ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Civic Type R Engine !!

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
People are dumping these in mini's now aint they? So it should fit in a mk1.

Your dead right. I know a few people with these and they piss on pretty much all other fwd cars........CRAZY!! Shouldn't be to hard to fit to a big engine bay like a clio.

Tav

Clio 197
I'd say better than the 172/182 engine but not worth the trouble of transplanting.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
They really arn't all there cut out to be

Lol If you give your car constant stick there's nothing that comes close to being as reliable. They've been ahead of everything for ages as far as stock N/A engines are concerned anyway. There are people fitting turbo's to them and getting stupid/unbeleivable power from them and reliably. I think I recall someone doing it to an S2000 and gettng well over 500bhp.....without even cracking the block open. Ive spent many thousands on engines but can't think of a much better 2 liter engine from the factory. Thats just my opinion though

I wouldn't complain if my car went like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3LmIuovYQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj3LmIuovYQ

PH1 172 Sport
I talking about the engine in stock form. IMO it lacks low down grunt and has to be driven way to hard to get the best out of it and the one my friend had was very thirsty.

However I do agree that as far as reliabilty goes theres nothing that can touch them. Theres a video on youtube of one of these running without oil and water for a very long time before failing.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I talking about the engine in stock form. IMO it lacks low down grunt and has to be driven way to hard to get the best out of it and the one my friend had was very thirsty.

You do have a valid point with the low down grunt but this is the whole point of Vtec motors mate. Docile and easy to drive low down but with the peak torque/power well up the rev range for when you want it. It might feel like your driving them "way too hard" but this is what they are designed to do. Its like getting on the seat of a modern sports bike and complaining that you have to rev it to 14000 rpm to get the best from it.....thats the whole point of it.

Insignia SRi
Iv got an old max power mag indoors and some american guy is running 580hp out of a blown civic lump!!!

Reckons it can blow a nex viper away with ease????

PH1 172 Sport
You do have a valid point with the low down grunt but this is the whole point of Vtec motors mate. Docile and easy to drive low down but with the peak torque/power well up the rev range for when you want it. It might feel like your driving them "way too hard" but this is what they are designed to do. Its like getting on the seat of a modern sports bike and complaining that you have to rev it to 14000 rpm to get the best from it.....thats the whole point of it.

But 90% of the time when you need the acceleration and mid gear torque you dont want to be changing down and reving the nuts off of it to achieve it. (Well I dont anyway) I know the clios not got the best torque curve in the world but its got enough low down to make it bearable for my daily motorway commute! I would love one of the old shape Type R's though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
compaired to a B series or K20 it is lol, ive yet to come up against a honda thats quicker than my 172 and ive had a blast with everything other than an s2k and a dc5

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
compaired to a B series or K20 it is lol, ive yet to come up against a honda thats quicker than my 172 and ive had a blast with everything other than an s2k and a dc5

Is your 172 standard? I've never had a problem with any RS clio since i've had my fn2, after about 90 or so anyway, off the mark I reckon a 172/182 would hump me though..

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
But 90% of the time when you need the acceleration and mid gear torque you dont want to be changing down and reving the nuts off of it to achieve it. (Well I dont anyway) I know the clios not got the best torque curve in the world but its got enough low down to make it bearable for my daily motorway commute! I would love one of the old shape Type R's though.

Theres a few members on here with 197's, had them rolling roaded and they've made something along the lines of 204bhp/ 144lb/ft torque... Which is basically the same as a k20 engine..

The whole point in a high revving civic is all about the cornering, you KNOW you can drop a gear coming up to a corner and you'll be miles off the limiter, it's very easy to keep in the peak power band due to the way the engine has been designed, I found it a lot more difficult in my 172..

S3, Polo
I think I recall someone doing it to an S2000 and gettng well over 500bhp.....without even cracking the block open. Ive spent many thousands on engines but can't think of a much better 2 liter engine from the factory. Thats just my opinion though

Are you trying to say people have transplanted a Civic Type-R engine (K20a) into an S2000?

If you are saying that, why would you swap the 240bhp 2.0ltr 4-pot (F20c) in the S2K, for a 197bhp 2.0ltr 4 (K20a)?

If you reckon you can get 500bhp by strapping a turbo onto a stock F20c, your engine won't last 5 minutes. A guy tried this on S2Ki and ended up blowing it to bits and replacing all of the bits he should have uprated to begin with.

And the link you posted shows a mini with a B18 in it (from an ITR). The B16b was used in the old shape (JDM-only FK9 CTR).

Re OP: Civic EP3 - Engine is pretty solid, but gearboxes give up at ~300bhp.

:)

Last edited:
  S3, Polo

S2k is no quicker in a straight line than an EP3 (neither is the DC5 in real terms, only having +/- 20bhp extra). They shine in the corners though...

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
S2k is no quicker in a straight line than an EP3 (neither is the DC5 in real terms, only having +/- 20bhp extra). They shine in the corners though...

Think you'll find an S2000 pulls on a CTR no probs mate, My mate has one, not done a thing to it as he's an old man ( 33 ;) ) and he pulls away from me no problem.

My dad had an EP3 for a couple of years when they first came out which I drove a fair bit and I'm on my second RS so I think I've got a pretty good basis for comparison. Numerous drags with a mate who also had one and and tbh from a standstill or in gear there was very little to separate the two until you got towards 3figures when the CTR would edge away gradually as the 1*2 ran out of steam.

S3, Polo
Think you'll find an S2000 pulls on a CTR no probs mate, My mate has one, not done a thing to it as he's an old man ( 33 ;) ) and he pulls away from me no problem.

Being an older man (34 ;)) and having owned both an AP1 and an EP3 - and used both on track - the S2K is faster through corners but is no faster in a straight line. I guarantee it.

