ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Gearbox Oil

Inferno Orange 182
First time of doing this on any car. What do I need?

Purchased:-

- Elf NFX 75W-80 (apparently replaced NFJ & NFP) - 3 litres
- Funnel kit with long tubing
- Oil pan

Do I need anything else and any tips and tricks?

Inferno Orange 182
I have just bought a new washer. Need to check I’ve got a square 8mm bit for the washer itself otherwise that’s will need to be ordered as well.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I got a new sump plug and washer for the sake of a few quid.

The only thing I would say is to make sure you can get the filler plug loose before you remove the sump plug. If you cant get it off and you have drained the sump you are a bit screwed.
This is pretty much the only thing you need to worry about here ^
As long as you can get the car to a decent height in the air you’ll be grand

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like you have everything you need, as above just make sure you can get the filler loose but I've never had a problem, worst case you could fill it thru the breather on the top of the box but you will be there for a few hours lol.

Car up, drain box, refit plug with new sump washer, remove filler cap on the front of the box, open breather on top of box, fill box until the box oil starts to come out of the filler hole.

From memory it's around 3 liters so I just stick almost 3 in then check level and top up until it's full as it's messy smelly stuff so the less you get on the floor the better 😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't be surprised if you get under there and it's already piss wet through with gearbox oil, they all leak.

Also this:

The only thing I would say is to make sure you can get the filler plug loose before you remove the sump plug.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Looks like you have everything you need, as above just make sure you can get the filler loose but I've never had a problem, worst case you could fill it thru the breather on the top of the box but you will be there for a few hours lol.

Car up, drain box, refit plug with new sump washer, remove filler cap on the front of the box, open breather on top of box, fill box until the box oil starts to come out of the filler hole.

From memory it's around 3 liters so I just stick almost 3 in then check level and top up until it's full as it's messy smelly stuff so the less you get on the floor the better 😂
Why does gearbox oil smell so bad? It’s like dog s**t mixed with sick

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why does gearbox oil smell so bad? It’s like dog s**t mixed with sick
When I was 17, 16 years ago!, I pulled the pass side shaft out not realising the box oil would empty on the floor, there is no sign on the garage floor that it ever happened, but when I lie on the floor under the car at that same area I still smell it!

Inferno Orange 182
Thanks all. Hopefully I don’t get any on the floor. Rather not smell cat piss / dog s**t every time I go to the garage.

cp1991

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 197
When I was 17, 16 years ago!, I pulled the pass side shaft out not realising the box oil would empty on the floor, there is no sign on the garage floor that it ever happened, but when I lie on the floor under the car at that same area I still smell it!
I was changing over to roll centre hubs and dealing with a siezed driveshaft managed to pull the driveshaft out the gearbox. Oil everywhere. Luckily it was on my brother's drive. Everytime I went round you could still smell it. He's moved on and now just his ex there. Couldn't have done it to a more deserving person 🤣. She was horrible.

PXL_20201009_113916178.jpg

Inferno Orange 182
Gearbox oil drained and replaced. Easy enough job with a long reach funnel.

Gear changes are a really smooth so happy with that. Still getting an issue where it doesn’t disengage reverse correctly so I have to wiggle the reverse mechanism and the gear knob to put it into first.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Gearbox oil drained and replaced. Easy enough job with a long reach funnel.

Gear changes are a really smooth so happy with that. Still getting an issue where it doesn’t disengage reverse correctly so I have to wiggle the reverse mechanism and the gear knob to put it into first.

Probably a stupid suggestion but the lift up collar is disengaging on the gear stick? Mine gets stuck and then I just end up going back into R when I go for 1st.

Renault Clio RS 182
I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil in my 182. Just wondering if the gearbox oil drain plug is the same as the engine oil drain plug [link below] and if not, whether anyone would have the part number for the drain plug washer as I'd like to swap that while I'm at it.
Massive thanks in advance.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'm planning on changing the gearbox oil in my 182. Just wondering if the gearbox oil drain plug is the same as the engine oil drain plug [link below] and if not, whether anyone would have the part number for the drain plug washer as I'd like to swap that while I'm at it.
Massive thanks in advance.

Yeah same 8mm square.

The washer on the gearbox is a copper crush washer, can find them cheap in kits or individual on ebay.

Look for M16 copper crush washers.