ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Circuit rules and regulations - taking photos

Afternoon all,

From looking through the motorsport guide and doing various searches I couldn't find this specific subject....

I'm essentially after a little bit of advice from the seasoned motorsport photographers amongst us. I have the day off on Friday and have found out that there's a track day at Castle Combe, so thought I might pitch up with the camera. Phoned the circuit to find out about arrangements and I got 101 questions, regarding the nature of my trip, what I'd be doing with my photos, my name......and also whether I'd be selling the photos.

Anyway just after a little bit of advice about pitching up to circuits and taking photos of track days - bottom line is I just want to get out and snap some cars on a circuit and play with different techniques etc. So any guidance / advice would be much appreciated in terms of what I can / cannot do, whether specific to Castle Combe or elsewhere, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

That's very interesting, never heard of them questioning anyone attending. Did they specifically say you couldn't attend, even if just for personal use/practice? They probably just wanted to make sure you were not going along to try and sell your pics.

Basically, turn up. The circuit is always open so there is nothing to stop you and they have never questioned myself or anyone I know at a trackday. They could of course ask you to leave (legally) as it's private property, but I'm 100% sure they wouldn't it's a very friendly family run circuit. If in doubt, say you are spectating as you have friends on the circuit, iirc trackday drivers are allowed to take spectators anyway.

The only time you would run into problems is if you popped down on the off chance and the circuit was being hired for commercial use (i.e. Top Gear and Fifth Gear hire it occasionally, as do car manufacturers), that would obviously be grounds for being asked to leave.

Do you mind if ask on the Castle Combe forum with reference to what they asked you, just to clarify?

No they said I was welcome to turn up - but this was after asking all of the various questions. They did sort of intimate that you do need to phone them up in advance....which I thought was strange and hence the reason I posted on here. Interestingly they even asked if I be posting my photos on websites......which I found bizarre in this day and age.

My concern / questions stem from the fact that it is ultimately private property, all be it open to the public for various events etc.

I intend to head down, weather permitting, and see what I can shoot.

That's quite odd. Ironically, the Castle Combe forum usually has a post or two after a trackday with pictures, the staff do contribute to the forum regularly and have never highlighted it as an issue.

I will say though, as a rule of thumb, some conscientious photographers will blank out numberplates from trackdays as understandably some of the drivers may not expect to have their photo taken. Things such as Action Days which are clearly a public event are fine, but mid-week trackdays are a little different.

Oil Burner
I suspect you slightly mis-understood/interprited the phone call (they probably get tons of similar phonecalls, so may have been a bit fed-up of answering the questions), the tracks are normally 100% fine with you taking photos as long as you stay where you are allowed and dont sell the images.

Just turn up, i promise you wont be the only one there.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
The only time i ever get questioned by marshalls at mallory is when u have to go round the grass near a hairpin. Obviously you have to wait by the marshalls hut until the racing has stopped. All they ask is whether i'm a signed on photographer or not. I've said no each time they ask, and they just let me through. No idea why it would matter though?

I think the key bit here is whether you'd be selling the photos. Most track days/circuits have exclusive deals with photography companies who then sell the photos to the drivers. If you are not taking photos to sell and just for a hobby then there is no reason they would have any problems with you going.

I think the key bit here is whether you'd be selling the photos. Most track days/circuits have exclusive deals with photography companies who then sell the photos to the drivers.

That's correct, Combe use a local photographer who sells prints to the trackday folk.

Marshals always like to know where photographers are and if they're signed on or not - we're responsible for your safety as well as ours. If there's a big incident at a particular section and photographer gets injured - the marshal may not know you're there and so won't call for the necessary assistance. Some marshals are nice and friendly to chat to too ;)

I do indeed mate, last year was up at Croft just about every weekend, visiting other circuits too. Might do a little less of it this year, and a little more photography :)

Clio 172
Nice one mate.
On a different subject i feel as if i need to apologize for f*****g off from the meet yesterday without saying out to anyone,I'd just had enough of the weather & wanted to get home..............

Lol, no worries. Was fun following you and liked the CMcRae sticker on the back :) PM me if you fancy coming marshalling one day/weekend :)