ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cl-Audi Vee8

Clio
Say I had one of these....
112_0712_05z+2008_audi_RS4+engine.jpg

and one off these.... missing the engine.
Renault%20Clio%20V6%20Mk2%20-%20A%20Fabulous%20Driver%E2%80%99s%20Car_8.jpg

What would stop me putting the top one in the bottom?

From a technological point what would be the biggest hurdles to over come? Would it even fit?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Guessing that's a Vee?

Anything can be made to fit. Do it. I've got a screwdriver you can borrow.

The fact there there are no transverse gearbox options for the Audi engine at all, and it wouldnt fit accross the rear of the car even if there were, means you would have to go for a longitudinal layout, at which point the front two cylinders would be space sharing with your chest.

Why would you want to?

The fact there there are no transverse gearbox options for the Audi engine at all, and it wouldnt fit accross the rear of the car even if there were, means you would have to go for a longitudinal layout, at which point the front two cylinders would be space sharing with your chest.

Why would you want to?
Because Vee with engine > Vee with no engine.?

Clio
Guessing that's a Vee?

Anything can be made to fit. Do it. I've got a screwdriver you can borrow.
Cheers, Poly or flathead?

Why would you want to?
We choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard.

Also the V6 was a bit wimpy really. Needs a real engine.

I don't understand what you've written but I'm guessing you are saying it is too big?

330i. E30 Touring.
LS1/3.

Or ///M engine.

Or anything already suited to using RWD would be a much better start. From there, it's as simple as getting a box to fit, prop shaft to meet the Vee's diff. Mounting the engine. Wiring it all up. Controlling it with standalone most likely.

Yeah, it's a serious amount of money.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Custom fab some engine mounts. Then sort the transmission. Then there's the electrics (ABS, clocks etc)

Imagine the weight split on the car would be 80-20 after to ha

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I think we need to clarify. Do you want to put the engine in, or do you want to put it in and for it to actually work. 2 very different challenges.

Because Vee with engine > Vee with no engine.?
So buy a broken laguna? or if it takes your fancy, ANY other transverse mounted V6 would probably be possible

We choose to do these things not because they are easy but because they are hard.
I don't understand what you've written but I'm guessing you are saying it is too big?
Too in-completely-the-wrong-place mainly, but yes, even if you put it in the right orientation and position it's probably too big.

Converting the Audi setup from Quattro to RWD is probably the hardest part.
Converting to RWD is fine, converting to RWD with the wheels in the correct place quite another.

Audi engine and box:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQACIsBsRmwBq1X0XgGxs4izbRVVbCjEZpZg4z5pcM5kaV4ALLpw.jpg

Cant find a Vee engine, but hese's a conventional transverse layout:
hayabusa-v8-transversal.jpg

Im sure you can see the problem.

LS1/3.

Or ///M engine.

Or anything already suited to using RWD would be a much better start. From there, it's as simple as getting a box to fit, prop shaft to meet the Vee's diff. Mounting the engine. Wiring it all up. Controlling it with standalone most likely.

Yeah, it's a serious amount of money.
Except wrong. Its transverse rear engine RWD, so in effect it's a FWD engine and box, so nothing youve mentioned will fit due to the aforementioned lack of transverse gearboxes. Cadillac Northstar V8 would be a vague possibility.

Custom fab some engine mounts. Then sort the transmission. Then there's the electrics (ABS, clocks etc)

Imagine the weight split on the car would be 80-20 after to ha

The engine mounts and electrics aren't even a concern to someone actually capable of doing the job, and "sort the transmission" means make one, from scratch, as they don't exist :tongueout:

I'm all for forums being helpful places and entertaining the difficult and interesting projects, but there comes a point where you have to say "If you have to ask, then no, you can't"

You'd be better off starting with a normal front drive clio and converting it to mid-rear if you really wanted to using a FWD audi gearbox, but don't for a minute think of it as an 'engine swap'

Last edited:
  Clio
I think we need to clarify. Do you want to put the engine in, or do you want to put it in and for it to actually work. 2 very different challenges.
Preferably I'd like challenge 3 and not actually put it in but still work.
I'm all for forums being helpful places and entertaining the difficult and interesting projects, but there comes a point where you have to say "If you have to ask, then no, you can't"
My mate up the pub used to work for Hyundai and was head of servicing in his garage by the time he was 19. youngest person there to ever achieve that. He says he can do it if I supply the parts, I'm just asking, but he says not to worry as he knows how to do it.

Preferably I'd like challenge 3 and not actually put it in but still work.

My mate up the pub used to work for Hyundai and was head of servicing in his garage by the time he was 19. youngest person there to ever achieve that. He says he can do it if I supply the parts, I'm just asking, but he says not to worry as he knows how to do it.

In which case I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished product when it's on the road!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
someone on here was fitting a BAM engine to a vee, find them and ask how they overcame the box problems.

...although i dont think the box was the size of that audi one! lol at the size of that!

no wonder they weigh the same as an orca!

someone on here was fitting a BAM engine to a vee, find them and ask how they overcame the box problems.

...although i dont think the box was the size of that audi one! lol at the size of that!

no wonder they weigh the same as an orca!
Well for a start because the BAM engine is a 4 cylinder engine fitted to transverse cars, so therefore it will just drop in for want of mounts and shafts. Apart from 5 rings on the engine cover they literally have nothing in common.

$_1.jpg

Heres a transverse 4wd audi box, so a front wheel drive (transverse) box with a transfer case off the back for the prop to the rear wheels. Pop this off, replace with a 2wd box, drop BAM engine into Vee. Im not sure how the FWD box would fare on the end of the V8, like whether there is even room to get the long driveshaft past the block......

Clio
I still can't tell if you're serious, but christ alive I'd love to see this done!
Semi.
I know nothing about cars apart from passing my test. Was just wondering what was involved and if it would be worth having a blast. Notme doing any of the work.

Clio
i knew you couldn't stay away. I'm not quite sure why you have adviced me that? Do you mean I need to read up on car mechanics? I'm not doing the main work, just helping my mate up the pub.

Edit: Sorry that doesn't read right, we won't be doing the work up the pub, he is just a mate from up the pub and we'll be doing the work on his Dads driveway.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
It's a shame he's not got a pub, you could've had beer breaks in between building a new gearbox.

Why not just buy a fucked s4 and an engineless v6, chop the top off both and switch them around. A la @gtrnav and his cliopreza

... Just weld the Clio on the Audi backwards to the engine is in the right place.

And turn the gears around in the gearbox so you aren't driving it constantly with one forward gear and six reverse gears.