ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing Gearbox

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hi, I'm tasked with changing the gearbox in my Clio tomorrow.

Can anyone provide any pointers, or their experience of doing it?

I've heard conflicting stories regarding the removal - one claiming the whole subframe needs to be dropped to do it, another claiming you can drop it on one side and squeeze it out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Clio 172 Ph1.
On my ph1 172 i just lowered the subframe. But i guess it would mean a lot less hassle if you remove it completely.

Are you doing it on axle stands?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Are there any particular tools I'll need for the job, beyond the basics?

340i
Remove the subframe it makes it so much easier...

No special tools required, just common sense ;)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
When removing the subframe, how did you support the engine? I'm guessing an engine brace is a no go with plastic wings?

Lionel Richie
erm the engine mounts support the engine ;)

what you mean is once the subframe is removed, how do you support the engine as you remove the gearbox

easy, trolley jack under the sump

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
You knew exactly what I meant :p

I won't be working on the floor, so I'm not sure how much use a trolley jack will be :/

I'm working in someone else's workshop tomorrow too, so I'm not too sure there is a working gearbox jack.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
All done - the wing crane did the trick in the end - we just used the metal tabs as supports.

So much mess for a gearbox though :/
cliog.jpg

Lionel Richie
i would've removed the subframe, complete t**t getting the box back in with it in the way, plus you can damage the column doing it the way you are

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Dropping the whole subframe was considered, but it looked like there was plenty of space this way.

I found the box went back in quite easily to be fair - but we were incredibly lucky throughout and everything went smoothly apart from one of the rear subframe nuts spinning.

The rack was unbolted from the subframe.

It hasn't all been fun and frolics though, it would appear I now have a coolant leak, which appears to be coming from the water pump area (I believe I'm right in thinking the water pump is next to the crankshaft pulley?).

The header tank was empty before I noticed, too :(

It seems to be non-stop problems with this bloody car :/

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yes, the place it appears to be coming from is aux belt driven and just to the right of what I think is the crank driven aux pulley?

The belt isn't wet mind, it just appears to be a dribble from up underneath the pulley.

I don't suppose it could really be anything else, could it Fred? I'm certainly kicking myself for not doing it when I did the cambelt.