably increase it from a motorway speeding fine to a due care and attention or dangerous driving.

Don’t say you didn’t know what speed you were doing (same as above).

Good luck Mate.

TBH you where being stupid driving at 90 odd in the rain and then even stupider to pick the speed up to 115 in the rain, you could have very easily aquaplaned off the road at that speed and killed yourself, yes fair enough it was only you in danger but you dont know what may have happened from your actions, may sound a bit harsh but you deserve the ban if you get it.

Sorry mate.

Mr2 Roadster

Jawnathan, we all do what we feel like! Free country and all that!

In Toms defense, he has a highly maintained valver which is fit for those speeds. Im the same 100mph everywhere rain or shine and I only have side lights, no main beams. If I get into a scrap on the road then anywhere upto !30 if need be. My car is safe at that speed. Uprated discs, pads, calipers and susspension.

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

that is a bit harsh. cant see how i could aquaplaned off the road driving in a straight line. Its not as if i would take a corner at that sort of speed. Personal think 70 on the motorway is stupid speed.

But hands up like ive said i was speeding in the first place so i do deserve a punishment. I know hardly anyone on here can say they have never go over the limit by a bit. Just happened i had a traffic police car behind me when i did it!:oops:

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

Quote: Originally posted by NickyB on 13 April 2004

Jawnathan, we all do what we feel like! Free country and all that!

In Toms defense, he has a highly maintained valver which is fit for those speeds. Im the same 100mph everywhere rain or shine and I only have side lights, no main beams. If I get into a scrap on the road then anywhere upto !30 if need be. My car is safe at that speed. Uprated discs, pads, calipers and susspension.
Exaclty my point. Where as in my old 1.1 punto it wasnt safe at that speed.

Do you realise how much distance is covered at that speed in one second? If you need to stop quickly you are not going to stand much chance of stopping in time no matter how good your brakes are, your car is not safe at that speed because of the distance it takes to stop.

To put it bluntly everything you have put in that post raises questions as to why you are even allowed on the road.

I dont mean to sound offensive, thats just how i feel about it, fair enough I drive over the speed limit at 70-80mph, and if I get caught well so be it, but I think that they should up the national limit to 80 as most people drive safely at that speed.

Quote: Originally posted by tom-m on 13 April 2004

that is a bit harsh. cant see how i could aquaplaned off the road driving in a straight line. Its not as if i would take a corner at that sort of speed. Personal think 70 on the motorway is stupid speed.

But hands up like ive said i was speeding in the first place so i do deserve a punishment. I know hardly anyone on here can say they have never go over the limit by a bit. Just happened i had a traffic police car behind me when i did it!:oops:

Aquaplaning happens whether your taking a corner or driving in a straight line, your wheels lose contact with the road making it like your driving on ice, would you do that speed on ice? Esp at night it can be difficult to see where the road is covered in slightly deeper water than normal or not.

Mr2 Roadster

^^^I can out brake you if Im doing 100mph and you are doing 70mph. So maybe you should only do about 60mph just to be on the safe side.

Got nothing to do with it, the distance travelled in the key area of "reaction time" is the difference, so you may have more powerful brakes, doesnt matter if you have the same reaction speed as me you will have travelled x amount of metres further because of the faster speed you are doing.

theyve got nothing on you and they know it - thats why they wont show you this video - so ask to see it before signing anything. The camera on the cop car only works if they are at a constant speed ie striaght 100mph because it is based on time and motion - how many frames passed per second; So, if they are speeding up your ass end, they are not keeping at constent speed and stops the camera from reading it properly. You know if it doesnt work at all cos the mph bit on the video playback is a constant 0. There are ways of getting off it if you find the right routes and can prove it.

I have only once been over 100mph, and that was in my dads BMW and I actually came close to the max speed of the car, my dad had just had a triple heart bypass and was just out of hospital and very weak, I rung him from work one day and he didnt answer, which was strange as we had a portable phone that could be obviously taken anywhere. I was terrifed that he had tried coming down the stairs but had fell due to being so weak and I booted it to get home as quickly as possible, lovely straight and wide road could be dual carrigeway if they bothered.

