ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CG Lock screws

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Good afternoon, I've recently bought a cg lock and the screws are getting a bit worn.

Would like to replace them but can't find any screws that fit as most online have a finer thread.

Anyone replaced these and know where to get the screws from?

This is compared to a 3.5x10mm countersunk screw (on the left the original CG Lock screw).

They've been discontinued for a while now otherwise I'd try to contact the manufacturer but sadly can't find any contact details.

20201006_152813.jpg

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I do! And that is a great website, printing the thread gauge right away. Thanks!

Suzuki Jimny
I have replaced mine in the past with longer ones to fit over the chunky megane belt buckle. Will try have a look later to see the size

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I have to admit I hadn't thought of that, I thought it was a UK company. That narrows it down at least.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I can't measure at the moment but after doing some more research and rereading the link @Louis posted it does seem like it could well be 6-32 UNC.

Ordered some 3/8 inch ones for 99p and will report back here this weekend.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I can't measure at the moment but after doing some more research and rereading the link @Louis posted it does seem like it could well be 6-32 UNC.

It's metric if you use an ugga dugga.

• Haha
Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Probably take an m14 bolt as well then.

Bit of gorilla glue and the roof will tear off and the car falls apart before the CG Lock comes loose!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I look forward to hearing if they're right or not.

I lost one from my CG-Lock probably 10 years ago now. I've used it ever since with just the one screw!

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Screws should arrive Friday so should be able to try them this weekend.

Do you take your CG Lock off after every track day?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Screws should arrive Friday so should be able to try them this weekend.

Do you take your CG Lock off after every track day?

Yep. I'd happily drive with it every time I go out but it's a large heavy chunk of metal that I've found, in cars in the past, will happily bash chunks out of cheap plastic trim panels it connects with.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't be too happy with that either. Does it mark the seatbelt itself?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No wear on the seatbelt that I've ever noticed, and the only the tiniest witness marks on the seatbelt 'tongue' that you attach it to.

Also, the weight means it can be too heavy for the seatbelt to retract itself...which is a good thing, because if it's not then it'll fly back up toward your top anchor point clouting stuff on the way!

This is why I only fit it for trackdays/autosolos, although it used to be a permanent fitment in my 172 Cup, but that had no interior trim panels to hit/mark!

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Dont you have any small local fastener shops?

Sadly none that I trust to have something like this. Kind of dependant on Screwfix or Halfords or would have to drive around a fair bit wasting my time.

I'd kind of hoped with these CG Locks getting on a bit that more people had run into the same issue of the bolt heads wearing and for someone to know a replacement size off the top of their head.

@MarkCup thanks for the feedback. Might keep it attached in the Clio but won't put it permanently in the BMW!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sadly none that I trust to have something like this. Kind of dependant on Screwfix or Halfords or would have to drive around a fair bit wasting my time.

I'd kind of hoped with these CG Locks getting on a bit that more people had run into the same issue of the bolt heads wearing and for someone to know a replacement size off the top of their head.

@MarkCup thanks for the feedback. Might keep it attached in the Clio but won't put it permanently in the BMW!
That's a shame.

We have a local fastener shop near work and they're fantastic.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Count yourself lucky! I'd love to have some proper 'old skool' shops near me with people that actually know what they're talking about but I guess with the Amazon/eBay generation and all the lockdowns we're currently experiencing they'll slowly disappear.

Used to have a brilliant tool store near me in the Netherlands, bit more expensive than online but they'd take all afternoon to give advice and let you try before you buy.

Really miss that shop, how the hell can I tell the difference between the three or four Makita impact driver options from spec sheets??

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Haha weren't that bad! But they were on their way out, just didn't want to risk having to drill them out.

Can't wait to test it now!