ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheapest way into Mac ownership?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Hi I'm posting this on behalf of my girlfriend who has a very old iMac which is on its last legs. She's looking to replace it, but not sure what with yet. The main options she's considering is either a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, or a Mac mini. She does use Photoshop a lot, and sometimes photo editing, so she wants power! Would the Air or mini be powerful enough for stuff like that? She also wants to invest in another TV soon so thought that connected up the mini might be a good way to go. I had a look at a few configurations and it seems increasing the RAM would be good... do you reckon 8Gb would be enough? You also have the choice between dual core or quad core on the processor. I know you can just keep adding up to get the best but this really is about keeping the price as low as possible.

If she went for a MacBook she did mention she could sell her iPad 4 to 'save' some money as she could use that at a desk and on the sofa etc.

She can get 12% off anything brand new from Apple which helps, and I think makes refurbished units a moot point. There's always eBay but I think she'd rather keep it brand new if possible.

Any recommendations? Cheers.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
MacBook Pro retina. Powerful , nice screen and light.

I'm sure I ran a programme on my mac to check ram usage and in 3 years it's never been short of ram and I use aperture etc

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Any reason why she doesn't fancy a new iMac? I absolutely love mine, wouldn't swap it for any other computer tbh.

It really is true what they say about going back...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390770795.270681.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Price mate... Mac mini starts at £500! She definitely wants to keep whatever she gets under a grand.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
She doesn't actually have a screen atm apart from her current iMac, but as I said, she wants to get a new TV soon so could use that.

AdDaMan: What's the best specification to be looking for for around the £500-750 mark? Something that's going to last her a fair few years :)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
She doesn't actually have a screen atm apart from her current iMac, but as I said, she wants to get a new TV soon so could use that.

AdDaMan: What's the best specification to be looking for for around the £500-750 mark? Something that's going to last her a fair few years :)

A quad core i7 with 4gb/8gb ram. RAM and HDD is easily upgradeable to 16GB RAM and a 256/512gb SSD and you will have a seriously fast machine that will last years for around £800.

2011 onwards.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Wow thanks for going to the trouble of finding the link. Don't think she's ready to purchase right this minute but I'll pass it on to her for a look.

On a side note, man AVFourms has changed! Haven't been on there for a while I guess.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
someone will correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think too much RAM is crucial in a mac. I ran a programme once and it said in 4 years of ownership,I've never had a Ram shortage (12gb). I do use Aperture/PSE etc.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
someone will correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think too much RAM is crucial in a mac. I ran a programme once and it said in 4 years of ownership,I've never had a Ram shortage (12gb). I do use Aperture/PSE etc.

Yes your right. I had 16GB and it was total overkill tbh. No need for more than 8 really.

Clio 197 RB
Use the student discount. I used it and it saved me about £200 on my MacBook Pro Retina!
someone chucked up a link for me!!