Turns out he had fallen asleep in garden lol

Jawnathan,

So because your dad had had surgery, and you thought he might be in danger/dying it became acceptable to increase the risk to your life, and the lives of all the other road users. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

Having said this, I speed all the time if Im honest, but within moderation, if you know what I mean. Only been caught once (Im lucky) doing 94 on a dual carriageway. Got three points and a fine (not much but cant remember how much). It was a sunny clear day on an empty road (the A50 near Derby) and I was in an imaculate 1.9 205 GTi. The policeman was very sympathetic, saying he hoped Id see him and slow down. They have to take an average speed, so if you ever think youre being tailed you should back off, not put your foot down. I didnt see him as I was looking where I was going, not where I had been!

To the original poster, I hope you get off, if not, I guess youll be more vigalent next time.

Finally, cars are continually evolving, going faster, stopping quicker and becoming safer places to be, yet the laws do not change to suit this. Most speed limits should be increased, although I would heartly welcome lower speed limits in built up areas and near schools etc.

I never said what I did was right did I, at the time I did not think of the consequences and was more concerned about getting home. If I had been caught I would have been the first to hold my hands up and say I was in the wrong and accepted the punishment, not try to wriggle my way out of it.

Revels Mum & Sister

To be fair

Even if your on a Motorway doing 80MPH. U aint going to stop in time anyway in the rain if you encounter a problem. And are as likely to Aquaplane at that speed.

U drive a 1.2 Clio. The brakes in that are far less superior to a Valver or for arguments sake NickyBs Brakes.

Jesus give the guy a break. He has held his hands up and admitted he was silly. But sh*t happens we are only human. except maybe for you. So you have never done anything dodgy be it a Traffic offense or other crime.

And u racing home to see if your dad was ok. practive what U preach mate. If not then dont get up on your high horse over someones mistake

Quote: Originally posted by Jawnathan on 13 April 2004

If I had been caught I would have been the first to hold my hands up and say I was in the wrong and accepted the punishment, not try to wriggle my way out of it.
i no u said your posts werent aimed at tom-m but everytime i read them they are. can u explain to me where he has said he is trygin to wriggle out of it and not tryign to take the blame, he has always said its his fault and actually asked what the procedure is in this case not ways on which to get out of it. in any case it is natural to try get out of a situation, he learnt enough buy gettign a scare from the police, dotn think a years ban is actually a fair punishment. speed limits and everythgin that goes with them seriously needs to be looked out there out of date and if you look at what peopel get for more serious CRIMES then i fail to see how it is all fair. some lad i no was charged with over 400 car related, aggrivated burlgaries etc and could only be prosecuted on a few, he got 4 months inside. someone else put someone in intensive care and they nearly died, he got community service as it was there first offence. doign 100 mph on a clear road with barely anyone else about and prospoect of losign your licence for a year dont seem all that right to me.

Quote: Originally posted by Liquid_ICE on 13 April 2004

To be fair

Even if your on a Motorway doing 80MPH. U aint going to stop in time anyway in the rain if you encounter a problem. And are as likely to Aquaplane at that speed.

U drive a 1.2 Clio. The brakes in that are far less superior to a Valver or for arguments sake NickyBs Brakes.

Jesus give the guy a break. He has held his hands up and admitted he was silly. But sh*t happens we are only human. except maybe for you. So you have never done anything dodgy be it a Traffic offense or other crime.

And u racing home to see if your dad was ok. practive what U preach mate. If not then dont get up on your high horse over someones mistake

I never said what I did was okay did I, I drove that fast through pure worry to get home and hardly even glanced at the speedo most of the way home. And I admit that I had no right to go above the speed limit like I did, but it was done on pure spur of the moment.

What has driving a 1.2 got to do with anything, I would drive the same way whether I drove a Ferrari or a 1970 mini, because the car has upgraded parts does not give someone the license to drive faster than the speed limit, you cant rely on the parts, thats like saying I dont need to wear a seatbelt because my car has an airbag.