ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Changing the Gearbox

Whats the easiest way to change the gearbox on a Williams??

And how long will it take?

Option1 - Remove bonnet, inlet and pipework, engine mount, driveshafts and then take the gearbox out of the top.

Option2- Remove lower subframe, driveshafts and drop the gearbox out of the bottom.

Thanks.

Ph1 172, Mini 2.0l T

From what I can remember you need to lift it out from the top. Remove Battery, air filter, gearbox mounts, coil pack (dissy cap+ leads), water pump, hoses,driveshaft, starter motor, plastic arch liners. You will also have to drop the gearbox side of the subframe to get enough clearance and obviously split the suspension to get the driveshaft out.

Option 2 will mean messing about with the radiator,exhaust, driverside suspension,etc

Depending on you ability its should take about a day, not a nice job though.

Hope this helps

Mark

Clio Phase II 16V

I just took the whole engine out, made it easier to put the new box on, but is a bit tight to get the engine back in!

172 Cup

PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT!! thats the easiest way. you can do it without taking the engine out, follow the steps in the haynes manual but you will have to take the subframe off and drop it through the bottom. it says in the haynes manual that you can pull it up through the top but trust me you cant. its a b1tch of a job!! it is easier to take the engine out if you have got the equipment though.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

Are you suggesting taking the engine out from the top, and the gearbox from the bottom?

I have done several engine conversions on 205s, so i have all of the necessary equipment, they are really easy to work on. Where as the Williams, is the opposite, the engine bay is so full. Added to the fact that the bonnet opens the other way, is there a way of removing it??

C

chip16v

It still a hard job taking the engine and gearbox out together because its not just a staight lift out. you have to lift it out at different angles and struggle like f*ck. Personally i would pay some one to do it.

172 Cup

the best way to take the engine out is to undo all the mounts and drop it through the bottom by taking the subframe off.

the bonnet woll come off with 4 nuts

Paul

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if your actually changing the gearbox not just doing the clutch then i would take the engine out.