ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing the gear knob

Clio Billabong, Audi S2
Hi there,

Bought a clio 1.2 billabong for a first car 48 hours ago, and need to replace the gear knob...

You see, my knob is scratched up pretty badly. The person i bought it off said this is because his wife who used it wore alot of rings. I want a clean knob. So i bought one off ebay for £24 which arrived today.

Problem is, i cant seem to take my knob off. Ive tried twisting it and pulling it but it just wont budge.

Joke aside, anyone know how on earth to take off the gear knob?

Cheers Guys,

Andy Burton

Chocolate Bar™
..well its the only way :)

took me ages to do mine, and i eventually cut it off using a junior hacksaw.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i had to hacksaw mine off on my 1.2 16V. then putting the new one on (standard Dynamique silver one) was an even harder job, use some fairy liquid and heat the gear knob with a hair dryer to help get it on. but remember DONT heat the metal gear shifter pole because it will expand and make it harder to get on.

also number one rule DONT use a hammer to get it on, i done that and knocked the circlip out and had to take my exahust off, dissconect the gear linkage, take the gear stick out from underneath, fix the clip then put it all back together.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
They're not lying to you, I thought exactly the same as you are when some one told me that (f*ck that) - but they're speaking the truth. Just don't go and hacksaw the gear lever - you only want the gear knob off.

Clio Billabong, Audi S2
after attempting to get it off using some pliers, a hammer and scissors, im beginning to see your point....

for now ive simply taken the plastic bit out of the new one and replaced them. Temporarily solved.. but i guess im going to have to take a saw to it then... Good idea to glue the new one on also..

Cheers guys, and sorry Friction, thought you were taking the piss!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sonic_2k_uk said:
after attempting to get it off using some pliers, a hammer and scissors, im beginning to see your point....

please read my post above just incase you brake somthing with that hammer LOL

i thought my mate was taking the piss when he told me the same thing

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
sonic_2k_uk said:

for now ive simply taken the plastic bit out of the new one and replaced them. Temporarily solved.. but i guess im going to have to take a saw to it then... Good idea to glue the new one on also..

Cheers guys, and sorry Friction, thought you were taking the piss!
no worries

was about to reply giving you some abuse though... lol

Ph1 172 & others
You dont have to cut it off. I put a Momo knob on my clio and it was quite easy.

1. Twist the original one untill it freely moves

2. give it a good yank and it should come off.

3. Make sure you leave enough room for the lift reverse collar when fitting your new one.

Id say it took about 10mins to fit mine overall

Hope this helps

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
Hellcat, seen people say that before, seen others who didnt succeed, seen others who popped the circlip off doing it your way - which is why i wouldnt even try it.

182 and 5 GTT
Hellcat said:
You dont have to cut it off. I put a Momo knob on my clio and it was quite easy.

2. give it a good yank and it should come off.

Yanking it to hard can knacker up your lift up reverse so be carefull

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
The way i have done them in the past is to twist them either by hand or with a pair of swan neck pilers then pull it of twisting as you pull up then i get the one thats going to b fiited and boil some water and put the water in a mug or cup then put the plastic what goes on the gear lever in the water for a few mins then fitted it i pull the gear lever gater up and hold the lever if ur going to tap it with a rubber mallit with a pieace of cloth on the new gear knob