ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Central Locking Fault / Possible M.O.T Fail ??

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Hiyer guys,

Having a problem with the central locking in the drivers door and unable to find the answer :(.

A couple of months ago the drivers door handle snapped off, i have since replaced it but now found there is a fault with the central locking. If i lock the doors with the central locking it locks fine, when i unlock the central locking with the key forb the drivers door will not open until it is opened from the inside. After it has been opened it will open and shut fine until the car is locked with the central locking again. Any ideas how this could be resolved ?? I thought it may be the motor but the central locking still locks so put an end to that idea.

Also im booked in for an M.O.T next week and im not sure if this would cause it to fail ??

Thanks

Jay

IIRC the car isnt locked and opened again. So as long as the handle is 'functioning' before you drive in then it should be fine.

Will you be waiting while they mot it?

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Yeah when i first de-activate the central locking the whole car unlocks except the drivers door, I have to reach across from the passenger side to open the drivers door and that de-activates the central locking in it. If i was to then lock the car again i would have to repeat the whole process upon return. :(

Suppose if i dont lock it when i turn up they should proberbly be none the wiser ?

Yeah i will hang around whilst they do it Adam just incase anything else comes up, its had a few electronic problems recently so im not looking forward to it.

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Car passed its MOT this morning with only a ball joint needing to be replaced. Left the car unlocked so the locking didnt become and issue, anyone have an idea how to fix this though as its annoying the hell out of me :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I do indeed know how to fix it :)

I'm just writing it up for you, then I'll edit this.

Ok, so I had the exact same issue, but it was the passenger side, not as annoying, but always letting in my passenger got right on my tits!

Basically, the easy fix is to get a new locking mechanism. There's probably about 1,000,000 available on here from all sorts of different cars being broken. It takes about 20 minutes to fit including taking the door card off.

It's just the little black box that controls the locking.

I think I paid around £15 for mine.

It's just a case of undoing a few bolts and unclipping the rod that attaches to the exterior handle, then bolting the new one in and clipping the rod back in.

Last edited:

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Cheers Rob,

Thats brilliant, thank you. Its being annoying me for a few months now so will look to find a new mechanism.

Hate the little rods that attached to the handle, took forever to get it back on when i changed the handle :mad:.

Clio 182
why not spray the locking mechanism with some light oil before spending any cash? mine went through a weird phase of not unlocking, but it was intermittant, not every time.. a quick spray and its been fine since..

JFS

182 cup & 172 ph1
Tried putting some oil on the lock this morning Lee but it didnt work unfortunatley. Looks like i will have to get a new lock like Rob said.

Anyone have any ideas as to wether the door locks on a 182 are the same as other models ??