ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change a direction lol - suspension (again)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
After a great blast today I realised that I'm getting ahead of myself with coilovers - all the great drives in all the renaults I've had (more specifically the 172 and the williams) have all been on standard suspension, soaking up all the road has to offer while still giving decent levels of grip and conering ability - I mean after all thats what these cars were made for yes?! :)

The only gripe I have with the 172 over the williams is that it feels heavier (because it is) and theres more 'feeling' of bodyroll over my old willy, the willy rolls like a good un but because of the lack of extra weight its not as noticable.

Therefore I don't want to hugely change the way the car drives just improve whats under me a little...

After many hours (note 2am) reading on the forum I'm feeling that renewing the dampers and sticking my prolines on finally is a great starting point to move on from if I feel its not given me what I want.

My question (finally) is has anyone swapped std 172 ph2 dampers for cup dampers? if so how did it change the car? I guess anyone who has a cup (and is fat ;)) can also comment lol.

My aim really is a little less body roll and a better turn in, I miss the immediate direction change of the williams, the 172 tends to wait and read another page of the daily paper before it sighs and follows suit ;)

Thanks chaps!

'04 172, '03 Hirsch 9-5
Well I've just purchased some pro lines - but I have been running camber bolts for the last 4 months on standard 172 suspension - and oh what a difference that made to turn in! It also reduced the initial body roll (before the car starts actually turning). I started out at 1 deg but have upped it to 1.5 and the car now feels quite neutral - just how I like it. Bang for buck - probably the best suspension mod for me.

I hope the pro lines don't ruin it! If the damping is off I may just get a custom set made at a race shop to better match the prolines - as that would be cheaper than me trying to import cup spec dampers (we never got any cup packed clios here in NZ). besides I would think the prolines are a stiffer spring rate than the cup spec given cup owners installing prolines?

I have only gone for stiffer springs for track day use to try and further limit the roll - other wise stock is very good for road and track!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Camber bolts were something else I was considering actually!

Daz have you considered getting some Koni Yellows instead of new standard items? Koni Yellow/Eibach combo is brilliant.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I did look at them but they're over £500, if I was thinking of spending that much I'd consider going flat out and getting coilovers but I don't think thats what I'm looking for...

Can get a whole set of new shocks for roughly £200, £300 spare for other things :)

Demon tweeks its £440 ;) First site I checked so imagine a bit of chopping around you could get them for under £400. Obviously still a fair wedge more than standard though

500 Twinair
A set of new standard shocks and eibach springs would freshen up the cars handling no ends, i know a lot of people on here rave about the sportlines but not heard to much about the prolines.
I'm in the same position, and was recommended koni adjustable damping shocks and sportline, from markfish, who knows alot about handling on the clio's.
He said the only next stepup from that would be coilovers, and he was recommending sets from grand over.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Demon tweeks its £440 ;) First site I checked so imagine a bit of chopping around you could get them for under £400. Obviously still a fair wedge more than standard though

I'm looking in the wrong places then! :)

alien green rs133
i run a apex/proline mix, apex on the front with mega camber and prolines on the back, car is so precise its unbelievable, unfortunately going in a perfect straight line whent he car wants to constantly turn in is hard :rasp:

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I thought the same as you but got Vmaxx for £300 in the group buy. Handling is so much better than standard and costs not much more than oem dampers and prolines.

Bumder With A Buffer
I agree with Atouba. My V-maxx are awesome :)

Although they do need setting up correctly..My car almost jump out of the rollers today as they need setting up correctly! :eek:

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
£300 for coilovers, then fitting and setup AND the car has to be lowered - its not sounding too good to me!

Bumder With A Buffer
You could easliy fit the coilies yourself...I did.

Just need the tracking done which should be £20-£30

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had 11 Clio RS's and if i'm completely honest, the best all round was the cup I had that had brand new standard shocks and Eibach springs.

Coilovers are fine and indeed very good for track but don't offer enough forgiveness on a normal B-road imo.

New shocks and Eibach springs if its a daily driver imo. (Look at replacing worn components also, bushes/top mounts etc)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Think this is the way i'm going to, I just don't want coilovers, I'm happy with the car pretty much

M2 Competition
Cup dampers are same as standard 172 items as far as im aware Daz.

On my last cup id bought; Apex, eibach sportlines, h&r's, leda fully adjustables, then back to standard. Converting it back to standard to sell i loved it so much i kept it for ages!

Lots of people rate the eibach's, but i didnt. I thought it was most communicative on standard cup springs.

Standard is the best if you enjoy a true b-road blast. The kind with no music playing, where you turn around and do the same stretch of road in the other direction and then back again, early hours on a sunday because the roads are clear.

Bodyroll isnt a bad thing, it lets you know what the car is doing, when you're reaching limits etc.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Cup dampers are listed seperately and I was under the impression they were different - can anyone confirm?

Lionel Richie
172 front damper - 8200104116
172 rear damper - 8200662257

172 cup front - 8200257952
172 cup rear -8200662257

rears are the same

Lionel Richie
the part numbers? no idea LOL, they still "might" be the same (renault not updating their part numbers) but i doubt it

damping rates are probably tweaked

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
172 front damper - 8200104116
172 rear damper - 8200662257

172 cup front - 8200257952
172 cup rear -8200662257

rears are the same

Cheers fred!

That would possibly make them slightly less damped due to the weight of the car? not sure if thats a good thing or not the have softer dampers!