ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

chopping springs

R35 GTR
ah b****cks, yeh do it crash and die. Take out a load of kids with you and put all our insurance premiums up by voiding your insurance....

just my view.

golf
how is it dangerious? surely its evenly as dangeriious as going 60 as the dampers are compressed alot

Chopping the springs compromises the strength of the spring, for this reason.

During the design process , the spring is spec'd to the weight of the car, so the weight of the car is dissipated evenly throughout the length of the spring.

By chopping the spring you are decreasing the length of the spring which means that the weight of the car is being dissipated through what is essentially a smaller compression area.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
also a mate of mine did this and took a bridge a bit quick. yeah the springs basically fell out and he wrote it off! up to you tho!

and not too sure about the custom springs???

just get coils if you want it lower than 60mm, or the better idea, save your money then buy a better car ? pehaps i higher spec one or a faster one ?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

that thread was soooooo funny

Right, i am gutted, i have recently lowered my car 40mm just 2 weeks ago

and an now faced with having to put my old springs back on as ZURICH

wont let me mod my car and my old man is a judge and wont let me drive

with no insurance. Is it at all possible to shorten the lenth of my standard

springs. i have thought of cutting them, leaving them in spring clamps all

night and even putting them in the freezer! does anyone have any help

and suggestions. also is there anyway to get around the insurance, i have

thought of opening a new 3 month policy and painting my lowered springs

black, what do people think? please help

they're not f**king conkers you plonkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

1.6 focus zetec....
Depends how hardcore you are... i know LOADS of people that have done it and never had a problem

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i bought my first clio with chopped springs, never really had a problem with them to be honest.
was funny as i found out the car had no service history and renault sold it as fully serviced, then i found out about the springs after it was sold to me with a full MOT, needless to say i didnt use much lube when i rammed the area manager a good one.

anyway, the car was strictly safe, didnt have any problems with it but obviously as said above it does seriously compromise the car so never do it!

172 ff silver
back in 98 when i first passed my test i had a mk2 fiesta xr2 and me and my mate cut all the springs in half :cool:

well it had almost no suspension what so ever but it did stick like fcuk

all was fine untill one day i got air on a hump round some country lane and the nsr spring actually fell out. it was still there just completely dislocated and when i stopped the osf wheel was nearly in the air it was that lobsided

tbh i wouldnt recomend it as its a proper bodge

said mate used to lower his cars by cutting the springs in situ with a 9" grinder, he was a bit tapped to say the least but it saved him money :rasp:

SLK 350
My question having had a coiled 172 would be why the fk would you ever want to go lower than 60mm as the car becomes completely unusable on road or track - speed humps/multi-stories/passengers/bridges will all fk you over.

Stupido.

RenaultSport 172.
ive chopped springs in the past.

not a problem

passed MOT.

nuff said.

(NEVER cut any more than 2 coils off though as thats when it starts to become dangerous!)

Chopping springs is a game for retarded pikeys, it's not safe or clever. Nobody will lose any sleep if you kill yourself as a result of this type of bodge but there are other people on the road who you may take with you.

ul never be able to cut them accurately. . .honestly no point in cutting corners, just do it the proper way to avoid future hastle,if u got a budget get a full sus kit, or springs(60mm springs 'might' give you trouble though)works for some i guess, but thats if your willing to experiment

Dangerous, stupid and an MOT failure.
Doens't fail the Mot unless they don't sit and it can be seem or the dampers are failed usualy though you get owners of old worn out cars more so doing this so there dampers are going to fail anyway.

I agree though stupid thing to do when doing it with springs is so cheap realy.