ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing coolant

Clio 172 mk2
Aplologise if it's been asked before

How difficult is it to change the coolant on a 172 and what is required....do you have to remove the front bumper at all?

May do this myself if it's not too much of a hassle.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Piss easy mate. Undo the bottom rad hose, let all the coolent drain out, put it back on. Then unscrew the bleed screw in the rad + undo one of the hoses that goes into the expansion tank and stick a hose through it untill the water comes out the bleed screw, stop when the water that comes out is clean. Finaly put the hose back on the tank (leave the bleed screw off) and put a 60/40 mix in, wait for it to pour out the bleed screw, so you dont get airlocks.

Also run the car for 5minutes with the cap off the expansion bottle

Clio 172 mk2
Cheers...Doesn't sound too bad.

Do you have to remove the bumper to get at the rad hoses?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Yeah, that was a b**ch moment with the clip, put on a new hose clip with a screw up thing (halfords do them) makes it easy next.

02-701.jpg

Clio 172 mk2
What do you have to remove to get at the bottom hose...looks to me it's just a case of taking off the airbox to get at it...am I right there or is it more complicated (bumper off)?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Also remember to only use type d coolant (if you didn't, flush it and do it all again!). Renault recommends you also purge the system of water with compresed air being refilling.

Cheers, Rob669

Also remember to only use type d coolant (if you didn't, flush it and do it all again!). Renault recommends you also purge the system of water with compresed air being refilling.

Cheers, Rob669

what does ' Renault recommends you also purge the system of water with compresed air being refilling' mean, i dont understand?

Valver

Cheers, Rob669

Isn't that a bit extreme...

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Yeah, a bit extreme. Trouble is, if you don't and you flush it with plain water you can't get it all out. Your choice though.

Done mine today, blo*dy terrible job - took 2 hours just to get the spring clip back on the bottom hose. No bleed screw either on the radiator (X reg 172) so unscrewed a nut on the top of the thermostat housing which seemed to let the air out. Sorted now for another two years.

Cheers, Rob669