ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap bluetooth mod?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I fitted this a while ago to my car, it's awesome... But I want bluetooth.

i was trawling eBay today and came across this which I think is an incredible idea in theory.

in theory, plugging the latter into the former could give a cheap I bluetooth mod. I've bought an adapter for a fiver, so if it doesn't work in the car (I think it requires power, my lead has stopped charging... But I've emailed the company hoping for a replacement) I can use it in the house.

so yeah, I'll update this in a week or so when I receive the adapter.

The only thing I'm unsure about though, is how will calls work? The audio will stream to the speakers in the car... But will the phone default to its speaker mic (will the normal mic pick up my voice?) during calls?

Nice idea that!

I guess once you've got the power sorted, everything should work as if it was connected via AUX.

Your iPhone will connect via bluetooth to whatever the device can handle e.g. Music, Calls, Data Transfer, Printer etc.
my guess is that this device will only connect via Music Audio so you'll answer the call as normal and speak into the iPhone's microphone.

That's my theory :)

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
you could just plug it into the lead and hide it behind the dash then you wouldn't see any cables at all and could bluetooth your iphone to it as well. Would be cool as hell :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The phone will be to the right of my speedo in a holder, so it should pick up my voice.

im thinking about putting it in the glove box out of sight, so I can charge things if need be and keep everything oem

197ff, 172
Nice idea, should work in theory. I found the sound quality of the standard head unit in mine fairly tragic so binned it for a £60 head unit that's got blue tooth, USB etc and it's made a massive difference. Stock speakers are also mildly awful. You not fancy changing the lot?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nah I want oem, I'm content with the sound quality in mine tbh

i had an after market HU in my old car and it was s**t so I think it's put me off lol.

spoke to incartec today about getting a new lead so hopefully that'll be here for when the Bluetooth adapter arrives

K4M ph2
Could be a good fix for iPhone 5 users that only have a 30 pin connection from they're hu. I ended up buying the £25 adapter from Apple to convert to lightning, rip off!!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I found today that ios7 detects and rejects 3rd party adapters... That's the two £1.50 adapters I bought rendered useless.

but my purchase of a 5s was the muse for this idea lol :eek:

this can be done for music but not the way you have, everything can be hidden behind the dash and if you want to charge the iphone just use a conventional lead. I could put a kit together which would allow music playback by bluetooth without having the iphone (or any bluetooth phone etc) connected up to anything and then plug in a charge if and when they want but its whether people actually want to do it or not.

182 FF
this can be done for music but not the way you have, everything can be hidden behind the dash and if you want to charge the iphone just use a conventional lead. I could put a kit together which would allow music playback by bluetooth without having the iphone (or any bluetooth phone etc) connected up to anything and then plug in a charge if and when they want but its whether people actually want to do it or not.
I'd be interested in a BT solution for my 182, price dependant of course..

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Did the bluetooth adapter turn up? I'm interested for my car if it works with yours....

delivery is expected between oct 8th and 27th lol. coming from hong kong :(

Im having my adapter looked at atm for charging, ill update this when ive done it.

if this fails ill be getting an xcarlink system from MT Audio

I'd be interested in a BT solution for my 182, price dependant of course..

you'd be looking around the £30 including aux lead for update list units, that would be a plug into cig lighter version, or a hardwire version for an extra £5

Kit would consist of bluetooth adapter with usb charger lead, update list aux, usb-cig charging socket, hardwire version would then have an additional part in order for it to be hidden away should you want the ciggy free

usb socket can come in dual too so you can charge your phone to if you wish with your own lead

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Success. Sort of, it streams audio, but it doesn't let you have a conversation over it... I thought it would use the phones microphone while streaming the audio but nope. Can't think of a fix either.

i tested the adapter in the house, it didn't work on either of my docks... Not a very good start. So I set about changing the broke ipod lead in the car for the new, working one. Which worked thankfully.

I put the lead braking down to where I positioned it, down by the hand brake... So I re routed it to the glove box

null_zpsbf8db64d.jpg

thank god for Renaults being s**tly built

I put the lead through here, I'm going to drill into the back plate to allow the wire to pass through it

null_zps740ef302.jpg

What a mess
null_zps2a0d5b39.jpg

this makes it so much easier to dick around with the head unit, I think I'll do this whenever I have to remove it
null_zps3b1a9bf3.jpg

here it is working. It's got such a satisfying noise on start up to tell you it's connected

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Orh8F4Dd4Q[/video]

Iceberg Clio 172
My girlfriends Megane has bluetooth. In that, you turn the stereo to aux and it detects the phone then you can play the music - basically without touching the phone. With this adaptor, do you have to press play on the phone first?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I can't believe I didn't see this.

I had one of these in my car for ages. You need a rear Aux socket on your stereo, an old iPhone/other mobile phone charger and the Belkin Bluetooth thing.

http://www.dabs.com/products/belkin...rtable Entertainment - Accessories&origin=pla

Takes a bit of soldering and some messing around but seeing as I'd had the bluetooth adapter for ages I thought why not. Wired it to the switch live too so that it doesn't remain on all the time and flatted the battery. Works a charm.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My girlfriends Megane has bluetooth. In that, you turn the stereo to aux and it detects the phone then you can play the music - basically without touching the phone. With this adaptor, do you have to press play on the phone first?

yeah, everything is controlled through the phone sadly

I can't believe I didn't see this.

I had one of these in my car for ages. You need a rear Aux socket on your stereo, an old iPhone/other mobile phone charger and the Belkin Bluetooth thing.

http://www.dabs.com/products/belkin...rtable Entertainment - Accessories&origin=pla

Takes a bit of soldering and some messing around but seeing as I'd had the bluetooth adapter for ages I thought why not. Wired it to the switch live too so that it doesn't remain on all the time and flatted the battery. Works a charm.

cheers, i had the iPod dock already so my little £5 adapter worked out cheaper :)

yeah, everything is controlled through the phone sadly

Do we know if this is because the iPhone is connected (eventually) via RCA and therefore won't carry "commands" (next, previous, volume etc) from the headunit/stalk controls to the iPhone, or whether the limitation is in the Bluetooth bit?

I connect my iPod with an iPhone-control Alpine job which is great when I'm on my own as I can navigate the music through headunit/stalk controls, but it's not great when your passenger wants to DJ as you have to teach them how the aftermarket alpine HU works since the apple iDevice goes into it's stupid iAccessory mode.

I'm wondering if you connect this Bluetooth adaptor to an iPhone-control headunit, will you be able to use the headunit/stalk controls (since it's still connected by an Apple 24pin (IIRC) thing) but also allowing a passenger to choose songs on the iDevice because in Bluetooth mode your chosen Apple iDevice won't be in accessory mode.

Also, any idea if the Bluetooth adaptor works with non-Apple products?