ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Claying Technique

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Hello all,

Whats the best way to clay your car? I've got little bits of tar all over and I had a go at claying it yesterday.

What I did was -
- clean the car,
- spray lube over the area affected,
- rub small section of clay bar from side to side over the tar spot.

This did basically sod all, so I'm guessing my technique is all wrong.

Am I supposed to dab it like blu tac on the tar to pull it off? It felt too slippery when I was doing it side to side? *clueless*

In a warm bowl of water, Take it out, Mould it flat.

Use soapy water as lube. Rub back and fourth.

Some areas may have no contamination, Some (like the bumper) there will be tar spots.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
if clay doesn't remove it you use tar remover matey.

your not supposed to use any pressure when claying just glide across. check the clay very often for black crap then fold it in...

when i clay i:
play with clay make it soft in the water, flatten it into a pancake, lube with left hand clay with right hand simultaniously, then wash car again after claying

good luck fella

2008 Albi 197
Clay won't remove stubborn tar spots straight away, I did mine today and it still has some left. What clay did you use? Some clays are tougher than others so will remove more, mine was a starter clay and it didn't remove the tar spots completely but started smoothing them down.

Make sure you polish and was over the part you clayed aswell as you'll have nothing protecting the paint there now

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
I used a Meguiars kit from Halfords.

I read the instructions on the back but it wasn't that clear to be honest. I might nip to halfords and get some Autoglym on the 3 for 2 and pick up some glass cleaner, tar remover and some SRP.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
OK, I'll pick some up tonight for a weekend of cleaning (predicted 25C here tomorrow!!)

Can you clay the wheels?

106 GTi
Once you have done the paint, use the clay next to do the glass and then finally the wheels, after which it will be ready for the bin! Works well though on wheels.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Best of using a tar remover rather than trying to shear off tar with Clay.

Ditto, much quicker and easier to use a tar remover as with clay all you're doing is skimming bits off the top which will take forever.

Autosmart Tardis is good for this, but AG stuff should be fine too.

106 GTi
If you want there is no reason you cant use it over the whole car, you will just need to re seal/wax after.

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
If you want there is no reason you cant use it over the whole car, you will just need to re seal/wax after.

cool..... so its similar to clay then in that when you use it you have to re-wax and seal...
What is a good clay for a beginner? Meguiars quick clay ok?

106 GTi
The tar remover will strip waxes and sealants like clay will.

Yeah the Megs is a good product.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Weather looks good here today, might give the car the following treatment this evening.

Wash and rinse with warm water,
Shampoo,
Intensive Tar Remover, hit the bad spots on the car,
Rinse,
Clay - Meguirs Smooth Surface Clay kit,
Polish with SRP,
Car Lacker prep,
Seal with Collinite 476S.

I want to take my wheels off and clean them inside and out with SRP, then seal them with Collinite.

I've seen a 2 tonne jack at Halfords that comes in a hard moulded plastic case and at the moment you get 2 free axle stands with it.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...rumb_33958-31562-38315_parentcategoryrn_33938

Would this suffice for taking the wheels off?

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
So its best to do a panel at a time with the clay, then when you are all done, re wash, then panel by panel SRP + EGP?

extreme 04
another thing you can use, is petrol, if you get a cloth and just dip it in petrol, just rub a bit and it comes straight off, but you have to make sure you rinse it all down very well afterwards or it can fade the paint..

ibiza cupra
solvent based degreasing panel wipe is also good at removing tar spots too and wont fade your paint.