ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

chipp’in a 182

id avoid a "one fits all chip" get the car remapped on a RR or get a piggyback ecu fitted and have that set up on a RR, basic chips are w**k.

Shhh

So whats best then.? and how much, remember im not that technical in cars so therefore explain it like im a women..

Alias

basically a superchip or similar will be set up to be "plug and play" in other words an approximation. a piggyback and rolling road set up or remap on a rolling road is tuned for your car. in theory all models should be the same ie a 182 should be identical to the next but due to mass production this isnt always the case so to get the best performance increase and know the car isnt running too rich or too lean with your off the shelf superchip its better to have it tuned specifically for your car. the benefit being you can always have a piggyback or remap adjusted if and when you make other mods to get the best out of them.

With a normally-aspirated engine like that of the 182 (i.e. non turbo/supercharger), the scope for "re-mapping" the settings for fuelling are limited. The reason that forced induction cars (i.e. turbos) see relatively large gains is that there is scope for larger adjustments to fuelling and of course peak boost pressure.

NA cars therefore dont gain much from chips - perhaps a little driveability, but relatively little power. Custom mapping helps iron out problems and match modifications like cams etc. (sometimes also induction, if the car runs lean with an induction kit).

youll need to tell the insurance, some get stroppy about chips but all will want you to disclose any mods made to the car. as for warranty you will probably void the cover on the ecu but as for anything else its hard to say. some dealers are more understanding than others.

There are no quick or easy power gains for most NA engines. The inlet system and exhaust are pretty well optimised on the 172/182 (more so) in any case.

When i was a member of the PGAC quite a few people had there existing ECUs remapped by JAMSPORT, at around the figure of £400 its probably the same price as a superchip but better as said before its mapped for your car. The lads who had it done swore by it and gaind aproven increace on the RR.

I had a Dastek fitted to my 106 and TBH it made next to no diference, infact i thought it was mapped crap, and made the car worse to drive, though that will have been down to who mapped it. Also not all parameters could be changed i.e.the rev limit couldnt be raised without an add-on.

nope, the chip will adjust things to improve the performance but it will be a minimal improvement a remap on a RR or a piggyback unit and RR set up will give you the biggest gains you can expect from just a "chip". you have to take into consideration that the programming of the ecus on the car from the factory arent the best power the car can achieve, the manufacturer has to treat the owner as an idiot because in most cases they are. they have to presume that they will drive it hard from cold hammer it all the time and possibly run past the service intervals. when you tune a car in anyway you are backing off the safety tolerances the manufacturer builds in to safegaurd the car from idiots. an F1 engine will only last one race yet produces silly power so you have to look at engineering being a trade off between performance and lifespan/reliability. a chip or most tuning you will do to a car wont make a drastic difference to the reliability or life of the engine but it will mean you have to be abit more mechanically sympathetic with your driving style from cold etc and how often you change the oil/service the car.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sadly hes taken alot of lsd!

15bhp! My "drive through the garage" 200bhp A.R.S.E conversion is still available at all kwik fits.

Contact mailto:earnieisatit@a.r.s.emotorsport.com">earnieisatit@a.r.s.emotorsport.com