ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheap laser printer

I am after a cheapy laser printer, looking at second hand ones on Ebay from office clearances etc.

Through school, college, and various work places everywhere I have been have used HP LaserJet printers.

The toners seem reasonably priced, the printers themselves have been going for over ten years and seem to be quite reliable.

Seem to be able to get a used one for around £60. Are they known as a fairly decent laser printer or are there any particular makes and models I should look for.

PPM and the print quality isn't hugely important as it will be mostly for printing invoices etc. But availability and value for toners are most important.

Don't really want to spend that much on one, but if they are cheaper second hand I can go down that route.

Any model numbers in particular on the later ones?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Beware the toner price. HP are pretty much on the ball with you using compatible toners as well. Though in my experience they tend to be a lot more fussy on the colour laser printers rather than the straight-forward mono ones.

Double check what you're looking at as well. HP lkes putting drum units and toners together, but other manufacturers have these as seperate items. Swings and roundabouts with costs really.

D.

with older used printers you may have issues with them needing maintanence and that could cost more than the printer ! a fuser could cost you 200 on something like a 4000 series

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
with older used printers you may have issues with them needing maintanence and that could cost more than the printer ! a fuser could cost you 200 on something like a 4000 series

Ah - maintenance kits - yep, not cheap. One we got two weeks ago for work was nearly £500 and consisted of little more than a fuser unit, pickup roller and three tray rollers. I doubt very much you'll be going for a Laserjet 9040 though - even second hand!

D.

Was looking at the 4000, 4050 and 5N, that sort of thing.

Most are sold as refurbished, but if they cost that much to fix I imagine they are very basically refurbished - more like cleaned and given a quick check over.

14' Leon Cupra 280
If it's just for printing invoices and print quality isn't important, why a laser printer? Just get a cheap inkjet? I only print black, and my ink is £1 a cartridge, just a thought?

If it's just for printing invoices and print quality isn't important, why a laser printer? Just get a cheap inkjet? I only print black, and my ink is £1 a cartridge, just a thought?

You have a point really.

What printer do you have that costs a quid a cartridge?

14' Leon Cupra 280
It's just a cheap Epson All in One job, so probably same size as a laser, if not smaller. Then I bought 4 Full sets of ink from InkRedible, they've gone slightly up, but I got them for £16.99. Doesn't have to be genuine or decent, not weren't going to be used for photos :)