ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cleaned the tdc and throttle body..

clio 172 cup
well guys i clean my (tdc) and (throttle body) today as car was running abit lumpy
any way i started by cleaning the (tdc) witch was not hard to do even no it abit tricky to get to so any way took it off and give it a good clean. then also remove the (throttle body) and give it a good clean as well then refitted it put the air box back and cold air feed pipes back so was good to go...so i started the car to see as it was running and yeah it was seemed to be running nice so took it for a nice drive. but dont no if it me but it seem to be more go when giving it any throttle. seems to pick up alot better.

just thinking if ther is any think els i can give a clean or check also will be changing ..(plugs).. (oil filter)..(oil)..(clean itg panel filter)..(changing gear box oil) and wot ever els.

Mk5 golf gti
Check if the correct plugs are in they should be NGK PFR6E10 s**tty garages always put crap ones in

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
Exactly the same here. The car definitely picks up better after cleaning both.

clio 172 cup
yeah was happy with the throttle response as it did seem to have abit more pull. i will be having the spark plugs out tomorrow to change so will be leting you no if thay are the right one in ther. also can any won please tell me wot oil i need to refill her with is it like 10-40 ect or wot also need to no the right gear oil to put in as i will be changing it as well..

cheers guys.

DMS

A thirsty 172
5w40 is recommended, though you can use 10w40 or in fact anything w40 IIRC without issues.
For what it's worth you might as well just stick with some decent 5w40 fully synthetic.

172DD Cup
check out opie oils website, some expensive stuff on there :)
were there any gaskets on the throttle body?

i did this to my vectra, but did the inlet manifold as well, pick up was definitely crisper. i'm just reluctant to touch anything that's not broken. although the pull of a crisper throttle response is appealing. fancy ported inlets too :)

172DD Cup
jim bowen supplying motor oil, what next?

what's this bullseye you speak of?

i've read that the 'car lube' make from europarts is ok for its price?

Phs 1 172
If you use Carlube make sure you get the Triple R brand as it is the better quality. I use Valvoline 5w40 fully synthetic in mine

clio 172 cup
right will i need a new inlet manifold gaskit when i go to change the spark plugs. also will these plugs and gear box oil do.

(1) platinum spark plugs o.k to use...are thay any good.

(2) is 75w80 castrol gear box oil any good even no 74w80 sould be used.

these are the the stuff i can pick up tomorrow but just need advive if the (gear box oil) and (plugs) are any good to stick in my clio 172 cup.

also still dont no the best oil to get for the money..dont wont to buy stuff like cheap halford oil...wont some think good for around £20 or so.

cheers thanks for this help guys.

Last edited:
  Mk5 golf gti
Nothing wrong with cheap halfords oil aslong as its regualry changed tbh

as for plugs look in the second post on here i gave you the right code

as for gearbox oil just use whats recomended

172DD Cup
top dead centre, its the point at which the piston in cylinder 1 is at its highest point.. i think.. theres a sensor that looks for this to help with the engine timing. if the sensors not working properly, the timing will be off.