ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Charging old battery

Clio 220 Trophy
Morning all,

I’ve got a Bosch S4 battery from my 182 which ran flat. It’s not been used for a couple of years but kept in a dry garage. It didn’t have any problems before but it just sat for too long without use and ran flat. I’ve got a small 4A charger which I have connected up to get it back to life but the charger is indicating immediately that it is fully charged.

Anyone got any suggestions please or would it seem that the battery just needs replacing? I’m probably just being thick and it’s no good anymore. I haven’t got anything to test the battery output unfortunately. When it’s had some time on the charger (not sure if it still puts power through when it states ‘charged’) I’ll try it in the car.

Thanks in advance, Paul

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Most likely dead.

You can get chargers that have a repair function that runs a special cycle, but they're like £100+ so a battery would be cheaper.

Clio 220 Trophy
Most likely dead.

You can get chargers that have a repair function that runs a special cycle, but they're like £100+ so a battery would be cheaper.

Thank you. I wish I’d thought to try and charge it up a lot sooner, I assumed it would be ok(n) There’s a YUASA battery on GSF which was comes in at around £49 with the current promotion so that seems a decent price

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thank you. I wish I’d thought to try and charge it up a lot sooner, I assumed it would be ok(n) There’s a YUASA battery on GSF which was comes in at around £49 with the current promotion so that seems a decent price

Yeah Yuasa are decent batteries.

Not sure how they compare to the Bosch Ah and CCA rating wise.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
The S4's are guaranteed 4 years, if it's younger maybe worth trying a claim if you bought it originally, I had similar experience with an S4 being uncharged for a year, defo killed it, I managed to get a replacement FOC, the extra you pay for Bosch is more for the guarantee period, than for any extra tecknik.