ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing N/S driveshaft.... gearbox oil

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I've just ordered a new N/S shaft due to an absolutely monumental fuckup by yours truly.

Box is filled with nice new oil, has anyone had much success in jacking the car up enough on one side to avoid having to drain it? Or is this going to be one of those things where is quicker to just drain the box properly before doing the shaft?

This is the diff side of the box.

Cheers 👍

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I haven't looked yet but usually see something kicking around but are there any of those magnetic plugs for these that attract the filings. Seeing as these boxes don't like to be hurried and pretty much have all had a crunch when playing traffic light drags.

As for the OP, as said I would just catch the oil and reuse it if its that new unless otherwise stated above.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't looked yet but usually see something kicking around but are there any of those magnetic plugs for these that attract the filings. Seeing as these boxes don't like to be hurried and pretty much have all had a crunch when playing traffic light drags.

As for the OP, as said I would just catch the oil and reuse it if its that new unless otherwise stated above.

Yes thats a good point, I've not seen anything specific but a magnetic plug couldn't be a bad thing

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yes thats a good point, I've not seen anything specific but a magnetic plug couldn't be a bad thing

Gold Plug AP-10 is the one you want (same M16 thread as the sump plug).

There's a magnet inside the box too.

The usual crunching is the synchros which aren't magnetic, so the only likely metal bits you'll pick up is general gear wear or actual pieces if it's bad 😅