ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cleaning help.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Basically, I need some advice when cleaning my car, there's so many threads on here with different answers and different questions, but I just want to ask my own for help.
I've just been using off the shelf cheap products so far to clean my car. I've been so basic with the process too,
Wash off any loose dirt with hose
Then basic car wash liquid with sponge
Wash off all dirt the soap
Dry with microfibre cloths
Turtle wax applied to small areas, then buffed off with microfibre cloths.

As you can see this is all very basic, but now that I've used up all the cheap stuff I would like some advice on what products to use and how to use them

Firstly what shampoo to use? I'd like to buy quite a big amount and not just a little bottle as I'm not the only one that uses it.
What sponge or mitt should I use to apply the soap?
I was using amazons microfibre cloths which probably aren't they great, can anyone suggest decent microfibre towels?
I've also struggled with drying my car quick enough even in dull weather. I've seen some people suggest spraying a quick detailer when drying?
I think the crap microfibre cloths didn't help with that
I'm in need of a decent wax for a black car too, and a decent cloth to buff off.
Any other tools that I might need would be appreciated.
Also glass cleaning, I need of a decent glass cleaner and how to apply it?
I hope someone can answer all of these as I'm struggling to find the answers in here.

Just basically in need of good products, tools to use and how to use them. Thanks

Last edited:

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
It's cheaper than buying all the detailing products tbh.
Now you've said that it got me thinking, it actually is I've probably spent £500 on my cleaning stuff including pressure washer ect and there's still loads id like to buy.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Now you've said that it got me thinking, it actually is I've probably spent £500 on my cleaning stuff including pressure washer ect and there's still loads id like to buy.

Oh Christ, I don't intend on spending that much all I'm after really is;
Shampoo
Drying microfibre towels
Glass cleaner
Good wax
Good wash mits
But just not sure what ones to get. So many different products out there!

Clio with a body kit
Shampoo - chemical guys Mr pink
Drying microfibre towels - Kent car care from b & q
Glass cleaner - stoners
Good wax - illusion auto finesse
Good wash mitts - microfibres madness incredimitt

I'd add a quick detailer to that list as well and some decent microfibres

Everyone will give different answers. But indeed it is a slippery slope to spending lots of money. I am far from a pro but my car cleaning gear has cost more than I want to think about.

I also had the thought it'd be cheaper to get a pro to do it but I actually enjoy it when I have the time and there's a lot of satisfaction.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
Shampoo - chemical guys Mr pink
Drying microfibre towels - Kent car care from b & q
Glass cleaner - stoners
Good wax - illusion auto finesse
Good wash mitts - microfibres madness incredimitt

I'd add a quick detailer to that list as well and some decent microfibres

Everyone will give different answers. But indeed it is a slippery slope to spending lots of money. I am far from a pro but my car cleaning gear has cost more than I want to think about.

I also had the thought it'd be cheaper to get a pro to do it but I actually enjoy it when I have the time and there's a lot of satisfaction.

Perfect thanks mate! I have a quick detailer, Megs I think! But I've never used it, how do I use it?

Indeed it is, I see so many people suggesting the most expensive products on other threads, that's not for me!

Satisfaction from it is the big one I think! Would leave it to a pro otherwise! I don't think I'd even send it to a pro, the satisfaction after I used the clay bar for the first time was massive! Haha

Thanks mate will give them a look, is cleanyourcar.com cheapest place with discount I suppose.

Clio with a body kit
Thanks mate will give them a look, is cleanyourcar.com cheapest place with discount I suppose.

I think most of them are priced similarly and give a good service. I order from where has the items I want, some have free postage some you need to have a certain spend amount.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you're not massively into car cleaning but just want a nice shiny car with minimal effort...

Meguires gold class shampoo

A good quality drying towel

Autoglym super resin polish or Auto finesse Triple. Both are easy and good.

3M glass cleaning foam and a glass cloth

Meguires endurance tyre gel

Auto finesse 'revive' trim restorer

A pack of micro fibre applicators and a pack of good quality micro fibre cloths.

I have about £2,000's worth of lotions potions and unicorn sperm but the above is all I use now as to anyone but an avid detailer, my cars look mint once they're done.

Titanium 182
You may already use the 2-3 bucket method, but seeing as though you didn't mention it, I'll just make sure you do! You should use this approach every wash, otherwise you're removing contaminates from your car, dumping them in your bucket of water and then picking them back up on your mitt and rubbing them all over your paint work. Grit guards are worth while too!
Also definitely get some large drying towels! No point in spending all that time washing your car down and having it dry leaving water spots everywhere. :fearscream:

Oh also, I've started using AF Triple topped with AF Tough Coat, both really well valued and the final result is brilliant. Lovely wet looking finish, I find the Tough Coat lasts me a good month before needing to reapply. I think it should last longer but I regularly park my car right next to the sea and the salt doesn't do the car any favours.

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
You may already use the 2-3 bucket method, but seeing as though you didn't mention it, I'll just make sure you do! You should use this approach every wash, otherwise you're removing contaminates from your car, dumping them in your bucket of water and then picking them back up on your mitt and rubbing them all over your paint work. Grit guards are worth while too!
Also definitely get some large drying towels! No point in spending all that time washing your car down and having it dry leaving water spots everywhere. :fearscream:

Oh also, I've started using AF Triple topped with AF Tough Coat, both really well valued and the final result is brilliant. Lovely wet looking finish, I find the Tough Coat lasts me a good month before needing to reapply. I think it should last longer but I regularly park my car right next to the sea and the salt doesn't do the car any favours.

Yeah I use that method haha, problem is I just use a sponge I think, which is crap for cleaning I've heard!

Grit guards?

Yeah I have smaller microfibre towels but it still struggle to dry the car quick enough, I'm guessing a bigger towel makes this easier?

Thanks for the tips!

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
This may be worth reading for you. It's worth looking into every product you get to make sure it's right for you and that you know how to use it properly to get the best out of it (and avoid any accidents or wasted products!)

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/quick-detailing-the-facts.html

I think most of them are priced similarly and give a good service. I order from where has the items I want, some have free postage some you need to have a certain spend amount.

Thanks mate looks good will give that a read!

Titanium 182
Can't recall the brand of my towel but it'll dry the whole car without needs to be rung out at all so yea it helps!

Grit guards sit in the bottom of your bucket and prevent the loose dirt from moving towards the top and making it's way back onto your mitt/sponge. Every little helps lol

Tomo_Rep.97

ClioSport Club Member
If you're not massively into car cleaning but just want a nice shiny car with minimal effort...

Meguires gold class shampoo

A good quality drying towel

Autoglym super resin polish or Auto finesse Triple. Both are easy and good.

3M glass cleaning foam and a glass cloth

Meguires endurance tyre gel

Auto finesse 'revive' trim restorer

A pack of micro fibre applicators and a pack of good quality micro fibre cloths.

I have about £2,000's worth of lotions potions and unicorn sperm but the above is all I use now as to anyone but an avid detailer, my cars look mint once they're done.

Thanks! Will have a look at all the products suggested and will choose the ones I like, thanks for your help! That's what I'm after really, best looking minimal effort, I do like looking after my car but don't want to be spending all day doing it haha and having millions of different cloths