ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claims protected?

Renault Clio
I heard something today off someone that if you make a claim (after you've had a crash) and you have no claims protected (or something like that, which you have to pay extra for) that that stops your insurance going up once you get a new car. He said that that's the whole point of being protected. Is that true?

And on a slightly off-topic note, what do you think about buying a ph1 in 2009? Is it stupid considering the ph3 is now out? I had a ph2 last time and I'm looking for something cheaper. I'm just wondering how sensible it is to buy an old car. Thoughts?

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
you need to have 4 years NCD first before you can protect them, but iirc you still need to mark that you have an accident but you you keep the ncd you built up. i'm not sure if however you dont get another ncb, so say you crash in your 5th year, at the end of that you insead of going back to dot, you retain 4 years. so if you dont crash in the year after you will have 5. they say your insurance wont go up but it goes up any way whether you crash or not.

It prevents crashes from affecting the level of NCB you had at the start of the policy, however it varies from company to company, so if you have more than 1 claim, some companies may still remove some NCB, but less than they would if you didnt have it protected etc.

All in all its worth payin the extra £50 or whatever they charge for peace of mind imo.