To say an S2000 pulls away "no problem" from an EP3 CTR is nonsense, sorry. :) *Unless it's wet - The Civic had shocking grip on stock Bridgestones!

Honda also quote both cars as having similar 0-60 times. S2K in 6.2 and EP3 in 6.5.

0.3s is such a small factor that you'd really not notice it in real terms.

Pic Whoring:
442185035_a7e693c8e6.jpg

456647677_ea377e4a4a.jpg

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Being an older man (34 ;)) and having owned both an AP1 and an EP3 - and used both on track - the S2K is faster through corners but is no faster in a straight line. I guarantee it.

To say an S2000 pulls away "no problem" from an EP3 CTR is nonsense, sorry. :) *Unless it's wet - The Civic had shocking grip on stock Bridgestones!

Honda also quote both cars as having similar 0-60 times. S2K in 6.2 and EP3 in 6.5.

0.3s is such a small factor that you'd really not notice it in real terms.

Pic Whoring:
442185035_a7e693c8e6.jpg

456647677_ea377e4a4a.jpg

3rd gear roll against my mates, even, soon as 4th gears in he's pulling away... hence where i'm getting my info from.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Are you trying to say people have transplanted a Civic Type-R engine (K20a) into an S2000?

If you are saying that, why would you swap the 240bhp 2.0ltr 4-pot (F20c) in the S2K, for a 197bhp 2.0ltr 4 (K20a)?

If you reckon you can get 500bhp by strapping a turbo onto a stock F20c, your engine won't last 5 minutes. A guy tried this on S2Ki and ended up blowing it to bits and replacing all of the bits he should have uprated to begin with.

And the link you posted shows a mini with a B18 in it (from an ITR). The B16b was used in the old shape (JDM-only FK9 CTR).

Re OP: Civic EP3 - Engine is pretty solid, but gearboxes give up at ~300bhp.

Sorry fella, wasn't quoting from engine numbers. Was just making a point of how strong Vtecs are in general. Your right about the mini. It is a Type R engine but from an Integra.

This was the turbo s2000 I remember. Not sure if its 700bhp but its definatly bloody quick for a stock bottom end.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/701whp-S2000-from-Hell_637353.htm

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Is your 172 standard? I've never had a problem with any RS clio since i've had my fn2, after about 90 or so anyway, off the mark I reckon a 172/182 would hump me though..

mildly breathed on, 190bhp 160lb/ft.

mates ek9 ctr used to pull on me in first as his LSD gave him a better start, 2nd gear upwords tho the 172 used to pull on it.

never had a standing start blast with an ep3 but had a blast up a motorway sliproad then down the motorway, he got a couple seconds head start before i got on the sliproad and i reeled him in and in but didnt pass him untill after 140 when he started running out of steam. it had an exhaust on it though dont know what if anything else.

ITB'd MK1
Sadly, the K20 is extremely good (never been a fan of v-tec).
Completely stock internals engine with a Rotrex C30-94 at 0.8bar made 310bhp. It would have done more easliy. Andy Mapped a modified N/A K20 in an elise and it made 277bhp with more to come if he raised the limiter

RB 182 with CUP packs

The DC5 or JDM CTR are quicker in a straight line. People just look @ the headline 20BHP difference, the power delivery is alot more aggressive in the DC5 & JDM CTR.

Ph1
Reason why Honda based engines are reliable is they dont run enough torque to break or stress components :rasp:

Jokes aside well engineerd lumps. Know a couple of lads who have had success and failure with Honda tuning.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d

However I do agree that as far as reliabilty goes theres nothing that can touch them. Theres a video on youtube of one of these running without oil and water for a very long time before failing.

My DC5 is no more thirsy than my 182 was :S

Low down power is nowhere as bad as i thought it would be, pulls great in 6th when cruising at 70mph

lol at the Torque comments. Out of the box an ep3 gives 145 lb-ft and a 182 150 lb-ft. 1*2's are lazy off cam and need to be kept over 5k to get decent acceleration out of too.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
mildly breathed on, 190bhp 160lb/ft.

mates ek9 ctr used to pull on me in first as his LSD gave him a better start, 2nd gear upwords tho the 172 used to pull on it.

never had a standing start blast with an ep3 but had a blast up a motorway sliproad then down the motorway, he got a couple seconds head start before i got on the sliproad and i reeled him in and in but didnt pass him untill after 140 when he started running out of steam. it had an exhaust on it though dont know what if anything else.

You really think an LSD helps that much on a standing start? I don't. They help put the power down when cornering by switching power between the drive shafts, they can also help against torque stear but thats not a masive problem with good chassis and not so "massive" power

PH1 172 Sport
My DC5 is no more thirsy than my 182 was :S

Low down power is nowhere as bad as i thought it would be, pulls great in 6th when cruising at 70mph

hmmmm I'm starting to think ive only had experiance of a sick Type-R!!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
hmmmm I'm starting to think ive only had experiance of a sick Type-R!!

Yeah possibly mate, i know a few people with ep3's and they've never said anything about fuel consuption. My bese mate has a 255bhp ep3 and it seems fine on fuel. Just keep out of vtec to save fuel really, i'd honestly say though there's not much between the clio and dc5 fuel wise (but that might change when i fit my mugen ecu in a couple of weeks :S )

PH1 172 Sport
Yeah possibly mate, i know a few people with ep3's and they've never said anything about fuel consuption. My bese mate has a 255bhp ep3 and it seems fine on fuel. Just keep out of vtec to save fuel really, i'd honestly say though there's not much between the clio and dc5 fuel wise (but that might change when i fit my mugen ecu in a couple of weeks :S )

I love the DC5 its definately near the top of the list for my next car.