ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMW 440i Gtechniq Exo - New Car Detail

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thought I'd stick a thread up about this one. Helped my mate out with his new 440i at the weekend as he wanted to apply Exo to it but naturally wanted it swirl/mark free before going on.

Products used were:
Autoglym shampoo (advised him to get something better once Exo had been applied)
IronX/TarX
Bilt Hamber Clay
Menzerna PF2200 polish with an orange Hex pad
Gtechniq G1 and Exo
Megs Endurance Tyre Gel

Car was already pretty clean when we started (he cleaned it the day before) so was just given a quick going over with a mitt and 2 buckets. Iron X sprayed on the wheels, agitated and rinsed. Surprising amount of fallout on them, although we had done 120 miles of 'spirited' driving around some country roads the day before!

TarX then sprayed on front bumper, around wheel arches and around lower half of the car. Gave this a wipe down after a few minutes, rinsed the car again, dried and brought it inside.

We clayed the front bumper and up onto the bonnet, then around all 4 wheel arches, but a few test spots on other panels revealed pretty much nothing so pressed on and had a little look at the car under some LED floodlights.

IMG_20161002_122119.jpg

IMG_20161002_122126.jpg

IMG_20161002_122141.jpg

Apart from a large (light) scratch on the bootlid and a smaller scratch in front of the rear arch, there was very little marking on the car, as expected. The only real swirl marks came from the microfibre's we used to wipe the clay lube off with, as can be seen in the last photo.

Whole car was given a once over with an orange hex pad. Tried both white and green but neither seemed to really touch the small swirls above. Either BMW paint is fairly hard or I need to brush up on my technique...

The scratch I mentioned above at the rear arch was the most stubborn part. Looked like so initially:
IMG_20161002_161235.jpg

After one pass:
IMG_20161002_161900.jpg

And a second pass:
IMG_20161002_162428.jpg

Still there but it's barely noticeable now.

While I was polishing, my mate applied the G1 to the windows and buffed it off.

Car was given a full going over with Panel Wipe and then we went around the car twice with Exo. Very easy product to apply and remove!

And finished!
IMG_20161002_172821.jpg

IMG_20161002_184335.jpg

IMG_20161002_184409-01.jpg

IMG_20161002_172921.jpg

We ran out of time and didn't manage to get the wheels off and all sealed up with Exo but hopefully will be able to get it back in and get them done in the next week or so.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome! (In before "get a better camera" lol. Didn't think about lifting a proper camera before leaving the house sadly!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Great effort - though being that colour, I bet the wow effects don't last long!
Not looked into the specs of the 440i. Are they the spiritual successor to the 335i?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Great effort - though being that colour, I bet the wow effects don't last long!
Not looked into the specs of the 440i. Are they the spiritual successor to the 335i?
Tell me about it mate, same colour as my car and it's fairly swirly at only 3 years old. Need to give it the same treatment at some point. My mate is fairly OCD and careful with his car cleaning though so hopefully it last a little while!

440i has replaced the 435i and it's essentially just an ever so slightly more powerful version of the same car. It's a completely new engine design though with lots of new clever tech in it!