ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing phone tariff

182 Cup
I'm currently with O2 and paying over the odds for my phone, I've been on this contract (18 month) for over 9 months.

The other day a mate said he's changed to Virgin and paying £10 a month for unlimited texts and 200 minutes. Looking on the O2 website, they offer something not as good, but similar - 24 month contract, 50 minutes and unlimited texts and this would be enough for my needs.

I wanted to change to this, but the guy at o2 customer services said that I can only reduce by one tariff a month and I can't just move to their lowest tariff. Is that right?

B

Bucko

Yes, that's what i did with my £45 iphone tariff, over the stage of 2 months i reduced it down to a contract that was much more suitable for my wallet/needs. I got the iphone 3G when it first came out so i had to go for an expensive contract with s**t loads of minutes and texts that i simply didn't use.

I think you can do it once you are 50% of the way through the contract

182 Cup
Arseholes! I need to read my terms and conditions, I can't believe they can do that! Do some phone companies buy you out of your existing contract?

Some of the high street stores might pay off the last 3 or 4 months but that's pointless really because the deals you get aren't as good.

182FF with cup packs
Arseholes! I need to read my terms and conditions, I can't believe they can do that! Do some phone companies buy you out of your existing contract?

You're the one that signed the 18 month contract. :rasp:

Buying your way out of the existing contract would usually involve you paying the rest of the rental costs up front. So 9 * your monthly contract cost.

That's the way contracts work, and that's also why you get a phone for "free" with your contract usually, that's how they recoup the cost of the handset.

For instance, an HTC Desire costs about £350 if you buy it contract free, yet they give it away for "nothing" if you're on contract. The reason; because you just signed up to guarantee that you would be paying them £x for 18 months, thereby covering the cost of your phone and your line rental.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD

Buying your way out of the existing contract would usually involve you paying the rest of the rental costs up front. So 9 * your monthly contract cost.

That's the way contracts work, and that's also why you get a phone for "free" with your contract usually, that's how they recoup the cost of the handset.

For instance, an HTC Desire costs about £350 if you buy it contract free, yet they give it away for "nothing" if you're on contract. The reason; because you just signed up to guarantee that you would be paying them £x for 18 months, thereby covering the cost of your phone and your line rental.

Amazes me how many people don't understand that.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Indeed. Buying your own phone and getting a sim only deal is the way forward.

182 Cup

I understand that, and I also understand that's why you can't change your contract tariff for x months with any provider, however I have passed the required amount of months and they aren't going to lose anything from me with the fancy phone deal.

My issue is with the 'step' down in tariffs each month, it's something I've not been aware of before. I was under the impression that I could just reduce my tariff to the lowest immediately after x months have been passed.

Its stop peope just jumping down to the lowest tariff straight away. Again it guarantees a certain revenue, and its down to money.

Itll be in your T's + C's, problem is, people just dont read them.