ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap clio run about help.

Clio
I live in the east of England. Wasn't sure if there would be any garages people would recommend or if you'd recommend doing this myself, would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Basically, bought a cheap car too learn maintenance and more about cars in general. It is a 1.2 petrol, 2003 dynamique. I've had a look over and run it too a garage as well, which has resulted in the rocker cover having a leak. Not too bad I don't think, but taking it too a garage they expressed it would be worth buying a refurbished one and re sealing around it, plus new belts, now I'm wondering is it worth it? Once the car is up too temp and about 20 miles into a journey you can see white smoke rising from the engine when idling, apparently this can cause a fire under the car as oil is leaking onto my exhaust, which I can understand happening, so how much do you reckon it would cost too get fixed.

Also both the front springs on the suspension have what seems too be the start of a crack/cracked. Now I'm hoping too learn how too fix this so would love any pointers and help sent my way, I looked at new springs and i was thinking or just getting 30 mm lowering ones? Doesn't seem too much of a drop and somewhat cheaper? Probably won't be the same quality but it's all a learning curve? So any decent and cheap spring advice as well please. I'm aware decent and cheap don't work in the same sentence😂

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Is the rocker cover actually damaged? or is it just the gasket that it's leaking from? When mine went it was leaking from the back on to the exhaust manifold, rocker cover gasket can be had for about £10, maybe get some sealant too.

Buy a cambelt kit and buy genuine (I had problems with non-genuine tensioners making an annoying noise) Cambelt/Tensioner/Waterpump/crank pulley bolt. Single cam engine pretty easy to do, even if the tensioner is weird to set.

White smoke, check for coolant leaks, how is the reservoir doing for coolant are you losing any?

Springs make sure you get spring compressors for removing, if you don't want to lose your head. There is a good video on youtube from kybeurope on the process of changing front springs.

Clio
Is the rocker cover actually damaged? or is it just the gasket that it's leaking from? When mine went it was leaking from the back on to the exhaust manifold, rocker cover gasket can be had for about £10, maybe get some sealant too.

Buy a cambelt kit and buy genuine (I had problems with non-genuine tensioners making an annoying noise) Cambelt/Tensioner/Waterpump/crank pulley bolt. Single cam engine pretty easy to do, even if the tensioner is weird to set.

White smoke, check for coolant leaks, how is the reservoir doing for coolant are you losing any?

Springs make sure you get spring compressors for removing, if you don't want to lose your head. There is a good video on youtube from kybeurope on the process of changing front springs.
In all honesty mate, not sure how too check if it's damaged or just the gasket, would it be visible?

Coolant is fine I believe, the bottle is still bang on the max line, goes down sometimes a little whilst on and such but always goes back up.

The white smoke isn't hugely thick, more like a mist, although you can smell burning oil/rubber around the same time.

Did you change the parts yourself? If so any advice on how too go around doing it? I have an issue with my chest which has taken most of my energy and such out of me, (can hardly lift a 2 litre bottle of coke these days🙄). So would it be easy too do with some help? Mainly if I could give directions or such? As I take it will be fairly manual😂.
Also how would you go about fitting the belt and such?

Thanks for the help and quick reply mate.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Is the engine in yours a D4F712? does it look like this.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

If so, then there are plenty of guides for the things you're looking to do.

If rocker cover gasket has gone then: Rocker cover gasket change
Front spring change: Front spring change
Cambelt change: Clio Cambelt Guides

As for the smoke I'd just run it till it starts smoking then try to see where it's coming from, maybe a small nick in your coolant hoses or thermostat housing leaking slightly?

Yeah I do all the work on my car, most of it is pretty easy if you're handy with a spanner. But if you suffer physically you might want someone to give you a hand with some things.

Clio
Is the engine in yours a D4F712? does it look like this.
View attachment 1488511

If so, then there are plenty of guides for the things you're looking to do.

If rocker cover gasket has gone then: Rocker cover gasket change
Front spring change: Front spring change
Cambelt change: Clio Cambelt Guides

As for the smoke I'd just run it till it starts smoking then try to see where it's coming from, maybe a small nick in your coolant hoses or thermostat housing leaking slightly?

Yeah I do all the work on my car, most of it is pretty easy if you're handy with a spanner. But if you suffer physically you might want someone to give you a hand with some things.
Thanks for the help mate, really appreciated, the smoke does appear from around the exhaust manifold, behind the engine.

Thanks again for the help mate.