ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaned up the arches...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
So today plan was to get the car up on the trolley jack, whip the wheels off and clean the arches which have never been done before. Things didnt go to plan and i'm now stuck with a trashed jacking point - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...air-Beyond-bending-back&p=9503373#post9503373

Well after I got over that I tackled the arches -

Rear Before:

IMG_4038.jpg

IMG_4039.jpg

I wasn't surprised how grotty they were, what did surprise me was the amount of 'Soil' that was trapped up against the skirt and up around the top of the turrets.

Tackled it with some Gunk Degreaser, let it dwell, gave it a scrub with a brush then liberally doused the arch with bilberry wheel cleaner before jetting it all off.

Front After:

IMG_4042.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4049.jpg

Rear before:

IMG_4045.jpg

Coated with Bilberry for a good soak

IMG_4048.jpg

I didn't get an after for the rear so some reason until the wheel was back on:

IMG_4050.jpg

What I have noted is that:

I need a new suspension set up as the rear KW's are very badly corroded (Both Springs and Shocks) and my Turini's are desperately in need of a refurb as they are very corroded inside the wheels -

IMG_4056.jpg

So next on the list -

Fix my retardedness issues with the jacking point, wheel refurb and a new set of KW's / AST or B14's

Was a worthwhile task though as the soil removed was all very damp and underneath some of the seams were starting to show signs of corrosion.

I find it strangely satisfying spending a good few hour's cleaning under my arches, skirts etc.. :) It's amazing how much crap gets stored there.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
There was a tonne of 'soil' around the fuel filler in the drivers rear arch, a good mug fulls worth.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Good stuff mate is nice to have the arches all clean need to do mine but I'm a lazy c**t.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Going to do my trophy soon, just been busy doing an arch detail on a 100k porsche turbo, my arse was nipping jacking that up with the experience of clio sills and jacking points.

J -- Car is looking good, coilovers came up a treat, I take it the bodies have the inox coating on them? I had my old coilovers on one of my 1*2's re-powdercoated, looked a million times better and you can choose what colours to go for :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Good effort, I really should do this on mine but can't be bothered! Silver on silver looks great.

Thanks, I would say its worth doing... You know in the rear arch where the skirt meets the arch, there is a little 'well' created where the seams meet.

This was full of damp 'soil' and when cleaned away was showing signs of corrosion I suspect due to the build up of dirt and retaining the damp.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Going to do my trophy soon, just been busy doing an arch detail on a 100k porsche turbo, my arse was nipping jacking that up with the experience of clio sills and jacking points.

J -- Car is looking good, coilovers came up a treat, I take it the bodies have the inox coating on them? I had my old coilovers on one of my 1*2's re-powdercoated, looked a million times better and you can choose what colours to go for :)

Yes, inox on the front units, the rear KW's are just powder coated / painted which has all corroded off.

The coilovers are tired though, they were originally on Bens old Throttle bodied PH1 and have been on my car for nearly 5 years now!

I toyed with the idea of a rebuild and discussed with KW, the rears were something like £120 each and I don't recall how much the fronts were but you are looking at the best part of £600ish which is 50% of the cost of new.

Thanks, I would say its worth doing... You know in the rear arch where the skirt meets the arch, there is a little 'well' created where the seams meet.

This was full of damp 'soil' and when cleaned away was showing signs of corrosion I suspect due to the build up of dirt and retaining the damp.
I know where you mean - I might have to get it done then. I'll have a look next time I give it a wash, cheers for the heads up.