ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cheap ditch finder tyre review...

dan's cast offs.
well after some pleb...:innocent:...taking camber bolts out of the wife's car, forgetting to do the tracking and her then doing 2,500 miles inside edge of her v12's have scrubbed off!!!!

decided to really push the boat out and throw a pair of these on it tomorrow morning...

86329.jpg

at £30 each it would be rude not to!! tread pattern doesn't look to bad, blocks are small so shouldn't get much squirm, sipes are small though and not a full depth so not sure how they will be with standing water when they are a bit worn but time will tell.

so will we end up upside down in a ditch or will they be ok?

200 Cup, 435d, 2xMX5
Just bought a 200 with these exact tyres, so annoyed that someone would ruin such a good car by skimping and saving £100-120. :down:

Will have some nearly new 17s for sale shortly! 😂

Clio 197,with megan'
I have run cheap tyres on the road,BUT, different ones for track. I have found cheap tyres are quite adequate for normal day use, and that includes frozen/wet/snow covered roads here in N/E Scotland, and NO, I haven't had any accidents running cheap tyres!.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on hifly805
They are fine.
I give them death and still they hang on.

Some cheap tyres are OK. I had Nexen N2000 Roadstones on my 1.2 and they were better than the T1Rs that replaced them. However there are also some really s**t budget tyres, for example Sunews. You won't know what you've got until you put them on though.

RB Clio 182
Im looking forward to getting these goodyear ultragrips off mine!

They should be renamed goodyear ultraslips!

PH2 172
Some cheap tyres are OK. I had Nexen N2000 Roadstones on my 1.2 and they were better than the T1Rs that replaced them. However there are also some really s**t budget tyres, for example Sunews. You won't know what you've got until you put them on though.

Camskill have a flood on new budget tyres,all B rated wet,in clio 15" & 16" sizes in the £28-£34 price bracket.

dan's cast offs.
on the car so far we've had

nankang NS2, not a bad tyre, ok in the dry and wet but not amazing when you start to push it in the wet.
nankang NS20, SHITE!! would struggle to keep traction pulling off in a straight line in the wet!! bit iffy cornering when pushing it in the dry, not awful but you could feel the front starting to tuck.
hankook ventus V12 evo2 (?) very good tyre. great in the wet as well, had to give it some stick to get the front to tuck and even then no scary moments.

and on to the £30 tyres...found out they aren't called AAA because they make you go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you try and corner!!

they balanced with 10g one one and 20g on the other so promising start.
took the car out and kicked it's head in!! fresh tyres, around 5deg and damp roads. got a test route i normally do when trying to find knocks, get abs to kick in and see how much i can hurl a car round. it did fine!!

don about 30 miles with them on today booting it wherever possible and they seem good so far. i'd say probably on par with the hankook. would of liked it to of been a frosty day to see how good/bad they were but that will have to wait for now. be nice to get them on dry road with it a touch warmer as well to see how they behave.

so not dead or crashed as yet...

PH2 172
on the car so far we've had

nankang NS2, not a bad tyre, ok in the dry and wet but not amazing when you start to push it in the wet.
nankang NS20, SHITE!! would struggle to keep traction pulling off in a straight line in the wet!! bit iffy cornering when pushing it in the dry, not awful but you could feel the front starting to tuck.
hankook ventus V12 evo2 (?) very good tyre. great in the wet as well, had to give it some stick to get the front to tuck and even then no scary moments.

and on to the £30 tyres...found out they aren't called AAA because they make you go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you try and corner!!

they balanced with 10g one one and 20g on the other so promising start.
took the car out and kicked it's head in!! fresh tyres, around 5deg and damp roads. got a test route i normally do when trying to find knocks, get abs to kick in and see how much i can hurl a car round. it did fine!!

don about 30 miles with them on today booting it wherever possible and they seem good so far. i'd say probably on par with the hankook. would of liked it to of been a frosty day to see how good/bad they were but that will have to wait for now. be nice to get them on dry road with it a touch warmer as well to see how they behave.

so not dead or crashed as yet...

Probably get better once you finish scrubbing the release agent off.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got the nankang ns2 on mine. Grip in the dry is good even when pushing but when its wet you have to clinch your bumcheeks a bit and crack on.

My current 172 had budgets on all round (were quite new) so thought id may aswel get some use out of them and surprisingly they weren't actually as bad as i was expecting

I probs spend more on tyres for the mrs car than i do my own (Swift Sport) and has Michelin PS3 up front with PE2 on the rear and that thing just grips and grips.
Had once fitted rainsport 3's onit and they were absolutely shite and got binned off, however iv not got RS3 on my clio and theyre ok.. weird how much they differ between the 2 cars

RB Clio 182
Had once fitted rainsport 3's onit and they were absolutely shite and got binned off, however iv not got RS3 on my clio and theyre ok.. weird how much they differ between the 2 cars
The clio just handles better than the swift, theres no paramormal activity s**t going on mate.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
Budget tyres give the feeling of a hire car.... and everyone know's they are the fastest and best handling cars produced ;)

To be fair, budgets on a daily that doesn't get pushed should be fine. My go to budget are the Nankangs although not bought a set for any of my cars in years.

Tyres do differ between cars, but tends to be a weight thing, related to sidewall stiffness. I love rainsports on small light cars, but theyre too soft on big saloon cars IMHO.

For what they cost, I rarely look past RS3 or goodyear eagle Assymetric 2/3 tbh. The 'saving' isnt worth making on some parts.

As for not being pushed, that's fine, until one day you really need to stop. That last ten feet can be really expensive.....

Swift Sport
IMO unless you're doing trackdays on budget tyres you're never really going to 'test' their capabilities unless you're emergency braking into Tesco's every Sunday.

And with that in mind, I did Oulton Park in the rain in my MX-5 on Nankang NS-20's with stock brakes and no ABS. I think the guys in the TVR's we're having less traction issues!

Listerine & Poledo
And with that in mind, I did Oulton Park in the rain in my MX-5 on Nankang NS-20's with stock brakes and no ABS. I think the guys in the TVR's we're having less traction issues!

The joys of weighing less than their engine :/

BMW M4; S1000 RR
IMO unless you're doing trackdays on budget tyres you're never really going to 'test' their capabilities unless you're emergency braking into Tesco's every Sunday.

You can't plan emergency braking.

And you can definitely 'test' the capabilities of a s**t tyre on the road.

Listerine & Poledo
And you can definitely 'test' the capabilities of a s**t tyre on the road.

Depending on the tyre whether it's much of a 'test' or not.

Given how we see cars getting totalled every day, people clearly can test their tyres, they were also testing their abilities at the same time, and both come up short.

Anyone barrel-rolled a 172 Cup today?

Swift Sport
Well after 20 years of driving I've never had to stamp on the brakes, not to a point where cheap tyres would've caused me to crash. Maybe I've just never experienced really s**t tyres.

Listerine & Poledo
Well after 20 years of driving I've never had to stamp on the brakes, not to a point where cheap tyres would've caused me to crash. Maybe I've just never experienced really s**t tyres.
I've only had one truly 400% brake-pedal emergency stop.
Seemingly 50% worn Proxes can still heave an MX5 to a standstill, even when it's pulling an endo.

Isn't that right @Scrooge & @Rob ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've only had one truly 400% brake-pedal emergency stop.
Seemingly 50% worn Proxes can still heave an MX5 to a standstill, even when it's pulling an endo.

Isn't that right @Scrooge & @Rob :wink:

The difference is the mx5 struggled to stop as well as mine and robs, seeing the Mazda endo in my mirror was frightening lol