ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Change Cambel on 1.2 recently now got a little noise

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
Hi guys, I'm new to the club. Hope to get lots of info out of you lot and contribute myself too.

I got my Clio in early Dec. I've come from MR2's and they've got a really active forum so hoping to get some good info here too. I gave up cars last year and relied solely on my bike (CBR600) but the missis was getting a bit miffed in the cold weather so we got the car.

I did the cambelt on my 1.2 Grande (2001) over Christmas and there seems to be a little noise now. It's between about 2k-3.5k rpm. It's a kind of whining noise. It's not too loud but you can hear t in the cabin but not above the engine noise when it gets going. It's definitely not an aux belt slipping or anything like that. The only thing I can think it could be is the tensioner. Maybe it's got noisy bearings in it? I did get the belt kit off EBay for about £45. The seller claims he's never had any complaints before but it's the only think I can think of. I mean, after all, you don't really change anything else.

I followed the Haynes manual and didn't have the tools. I actually used a drill bit to lock everything in place and we made a tool to hold the tensioner in place white it's tightened up ourselves.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

It's been going for 1k miles since doing it with no problems. Runs a good as ever.

Any advice would be great :cool:

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The D7F 720 engine is whats fitted in your motor

I assume the belt kit you bought came with a tensioner ? I would squirt WD40 on the tensioner whilst the engine is running at 2 - 3k rpm ( wedge acc pedal or ask a mate to sit in the car ) If the noise goes just change the tensioner.

When you change the belt on the D7F always use the rectangular marking on the camshaft pulley as TDC. The other markings on the pulley are for adjusting the rockers. You will be surprised at how many people get this wrong. Also when you tighten the tensioner pulley do it to 5 daN.m. - dont over do it as this will damage the bearings. This may be your fault.

Also check aux belt and tensioner + Alternator pulley.

Clio 1.2 Grande (2001)
Yeah, it is the tensioner that came with the kit.

I guess it could be that I tightened it too tight. 5NM doesn't sound like much.

We took the whole thing apart again after the first go to make sure it was right and the noise was still there when we put it back together. :mad:

I guess the choice is:
-Live with the noise (bury the head in the sand style just praying it won't seize up).
-try and spray some WD40 on it without taking all the covers off again.
-Take it all apart again and do a proper job.

Bugger, don't you just know that it should be Option C but can I be arsed :nono: