ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying car this afternoon

Dear All

I am claying my girlfriend's car this afternoon in preparation for Auto Italia in Surrey tomorrow.

I have sonus clay, but no lubricant - is water and a small amount of shampoo okay? When I flatten it, do I just lightly rub it over the surface?

What do I do after I've finished? Dry the area with a mf cloth?

After that, I'm then polishing with Klass AIO and then after that applying the Megs 21# Sealant.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts.

James.

106 GTi
A decent amount of shampoo is needed. Do skimp on it or you will mark the paint.

I pre-wet the panel first with car soap and water via a wash mitt. Then using a pre mixed clay lube in a spray bottle add yet more soap to the panel first.

Mix up 3-4 cupfulls of shampoo in a small spray bottle with water.

Rinse, dry. I use a Dring towel MF rather than normal MFS, but they will do.

If you have any marks you will need a polish like Scratch X, (AIO is more of a cleaner) then onto the AIO and Sealant.

Yeah, I was hoping that AIO would cut into it a bit more actually as I tried it on a small panel a while ago but sadly doesn't.

I may well get some scratch x first - I don't know if I'll have time to do it all this afternoon.

More shampoo than I thought I'd have needed but I'll have a crack!

106 GTi
The purpose of the shampoo is to provide lubriction so the clay glides freely. Not enough and the clay with smear and stick to the paint. Better safe than sorry the slicker the better.

Octavia VRS
I did mine when it was wet(ish) and also sprayed detailer spray on each panel I was claying.

106 GTi
If claying with QD it is best to dry the panel first to avoid watering down the QD to much so its not as slick and wont do it's job.

I clay using soap and water so never bother to dry.